ideas for mid morning meal

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have scrambled eggs for breakfast which would keep me full till lunch time but I leave for work at 10.30 am and don't get home till 2pm. I need to eat something at 10am to keep me going through work and the journey home. I have been eating berries, yoghurt and cream (my Hba1c last week was 39 so that is fine carb wise) but my cholesterol is going up and I am wondering if I should eat less cream. In 6 months it has gone from 6.3 to 6.8. Because I know total levels aren't to be relied on here is the breakdown:

triglycerides 1.34
HDL 1.7
ratio 4.0
LDL 4.5

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could eat as I am stuck on berries, cream and yoghurt as it is convenient and quick.

Many thanks!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a small apple especially at work!

Or half a big apple.

A slice of fresh meat!

Handful of nuts!

Have a look around the low carb forum!

Reactions: aqualung

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I tend to skip lunch and eat my evening meal at around 6:00, what about some hard boiled eggs or pork scratchings, a piece of chicken or some cheese.

Hope this helps, I am sure others will come along with their ideas or thoughts soon.

Regards x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I often don't have lunch till 2pm.

Can you have your breakfast a bit later, and maybe an extra egg?

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your replies and ideas. I work in a school kitchen so can't eat at work which is why I eat before I go. I will try an extra egg and see if that is enough and look for ideas for other meals.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
If you need to eat something .. surely anything like some ham, cheese, chicken, eggs etc etc will "fill the gap".

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you need to eat something .. surely anything like some ham, cheese, chicken, eggs etc etc will "fill the gap".

it's quite a big gap (4 hours) and if I don't eat enough at 10am I will be too hungry by 2 pm and will end up eating whatever I find first and probably not low carb

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it's quite a big gap (4 hours)

Possibly not quite the right mindset though.. are you really hungry or just habitually eating because you think you might get hungry? Add some butter and cream to the eggs (along with maybe another couple of eggs) that should keep you full until dinner time (evening meal). Once you have got off the carb fuelled roller coaster of elevated blood sugar levels you should be able to "not eat" i.e. fast for longer and longer periods..

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd be inclined to swap things round a bit. Have a coffee with lashings of cream for breakfast and some form of eggs and ham or bacon around 10am - scrambled eggs on ham, ham omelette (with cheese), poached egg on ham, egg and bacon.

Otherwise have a snack like cheese on cucumber, or celery with cream cheese or grated cheese mixed with a bit of mayo. I've recently been making my own mackerel or tuna pate to have spread on celery for filling snacks.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly not quite the right mindset though.. are you really hungry or just habitually eating because you think you might get hungry? Add some butter and cream to the eggs (along with maybe another couple of eggs) that should keep you full until dinner time (evening meal). Once you have got off the carb fuelled roller coaster of elevated blood sugar levels you should be able to "not eat" i.e. fast for longer and longer periods..

you are right I'm not hungry but I know I will be before I leave work. I do already add cream and butter to my eggs but will try more and add extra eggs. Trial and error I think. I don't like being in the situation where I am hungry as I go fuzzy headed. At least I no longer eat cereal and toast before I go to work as I used to!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be inclined to swap things round a bit. Have a coffee with lashings of cream for breakfast and some form of eggs and ham or bacon around 10am - scrambled eggs on ham, ham omelette (with cheese), poached egg on ham, egg and bacon.

Otherwise have a snack like cheese on cucumber, or celery with cream cheese or grated cheese mixed with a bit of mayo. I've recently been making my own mackerel or tuna pate to have spread on celery for filling snacks.

Thank you for your reply. That sounds a good idea to swap things around. I will give it some thought and start on Monday!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
it's quite a big gap (4 hours) and if I don't eat enough at 10am I will be too hungry by 2 pm and will end up eating whatever I find first and probably not low carb

I don't call 4 hours a big gap at all. Your breakfast has barely digested in 4 hours, and probably hasn't finished digesting. Eating within that 4 hours is not giving your pancreas and gut a rest, which isn't too good for us. Gaps between my meals are longer than that. If you are frightened of being hungry, take some low carb snacks to eat on the way or way back from work. (a hard boiled egg?) If you are genuinely hungry the best bet is to eat more for your breakfast, eat it a little later, and this should last you till you get home. All you can do is try it and see.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you drinking enough, just wonder if you are possibly mistaking thirst for hunger, always have a bottle of water with me especially when working. Just a thought...

Reactions: Ultramum

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the OP's main concern would be being hungry while at work, My mum was a school chef, and it's very hard work, plus you are surrounded by all the things you no longer should eat, which is pretty hard going. You're not allowed to eat while working and really, it's all often so carby, you just shouldn't, but by the time you leave work you have been exposed to all those carbs, including endless desserts, that you brain is not functioning straight. Some of us go into self-destruct when hungry and just eat anything. It's no good trying to be good. Your brain just tells you to s*d it!

Good luck trying ways around this Aqualung. It's quite hard, but my gut feeling would be to go in feeling satiated, ad maybe have something in the car to nibble on while going home. That was always my worst time and I'd end up in a garage buying a cheese pastie.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Half and avocado is easy to scoop out of the shell. Baggy of mixed nuts.

Protein raises my bs and Insulin needs so I like to keep it only st two meals so I have fat snacks like avocado or nuts which won't raise insulin much and fat fuels me.