VIRUS'S AND VACCINES

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
HAVING HAD SHINGLES AND THEN SIX MONTHS LATER GIVEN THE SHINGLES VACCINE BY MY GP WHO SAID IT WAS ADVISABLE TO HAVE IT GIVEN I HAD SHINGLES SIX MONTHS EARLIER, SO I HAD THE VACCINE AND HEY PRESTO I DEVELOP TYPE 1 DIABETES AT THE AGE OF 72 YEARS, HEALTHY ALL MY LIFE, WITH NO HEALTH ISSUES.
I WENT BACK TO THE SAID GP WHO SAID HE DIDNT KNOW IF THERE WAS A LINK AS HE DIDNT KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT DIABETES GO TO THE DIABETES NURSE. IN SEEING YET ANOTHER DOCTOR LAST WEEK HE ASKED ME WHY WAS I GIVEN THE SHINGLES VACCINE SO SOON AFTER HAVING THE VIRUS? AS YOU SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN GIVEN IT AS I STILL HAD ANTI-BODIES OF THE VIRUS STILL IN MY SYSTEM.
WHEN I ASKED COULD THIS HAVE BEEN THE ACTUAL CAUSE FOR MY CONDITION NOW, WELL, HE SAID IT COULD HAVE WIPED OUT YOUR REMAINING AUTO IMMUNE SYSTEM CELLS. BUT WE DON'T KNOW THIS FOR SURE, GIVEN MY HISTORY OF HEALTH AND MY AGE THEN I HAVE TO GO WITH HAVING THE VACCINE SOON AFTER THE VIRUS I DONT CARE WHAT THEY SAY, THIS IS THE CAUSE OF MY DIABETES.
I WOULD SAY TO ANYONE OUT THERE, THINK VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE HAVING VACCINES IN LATER LIFE.

Reactions: tina_marie

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
HAVING HAD SHINGLES AND THEN SIX MONTHS LATER GIVEN THE SHINGLES VACCINE BY MY GP WHO SAID IT WAS ADVISABLE TO HAVE IT GIVEN I HAD SHINGLES SIX MONTHS EARLIER, SO I HAD THE VACCINE AND HEY PRESTO I DEVELOP TYPE 1 DIABETES AT THE AGE OF 72 YEARS, HEALTHY ALL MY LIFE, WITH NO HEALTH ISSUES.
I WENT BACK TO THE SAID GP WHO SAID HE DIDNT KNOW IF THERE WAS A LINK AS HE DIDNT KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT DIABETES GO TO THE DIABETES NURSE. IN SEEING YET ANOTHER DOCTOR LAST WEEK HE ASKED ME WHY WAS I GIVEN THE SHINGLES VACCINE SO SOON AFTER HAVING THE VIRUS? AS YOU SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN GIVEN IT AS I STILL HAD ANTI-BODIES OF THE VIRUS STILL IN MY SYSTEM.
WHEN I ASKED COULD THIS HAVE BEEN THE ACTUAL CAUSE FOR MY CONDITION NOW, WELL, HE SAID IT COULD HAVE WIPED OUT YOUR REMAINING AUTO IMMUNE SYSTEM CELLS. BUT WE DON'T KNOW THIS FOR SURE, GIVEN MY HISTORY OF HEALTH AND MY AGE THEN I HAVE TO GO WITH HAVING THE VACCINE SOON AFTER THE VIRUS I DONT CARE WHAT THEY SAY, THIS IS THE CAUSE OF MY DIABETES.
I WOULD SAY TO ANYONE OUT THERE, THINK VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE HAVING VACCINES IN LATER LIFE.
That is food for thought. People keep telling me to get the flu vaccination, but I have always been a bit hesitant to do so.

D

Deleted Account

The way I read this is the extra "dose" of shingles whilst you still had some shingles virus left in your system MAY have energised your auto-immune system.
I see no research to corroborate this.
It is not known what causes type 1 diabetes: I got it in my mid-thirties with no history of any type of diabetes in my family.
Although it is frustrating, my attitude has been very much a case of "I have it now, let's minimise the impact it can have on my life present and future rather than dwelling on the past."

As far as flu-jabs go, this is an interesting one as they have to change every year to protect against different strains of the flu virus. I take it every year: the one occasion I had full blown flu was so horrible, I would hate to have it again. That time was before I had diabetes and I know being ill a little amount impacts my BG.
The one time I had a reaction against my jabs was when I had a pneumonia jab at the same time. Talking to others who refuse to have their flu jabs after one terrible reaction seems to always coincide with the pneumonia jab.
My sample is too small to be statistically significantly. However, it is enough of a coincidence for me to continue with my annual flu jabs.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
That is food for thought. People keep telling me to get the flu vaccination, but I have always been a bit hesitant to do so.
Don't I was told now I am diabetic my immune system is lower than normal, so I had it my first flu jab not only was I ill for three weeks I was in bed for three days and had two lots of anti-biotics with x-rays also. When I mentioned to the doctor that it must be the flu jab the doctor said probably it was the flu jab. So I would not even think about having it or even having another vaccination as long as I live. The fact is being a diabetic means I am probably more healthy than the every day person given my diet and lifestyle its rubbish to suggest that my immune system is lower than a person who does not have diabetes its how you manage it.