Libre/CGM sensor - bumps, knocks & trauma

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone got experience with this?
Just hooked my Libre sensor on a door frame quite hard. It seems to still be attached, I've no definitive reason to believe the needle has been dislodged.. it's pulled a fair bit of the glue up on one side, so it's possible it got pulled up a bit from the skin. My skins quite loose luckily. I'll monitor the numbers carefully...
It feels a bit like when I inserted it first.. not painful, and mostly not noticeable, but I can feel *something* occasionally. The feeling doesn't change if I give it a wiggle, which seems like a good sign?

My main fear is I've read "in case of.." advice in the manual for the case where the needle detaches from the sensor. Not sure if this has ever actually happened or they're just covering themselves.

Soo.. any thoughts/experiences?
I will find out soon enough I suppose, this sensor expires tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't answer your question, it has never happened to me. I just catch mine sometimes on dressing/undressing. I wear mine either on the inside of my arm or the underside. I don't wear it on the top/outside, so it doesn't get banged.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't answer your question, it has never happened to me. I just catch mine sometimes on dressing/undressing. I wear mine either on the inside of my arm or the underside. I don't wear it on the top/outside, so it doesn't get banged.
Yes.. didn't really consider such things until after I put it on! (This is my first sensor)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @gavin86 - just keep checking your sensor if it reports anomalies consistently for at least a day then consider it finished. I wore one for 3 days and caught my arm on a door frame and knocked the thing off completely, nothing I could do sadly as it was my fault, however it did teach me to position them under my arm rather than the side and when I can I wear a large waterproof plaster, as long as the plaster is not sticky on the area that is protecting the sensor otherwise when you remove the plaster then you take the sensor off - hope it survived..

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I constantly ram my cgm into the door frame doesn't happen when I'm not wearing it on my arm, a bit of a bruise is all I end up with it always stays put and readings are grand

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I think the best indication of whether the filament is still inserted, is whether you have readings or not. So you should find that out very quickly.

Also, if the glue has peeled off your arm at all, you might want to consider sticking a plaster (as @Juicyj does) or a dressing over it (I use Opsite, but there are several brands, including Rocktape, I think).

Lots of us clip them on doorframes to start with. I haven't lost one that way, but have come close. I did lose one by scraping it off when I put a bag over my shoulder. Still can't work out how that happened! In the end I slowly moved successive sensors further and further around towards the back/inside of my arm, and now it doesn't seem to catch on anything.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a similar experience knocking mine on a door... seems the exact same thing happened to you as mine felt a bit funny but that feeling disappeared after a few hours. I just assumed that the filament was still in considering the numbers were still showing!! My worst experience was when I completely ripped my libre off after trying to put on an old t-shirt that was far too small!!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Losing a sensor to a doorjamb is a rite of passage for new users. You're not a true libran till you've lost one that way!