HELP! Insulin Pump Malfunction

Bobbietb

Hello,
Been using a Medtronic 640g for three days. Was going swimmingly but had a bit of a malfunction (think human error) but now can't reattach!! I've resorted to an injection of my old bolus and basal, just used my old amount as only been in the pump for three days.
Was this the right thing to do? How often should I check my glucose level? HELP!!!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya, can you explain more about what type of malfunction ? Medtronic have a 24 hour helpline you can call too.

Bobbietb

Heya, can you explain more about what type of malfunction ? Medtronic have a 24 hour helpline you can call too.
Well I think it was more human error. I don't think I reconnected the line properly. I then tried to administer more insulin through the pump but decided it best to just change the reservoir and line. The issue came when using the quick-serter. I don't know if it's broke but it didn't insert the line. Tried again with a different line but still didn't insert, so it's not actually the pump I suppose!

Just want reassurance that what I've done with manual injections is correct.

Thanks,
Bobs

Bobbietb

Just realised what I've done! I didn't take the blue protector off from around the needle!!!
Oh well, you live and learn. I'm seeing the nurse at 10am tomorrow so she'll be able to guide me through reconnecting the pump.

In the meantime, is a shot of basal and blous with my injection pens enough to keep me going?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Bob's yes switching to MDI is advisable if you cannot reconnect the pump, there are other cannula types you can try if your not happy with this one though, finding one that suits you is very important, I would set an alarm for around 2am to check your bg levels too just to check.

Reactions: azure and Bobbietb

Bobbietb

Hi Bob's yes switching to MDI is advisable if you cannot reconnect the pump, there are other cannula types you can try if your not happy with this one though, finding one that suits you is very important, I would set an alarm for around 2am to check your bg levels too just to check your.
Thanks for the advice Juicyj.
Feel like such an idiot but you learn from your mistakes. I'll probably wake up every hour in a panic lol.
Thanks,
Bobs

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hey no worries it's early days, I made a few errors with the cannula insertions too when I first got mine, not inserting correcting then going sky rocket and spending a day getting back down into single figures, these days I could do it blind folded, takes some practice though, good luck let us know how you get on ?

Bobbietb

Hey no worries it's early days, I made a few errors with the cannula insertions too when I first got mine, not inserting correcting then going sky rocket and spending a day getting back down into single figures, these days I could do it blind folded, takes some practice though, good luck let us know how you get on ?
It's good to know that most people make mistakes with it. BG hasn't been too bad, stabilised at 11 and I woke up and it was still 11. Back on the pump later today

Reactions: Juicyj

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not very knowledgeable on pumps, but don't forget to account for any manually injected basal that still might be in your system still