ideas for mid morning meal

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the OP's main concern would be being hungry while at work, My mum was a school chef, and it's very hard work, plus you are surrounded by all the things you no longer should eat, which is pretty hard going. You're not allowed to eat while working and really, it's all often so carby, you just shouldn't, but by the time you leave work you have been exposed to all those carbs, including endless desserts, that you brain is not functioning straight. Some of us go into self-destruct when hungry and just eat anything. It's no good trying to be good. Your brain just tells you to s*d it!

Good luck trying ways around this Aqualung. It's quite hard, but my gut feeling would be to go in feeling satiated, ad maybe have something in the car to nibble on while going home. That was always my worst time and I'd end up in a garage buying a cheese pastie.

Thanks for your reply I am allowed a school dinner when all the kids have been served but as you say it is all very carby. Every so often there will be veg left! I am going to be more organised and have something in the car just in case!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't call 4 hours a big gap at all. Your breakfast has barely digested in 4 hours, and probably hasn't finished digesting. Eating within that 4 hours is not giving your pancreas and gut a rest, which isn't too good for us. Gaps between my meals are longer than that. If you are frightened of being hungry, take some low carb snacks to eat on the way or way back from work. (a hard boiled egg?) If you are genuinely hungry the best bet is to eat more for your breakfast, eat it a little later, and this should last you till you get home. All you can do is try it and see.

I have my breakfast at 7 so if I don't eat till 2 that is a long gap! That is why I eat at 10 before I go. I am going to try eating more and taking a snack with me. Trial and error I think!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have my breakfast at 7 so if I don't eat till 2 that is a long gap! That is why I eat at 10 before I go. I am going to try eating more and taking a snack with me. Trial and error I think!

Yes, it's all trial and error. Good luck. :)

Reactions: aqualung

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Small bag of peanuts? I keep a tub with 25g of peanuts in my work bag.

I used to need to eat regularly but since going LCHF 4 months ago I now often don't bother with lunch - just have coffee with cream. That is after a two egg cheese omelette plus four button mushrooms at about 6:45am every morning. Evening meal is usually about 6-6:30 pm