Increased Medication

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Looking for help I recently attended my review and I have been unable to lower my blood sugar levels so my doctor has added an additional tablet I now take 4x 500mg metformin 1x 50mg sitagliptin I am really wanting to reverse this and get my blood sugars back to where they where. Looking for help with what snacks I can eat. Breakfast is alpo yoghurt 2.3g carbs and lizis low sugar granola 22.6g carbs both low sugar, tea is a homemade slimming world meal. Lunch is a struggle I tend to go to the local Morrison supermarket and have a sandwich. Any help greatly appreciated

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin does not reduce blood sugar by much. Going from 1000 to 2000 Metformin per day is likely to reduce your blood glucose by less than 0.5. Eating low carb will have a much greater effect.

Get a blood glucose meter to test before and two hours after meals. See https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb for some ideas what to eat. You need to reduce carbs, not just sugar. Avoid breakfast cereals. I have a one egg cheese omelette for breakfast. Avoid bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Fruit juice is high sugar, so don't drink that and avoid fruit such as bananas and grapes.

I often have salad with mayonnaise for lunch. Your swimming world meal may be low calorie, but may have too many carbs for a diabetic. Avoid sandwiches as they are very high carb.

For snacks I eat nuts and babybell cheese. Also avacodos.

Reactions: Mark_1 and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking for help I recently attended my review and I have been unable to lower my blood sugar levels so my doctor has added an additional tablet I now take 4x 500mg metformin 1x 50mg sitagliptin I am really wanting to reverse this and get my blood sugars back to where they where. Looking for help with what snacks I can eat. Breakfast is alpo yoghurt 2.3g carbs and lizis low sugar granola 22.6g carbs both low sugar, tea is a homemade slimming world meal. Lunch is a struggle I tend to go to the local Morrison supermarket and have a sandwich. Any help greatly appreciated
Avoid cereals bread pasta root vegetables etc.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin does not reduce blood sugar by much. Going from 1000 to 2000 Metformin per day is likely to reduce your blood glucose by less than 0.5. Eating low carb will have a much greater effect.

Get a blood glucose meter to test before and two hours after meals. See https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb for some ideas what to eat. You need to reduce carbs, not just sugar. Avoid breakfast cereals. I have a one egg cheese omelette for breakfast. Avoid bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Fruit juice is high sugar, so don't drink that and avoid fruit such as bananas and grapes.

I often have salad with mayonnaise for lunch. Your swimming world meal may be low calorie, but may have too many carbs for a diabetic. Avoid sandwiches as they are very high carb.

For snacks I eat nuts and babybell cheese. Also avacodos.
Brilliant

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cratat,

You appear to be listed as "insulin dependant" on your profile. Is this correct?
All good if it is. :)
However, there have been a few T2 status changes to ID (by some sort of "default.") since the forum "makeover".
This may affect the sort of advice you receive regarding future enquiries regarding diet if it happens to be not ID...

Happy to help.

J>

Reactions: ziggy_w

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Hi Cratat,

You appear to be listed as "insulin dependant" on your profile. Is this correct?
All good if it is. :)
However, there have been a few T2 status changes to ID (by some sort of "default.") since the forum "makeover".
This may affect the sort of advice you receive regarding future enquiries regarding diet if it happens to be not ID...

Happy to help.

J>
Hi Jaylee

No not insulin dependant will change it

Reactions: Jaylee

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best thing I did for my type 2 was to buy a meter and start testing before and after meals to see what effect my meals had on my blood sugar and then adjust what I was eating. I found that many foods I was told were good to eat as a diabetic such as low GI foods like porridge sent my BG high and it stayed high for ages.

By checking frequently I discovered what foods my body could 'tolerate' and which ones to avoid. Now I have a good idea of what to eat and what to avoid. If you are cooking SW meals then try to aim to do meals that fit in with the original (many years ago) red plan which was basically protein and veg.

Let us know how you get on

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A meter will be your best friend and will show you which foods your body reacts badly to. This is done by testing before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. The rise from before to after is the important bit.

I think you will find your breakfast is unsuitable - yogurt fine, cereals (granola) not so. Sandwiches? Bread is very difficult for the majority of us. Slimming World recipes? How many and what type of carbs in there? All carbs convert to sugar once inside the system, so it makes sense not to eat too many. On packaged food you need to look for the Total Carbohydrate amount, ignore the "of which sugars" because all the carb content will be sugar as soon as you eat it.

Diet is the key. Metformin does hardly anything. Sitagliptin is stronger and does help, but if you follow a low carb diet properly you may find you don't need it. (GP would need to be involved with any decision to stop taking it.)

Marknz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi all
i too am in same boat, my gp has increased metformin from 1000mg bd to 1000mgs tds...i follow low carb diet...copy of letter from gp below....any suggestions anyone?

Dear Mark,

Just a quick note to let you know that there has only been a slight improvement only with your Hba1c and Dr Kate has recommended that you continue to increase your metformin to 1000mg TDS please. I have enclosed a copy of the results for your records.

31 May 2017, Hba1C

Patient Details

Patient Name: , MARK

NHI No:

Date of Birth:

HbA1c (IFCC): 48 mmol/mol

(41-49) If used as a screening test, this result suggests

impaired glucose tolerance; CVD assessment and lifestyle changes

recommended with annual followup. If diabetic and treated with

insulin/sulphonylureas, control is good but the risk for

hypoglyceamia is increased.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi all
i too am in same boat, my gp has increased metformin from 1000mg bd to 1000mgs tds...i follow low carb diet...copy of letter from gp below....any suggestions anyone?

Dear Mark,

Just a quick note to let you know that there has only been a slight improvement only with your Hba1c and Dr Kate has recommended that you continue to increase your metformin to 1000mg TDS please. I have enclosed a copy of the results for your records.

31 May 2017, Hba1C

Patient Details

Patient Name: , MARK

NHI No:

Date of Birth:

HbA1c (IFCC): 48 mmol/mol

(41-49) If used as a screening test, this result suggests

impaired glucose tolerance; CVD assessment and lifestyle changes

recommended with annual followup. If diabetic and treated with

insulin/sulphonylureas, control is good but the risk for

hypoglyceamia is increased.
What was your previous result? How long ago was it?

What do your meter results show you when you low carb? How many carbs are you eating per day?

Sorry for all the questions but it helps to see what is happening