Eat Well For Less (BBC1)

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Disappointed in this show tonight. The parents of the child claimed they were low carbing their Son, almost every scene (I think every scene) where the child ate was carb dominant.
I'm not sure that's strictly true, they carefully measured the carbs of every meal and ensured his snacks were low-carb or carb-free (chicken, meats, cheeses etc.). He's an active and growing (5?) year old boy; he needs some carbs....

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Check it out! :)
The mum's well intentioned idea of "low cab snacking" was interesting... I've done a couple of experiments with the "Fridge raider" brand myself...
Are Fridge Raiders that bad? I've always thought of them as a pretty good carb free snack for when you have the munchies and don't want to bolus.

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
I gave up watching and went and did something useful instead. The diet was very much as per the "Eatwell Plate" and Diabetes UK recommendations. They may perhaps be ok for a T1 who can balance carb intake with insulin, but I know that if I ate many of the carby foods being shown my BG would most certainly spike. I had four chips with dinner tonight and they didn't do my BG any favours!! I am tempted to give whole wheat noodles a try, if I can find any, as it seems they have a low GI and I might get away with a small quantity.

@miahara have you tried Oomi noodles , they are low carb

Reactions: miahara

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@Art Of Flowers . You are entitled to your opinion but as a type 1 diabetic of 27 yrs with no health issues other than being type 1 diabetic I can categorically state that carbohydrates are an essential part of my diet ( 150/180 g daily).
I have tried many diets, including the legendary LCHF, and as much as it may be a godsend especially for type 2 control , it definitely is not an option for me as an active energy burning type 1 diabetic.

That isnt near the recommended 230g a day though.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I'm not sure that's strictly true, they carefully measured the carbs of every meal and ensured his snacks were low-carb or carb-free (chicken, meats, cheeses etc.). He's an active and growing (5?) year old boy; he needs some carbs....
I did see the measurements but this did not translate into the meals on display. What a child though, he is well adapted and full of happiness.
I am happy to stick with my assessment for the following reasons: The Mother of Harry the 8 year old stated "..we just try to keep things as low carb as possible”. For me this is contradicted by the meals given to Harry:

1. Fruit shoot, crisps, brown wrap sandwich, 9'ish mini chocolate biscuits
2. Corn flake encrusted southern style chicken, chips, beans, coke, ketchup
3. Wholemeal toast with Jam, Oatcakes with Jam (as recommended by Diabetes UK)

The above cannot be classified as low carb, this is what I would call "normal" general public eating methodology. Low carb would require less insulin to cover and I would say would not produce a blood sugar readings of 9.6 (even after a meal).
Technically carbohydrates are not essential like fats and protein, as we can make glucose ourselves via the liver, and there are plenty in vegetable servings; Hala neglected to mention that "we" can function perfectly well off of Ketones.

Reactions: Bobbin and Mark_1

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I did see the measurements but this did not translate into the meals on display. What a child though, he is well adapted and full of happiness.
I am happy to stick with my assessment for the following reasons: The Mother of Harry the 8 year old stated "..we just try to keep things as low carb as possible”. For me this is contradicted by the meals given to Harry:

1. Fruit shoot, crisps, brown wrap sandwich, 9'ish mini chocolate biscuits
2. Corn flake encrusted southern style chicken, chips, beans, coke, ketchup
3. Wholemeal toast with Jam, Oatcakes with Jam (as recommended by Diabetes UK)

The above cannot be classified as low carb, this is what I would call "normal" general public eating methodology. Low carb would require less insulin to cover and I would say would not produce a blood sugar readings of 9.6 (even after a meal).
Technically carbohydrates are not essential like fats and protein, as we can make glucose ourselves via the liver, and there are plenty in vegetable servings; Hala neglected to mention that "we" can function perfectly well off of Ketones.

"we" can function perfectly well doesn't equate to "well adapted and full of happiness."
There is a lot more to life than eating to function, I eat a balanced diet including carbs because I want to enjoy myself, not "function".
Not everyone is a low carb type 2.

Reactions: Kim Possible

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
"we" can function perfectly well doesn't equate to "well adapted and full of happiness."
There is a lot more to life than eating to function, I eat a balanced diet including carbs because I want to enjoy myself, not "function".
I notice that you 'reversed your type 2' Douglas. How did you do it?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @douglas99 I have explained to you before that I do not enjoy carbs, they almost left my family without a father and a husband. This means my built in defence mechanism make me look elsewhere, especially as the science is clear.

