A head like a hangover in the morning

Kenhue3501

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bloods all ok around the 5.5 to 7.9 range during the day and before I go to bed, but when I wake up in the morning like I have been on the beer, cramps and head on me, clears after an hour or so. Anybody got any views thanks again for all the help you keep giving me.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could be a hypo hangover have you tested during the night?

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Since I've gained control,and lowered levels I've had the same in the morning,in fact I felt better when I did have a beer.I do believe I go low in the night too.Also get a slightly blurry eye for a couple of hours.
Levels are in non diabetic ranges for all scenarios and feel worse.I need chocolate cake or a jam doughnut, NO.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was like that, waking up feeling awful and having palpitations in bed. I thought it was my age until I read something on here and did test one night to find I was 3.5 and felt booming dreadful. I discussed it with my diabetic nurse and she advised a lat evening or even bedtime snack and dropping one gliclazide if I was achieving good control. Test yourself to see, but either way I'd say discuss it with your GP or nurse.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Alcohol hangovers are normally the result of dehydration. It is very easy to become dehydrated over night, and best to have water before bed, a glass of water besides your bed, and a good drink when you wake up. Your hangover feeling may well be dehydration, or maybe low blood sugars. Or maybe something else!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
carbs bind water in our body, when we do low carb we need to drink a little more as there is not as much water stored in our cells anylonger along with carbs..
another possible reason to headace could be that we do maybe eat less pottassium when changing to low carb ... many of the foods we avoid are high pottassium foods like potatoes and fruits .. but before taking pottassium as a suplement we do need ours GPs advice on that as there is only very little space from healthy levels to poisonous levels

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects

many also change to an eating style where we eat less pre-fabricated foods, pre-fabricated foods are very rich and often too rich i salt/sodium-chloride and when we change we can end up with a lack of salt.. and then we dehydrate as salt keeps the water in our body... thats the reason why salt in ancient time was such an important buisness , humans need salt in contrary to other species

Last edited:

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been feeling the same in the morning. My bg are ok, but the headaches in the morning are annoying and I have to admit I feel a little grumpy too.
I've been taking an aspirin and with a coffee it clears on my way into the office