chilling to the bone

Nancytired

Hi, new to the forums.
I'm getting ready to have the test in the morning to see if I'm diabetic. I have most symptoms. I am wondering one thing though. For the last 2-3 months I've been chilling to the bone where it actually ACHES!!! Is this also a sign of diabetes?
Hope to hear from someone soon.
Thanks, Nancy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Hopefully someone will be along in a moment who can help.

I dont think being cold is a common symptom of D, but it is a common symptom of hypothyroid. Have you had your thyroid tested?

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Nancytired

Hi and welcome!

Hopefully someone will be along in a moment who can help.

I dont think being cold is a common symptom of D, but it is a common symptom of hypothyroid. Have you had your thyroid tested?

Yes, I've had the right lobe of my thyroid taken out because of two benign tumors and also one of my para-thyroids because it had a tumor also...easy surgery and great doc!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ditto re cold and hypothyroid. One of my symptoms of a high blood glucose is the shivers, though. Good to hear you're getting checked, @Nancytired , which I hope will rule out diabetes but if not you've come to the right place, where you'll find support in spades!

All the best for the morning.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was first prescribed Thyroxine I remember on about the third day I felt a lovely warmth in my hands and feet, as though they were bathed in warm water.

Nancytired

Thanks!!! I do need to have my thyroid levels checked again. I'm on a medicine, but have not been back to see if it's the right strength. I'm not a 'go to the doctor' kind of person but since i have so many problems I guess I need to start, ugh!!

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I get very cold from time to time, bone cold, and end up wrapping myself in a cosy throw my husband bought me - more so when im tired but sometimes randomly. My thyroid readings appear to be fine according to my nurse"just one of those things" but I could do without icy toes! Good luck on your results!

Reactions: spook_kate_

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Even though my thyroid levels are spot on at mo. Courtesy of endocrologist, I may add, I had cold legs and feet all afternoon. I went to bed and wrapped my bottom half in a fleece til I dropped off to sleep. I woke just right.
Mind u I'm losing weight and have croaky voice so I think something is lerking.

Nancytired

I get very cold from time to time, bone cold, and end up wrapping myself in a cosy throw my husband bought me - more so when im tired but sometimes randomly. My thyroid readings appear to be fine according to my nurse"just one of those things" but I could do without icy toes! Good luck on your results!
It just hits me all of a sudden and takes many hours t
Even though my thyroid levels are spot on at mo. Courtesy of endocrologist, I may add, I had cold legs and feet all afternoon. I went to bed and wrapped my bottom half in a fleece til I dropped off to sleep. I woke just right.
Mind u I'm losing weight and have croaky voice so I think something is lerking.

I know that feeling! I'm sorry you're having problems. You still may need to have your thyroid checked again for tumors and or goiters. I didn't know I had a problem with my thyroid until my levels kept going up. I don't remember, nor paid attention, to what is normal levels, but at least we got it taken care of with surgery, which was an outpatient thing and I really couldn't tell I that had had anything done. My surgeon was the best!!!

Nancytired

I do need to go back to see if my meds are adjusted to my needs.

I know that feeling! I'm sorry you're having problems. You still may need to have your thyroid checked again for tumors and or goiters. I didn't know I had a problem with my thyroid until my levels kept going up. I don't remember, nor paid attention, to what is normal levels, but at least we got it taken care of with surgery, which was an outpatient thing and I really couldn't tell I that had had anything done. My surgeon was the best!!!

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks!!! I do need to have my thyroid levels checked again. I'm on a medicine, but have not been back to see if it's the right strength. I'm not a 'go to the doctor' kind of person but since i have so many problems I guess I need to start, ugh!!
I would definitely advise getting better at this -
Ignoring small signs just about killed me! I'm still not as good at it as I probably ought to be...

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, a good check for hypothyroidism is to check your body temp. Normal is 37C, however, this does vary with the individual, particularly for women. If you get readings around 35 ish, then its probably fairly normal, but if you get readings regularly lower than this then its probably indicating hypothyroidism rather than just poor circulation or anything else. I speak as a seriously hypothyroid person, so much so that it almost gave me diabetes, adrenal failure, parathyroid shutdown etc., my temps were down to 32C indoors, standing next to an oven cooking a casserole, and its taken years to sort out. If you are still hypothyroid on thyroxine and an increased dose doesn't sort it out, whilst having fairly normal labs, then you will need to look further. But for now, check body temp. Good luck.

Nancytired

Since my nearest and dearest is on synthyroid and a sister is on desiccated, I have seen that regular monitoring for amount has to be adjusted from time to time depending on how they are reacting according to about quarterly tests. One size does not fit all, apparently.[/QUOT

I didn't realize that about body temps! I've checked it when I've had a chilling episode thinking I may have a fever and it runs between 97 to 98ish..always seems normal but???? I'll be more aware! Besides the chilling, I stay so very fatigued that I can hardly get around...
I do have peripheral neuropathy and spinal stenosis, so just who knows what else is wrong with me. My primary doc says he can't find anything else...

Nancytired

I've checked my temp while having a chilling spell wondering if I have a fever but it runs close to 98 most of the time. I also have peripheral neuropathy and spinal stenosis which doesn't help how I feel. I stay exhausted all the time, hair thinning, weight gain instead of weight loss, which makes things worse. I think those symptoms are from my thyroid, but can't figure out the chilling. I'm waiting to hear about my glucose test from yesterday. Doc was supposed to have already called me, ugh!

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've checked my temp while having a chilling spell wondering if I have a fever but it runs close to 98 most of the time. I also have peripheral neuropathy and spinal stenosis which doesn't help how I feel. I stay exhausted all the time, hair thinning, weight gain instead of weight loss, which makes things worse. I think those symptoms are from my thyroid, but can't figure out the chilling. I'm waiting to hear about my glucose test from yesterday. Doc was supposed to have already called me, ugh!
Sounds like something more than just a thyroid problem. The stenosis can cause areas to become completely numb, painful, and feel really cold to the touch. Adrenal fatigue might be playing a role in the thinning hair, weight gain etc, its can also impact on your BG levels, possibly because of the thyroid condition. Might take a while to sort out, in the mean time make sure that all your vitamin and mineral levels are good as these can have a major impact on your ability to process thyroid hormones, plus will also impact on blood sugar levels. So fingers crossed the doc is a good one.