I can assure you the food I eat is varied and more than functional. My wife has a diabetes, weight and management program as a HCP with around 30 recipes. She has had so much success with patients that we have had to launch with manual systems.

More over the points I made were and are accurate and there was no criticism of carbs.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @douglas99 I have explained to you before that I do not enjoy carbs, they almost left my family without a father and a husband. This means my built in defence mechanism make me look elsewhere, especially as the science is clear.

I can assure you the food I eat is varied and more than functional. My wife has a diabetes, weight and management program as a HCP with around 30 recipes. She has had so much success with patients that we have had to launch with manual systems.

More over the points I made were and are accurate and there was no criticism of carbs.

I explained to you not everyone is a low carb type 2.
Which is accurate, as are all the points in my post.
This is also a type 1 thread, maybe low carb type 2 is not particularly relevant?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I explained to you not everyone is a low carb type 2.
Which is accurate, as are all the points in my post.
This is also a type 1 thread, maybe low carb type 2 is not particularly relevant?
Points 1 to 3 are accurate find another game.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mbaker and all, please allow this topic to get back on track. It's not a discussion about low carb for type 2, and is hosted in the type 1 forum.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They were getting advice from diabetesUK which seems to recommend type 1 diabetics eat lots of carbs. They were also saying that carbs are an essential of your diet, which is not true.
Children are different to adults in their dietary needs especially when they are T1 so we are not in a postion to say the programme were wrong in the advice they gave

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Mbaker and all, please allow this topic to get back on track. It's not a discussion about low carb for type 2, and is hosted in the type 1 forum.
Should also have named the "others" to be even handed, my comments were in context to the thread, not objectionable (re-read) and were trolled.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Children are different to adults in their dietary needs especially when they are T1 so we are not in a postion to say the programme were wrong in the advice they gave
In this case the stress of constant carb counting and sugar monitoring for her son, who has an insulin pump, meant that the mother had to cut back on the hours she was working. The reduced income meant that they needed to cut back on their grocery bill, hence needing to "eat well for less". The son was sometimes getting blood sugar levels of over 20 during the night and I expect these were the result of eating too many high carb snacks.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In this case the stress of constant carb counting and sugar monitoring for her son, who has an insulin pump, meant that the mother had to cut back on the hours she was working. The reduced income meant that they needed to cut back on their grocery bill, hence needing to "eat well for less". The son was sometimes getting blood sugar levels of over 20 during the night and I expect these were the result of eating too many high carb snacks.

Or not using the pump optimally - which is far more likely.

I'm not a child but I eat carby snacks and have a pump and my sugars aren't anything like 20.

Type 1 is a very different condition from Type 2.

Moreover, carb counting isn't optional. Whatever level of carbs you eat, you need to count and calculate.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do watch the programmes but missed it last night but I will watch it and get my opinion of it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are Fridge Raiders that bad? I've always thought of them as a pretty good carb free snack for when you have the munchies and don't want to bolus.

Hi, I'm not knocking the "principle". They affect me without bolusing as a snack on my mid morning work break without bolusing...
So I understand/empathise "Harry's mum with her logic? (Which came across as "moderate carbs" for a growing/sporty lad at meal times. LC snacking because of his "hunger"..)
& it looked like the Harry had the choice of a 60g pack.? (From the "shopping list" on the program I saw.)
But for me? The pictured below destabilises without bolusing a perfect mornings BG just before a work lunch break at 1pm..
Trust me. I graft. (Lol, maybe my basal line is just too good!?)

So? If an 8? Year old lad was snacking throughout the day without the bolus.....?

It could catch up on the BG levels.......
Just to add I am on MDI...

Another addition; Harry's snack option were "party sausages" too? Which may have hidden bulk up carbs not accounted for....?

image.jpeg

At the end of the day... This was just a program format focused on cutting an "average" family's food budget..

Last edited:

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm surprised no one on here picked up on the whole wheat pasta recommended by the expert, but it was the shop value brand white pasta in the shopping bags that they'd been feeding them.
The school lunch with the fruit drink and crisps.... My kids aren't diabetic and they always went school with a healthier lunch than that.