Sleep apnoea

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I have sleep apnoea, but I want to distinguish something. I have been told that I snore some times, so probably due to excess weight, there must be some obstruction in the airways during sleep. But it is something else that bothers me. For some strange reason, I stop breathing for some seconds. It is not that I struggle breathing (which I do some times) but it is that I completely stop breathing at all. What is the cause of this? Is it called something particular? How do I get treatment for that? I believe a CPAP machine can help open the airways so you can inhale more oxygen, which is good when you snore, but isn't the CPAP useless if yourself ceases breathing? Any hint?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Go and discuss it with your doctor. A sleep study can be done, and if you have apnoea, you can be treated with CPAP.

Seanmccleery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I have sleep apnoea, but I want to distinguish something. I have been told that I snore some times, so probably due to excess weight, there must be some obstruction in the airways during sleep. But it is something else that bothers me. For some strange reason, I stop breathing for some seconds. It is not that I struggle breathing (which I do some times) but it is that I completely stop breathing at all. What is the cause of this? Is it called something particular? How do I get treatment for that? I believe a CPAP machine can help open the airways so you can inhale more oxygen, which is good when you snore, but isn't the CPAP useless if yourself ceases breathing? Any hint?

I have had sleep apnoea for over ten years and before discovered fell asleep driving no one hurt, the increase in weight is a main factor, the CPAP machine constantly pressures the airway,thus the flappy thing in your throat is kept open no more waking up because you can't breathe and no more snoring. If you get your doctor to refer you to a sleep lab they will send you home with a oxymeter to record your blood oxygen (the thing just clamps on finger) they can see then how many times you stopped breathing can 15-20 times an hour but you don't know it. Hope this helps

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have contact dermatitis from the mask, is there a solution to that?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you can get some kind of mask/something for your nose but not sure.

But what if I open my mouth during sleep? The pressure will go through the opened mouth and it won't do its job?