Aged 16 and looking for people to talk to:)

New2T1D

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Things that are unfair.
Hello, I'm type one and 15 years old, I have had diabetes 5 years now, I'm in the same friend situation unfortunately, I was wondering if your son would mind talking to me? I know I'm a girl but I am looking for a friend too
What happened with your friends Beth?

beth2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Beth, He's a boy and he doesn't really do "talking," but I wish he did. I will ask him if he'll connect with you online. He's doing GCSEs and it's a bit stressful - diagnosed 6m ago, lost friendships of people he considered to be "good" friends. Also awaiting a Coeliac biopsy. V difficult time. I will encourage him to come online and talk to you Beth. I'm new to this forum and will try to add you as a favourite - or whatever. When GCSEs are done, I'll encourage him to join the forum. He is lovely. I would say that, as his mum, wouldn't I!?

Okay, I'm currently preparing for my GCSEs for next year and I can understand how stressful it would be, if he would talk to me that would be nice but if he doesn't feel comfortable that's also fine, I'm new to this forum thing so I don't really know how it works either. My friends aren't friends anymore they decide it is acceptable to leave me out of social gatherings just because of my diabetes and sometimes poke fun at it, teenagers aren't usually very accepting at the best of times anyway but I suppose having diabetes makes you more mature because you have more of a responsibility

New2T1D

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Things that are unfair.
Okay, I'm currently preparing for my GCSEs for next year and I can understand how stressful it would be, if he would talk to me that would be nice but if he doesn't feel comfortable that's also fine, I'm new to this forum thing so I don't really know how it works either. My friends aren't friends anymore they decide it is acceptable to leave me out of social gatherings just because of my diabetes and sometimes poke fun at it, teenagers aren't usually very accepting at the best of times anyway but I suppose having diabetes makes you more mature because you have more of a responsibility
I agree that it makes you mature and resilient. At my son's school, there is a school nurse who spoke to the form class last November, when he was diagnosed. She basically said she'd not tolerate any teasing or negative comments and if she heard of anything, the people concerned would have her to answer to. She's amazing.... But the close friends were subtle and under the radar. He heard them talking about him on Xbox and then was really upset that they'd been mean and then were nice the next day. There was also teasing. Then, although he was sad at first, he dropped the "friends" and stopped talking to them. I was so proud that he had the strength to do that, even when it hurt. I was really upset too, because I thought they were lovely boys. Some friends have been better. But this kind of things is very tough at your age, as you're fighting hormones and all kinds, as well as having to get to grips with the social side of life - all while managing blood sugars that won't seem to behave. Keep in touch Beth - if you're on Facebook, he might be happier connecting that way. xxx

New2T1D

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Things that are unfair.
I agree that it makes you mature and resilient. At my son's school, there is a school nurse who spoke to the form class last November, when he was diagnosed. She basically said she'd not tolerate any teasing or negative comments and if she heard of anything, the people concerned would have her to answer to. She's amazing.... But the close friends were subtle and under the radar. He heard them talking about him on Xbox and then was really upset that they'd been mean and then were nice the next day. There was also teasing. Then, although he was sad at first, he dropped the "friends" and stopped talking to them. I was so proud that he had the strength to do that, even when it hurt. I was really upset too, because I thought they were lovely boys. Some friends have been better. But this kind of things is very tough at your age, as you're fighting hormones and all kinds, as well as having to get to grips with the social side of life - all while managing blood sugars that won't seem to behave. Keep in touch Beth - if you're on Facebook, he might be happier connecting that way. xxx
And stay strong. You are coping with something big, which makes you amazing and inspirational. I feel very humbled by you all, who deal with what you do, day in, day out. It will give you skills others will never learn.

beth2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

That's lovley that the school has such a nice nurse. Children can be unnecessarily rude and nasty and think nothing of it and that's just how it is I guess. Unfortunately I don't have Facebook but I have snapchat and twitter if that's any help xx

jjielingg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!! I'm Michelle and I'm from Malaysia !! We are the same age!! Was diagnosed 5 years ago !! I'm looking for friends who can understand how I really feel and feel free to chat !! ☺️
I'm 16 and was diagnosed 6 years ago on Friday 13th...!
Just looking for someone(don't care about age) to chat to, I'm bored of sugar coating things and pretending things are ok, looking for someone who I can be honest with and relate too, I'm also here for anyone who needs someone, message me or reply if you wanna chat:)
ichelle

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
I'm 16 and was diagnosed 6 years ago on Friday 13th...!
Just looking for someone(don't care about age) to chat to, I'm bored of sugar coating things and pretending things are ok, looking for someone who I can be honest with and relate too, I'm also here for anyone who needs someone, message me or reply if you wanna chat:)
I'm 18 and been diabetic type 1 since 7yrs old. So feel free if you want to chat.

AashnaKB_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I am also a 16 year old T1D, diagnosed around 7 years ago, and I would love to get to know more diabetics our age so feel free to chat :)