Fasting is working it's magic

baryntn42

My fasting is back on track and I'm seeing better BS results. I miss breakfast every day now, having either water or a coffee and double cream. Days I don't work or start work for the late shift (2.30 to 10p.m.) I miss out lunch too. At work I eat between 5 and 6pm at home I fast til about 7pm. Non working days I fast until teatime, so fast from 24 to 26 hrs. Days that I start work at 7 or 8 am I have a snack for lunch, some Spanish or Italian meat with a boiled egg mashed with mayonnaise or half an avocado instead.
Exercise is back on track now, before my husband's council elections got in the way, but from today I've Zumba and aqua
Zumba booked.
Yesterday after work I went for a cycle and my BS was 6.4 and after tea and at bedtime 6.5. It was 10.1 this morning after a night of weird dreams. But it WILL go down after exercise and fasting until about 7.30pm

Well done!!

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn't anybody know that it is VERY dangerous to fast if diabetic.
That it not true. You need to be careful if you are on certain medications that you don't get hypos. However, for type 2 fasting can be very beneficial. There is a fasting video course on dietdoctor.com by Dr Jason Fung. Jason has a lot of experience with reversing type 2 diabetes using fasting. In about 90% of cases he can get people with type 2 down to non diabetic blood sugars and off all medication in about three months. Fasting helps remove fat around the liver and pancreas and helps beta cell regeneration by putting the body in a state of autophagy where it repairs itself.

See https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting for some info on fasting.

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Perhaps it would help if you share the context of your understanding of..."Why is it dangerous to fast if diabetic?"

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Fasting can be safe if precautions are taken to avoid insulin OD. If not on insulin, the only risk is likely feeling faint. (aside from death, but that only happens after a few months, especially if you're overweight).

And, at any time one can simply reach over and open the fridge.

Post edited by a moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: meandmaboy

Kenny369

My fasting is back on track and I'm seeing better BS results. I miss breakfast every day now, having either water or a coffee and double cream. Days I don't work or start work for the late shift (2.30 to 10p.m.) I miss out lunch too. At work I eat between 5 and 6pm at home I fast til about 7pm. Non working days I fast until teatime, so fast from 24 to 26 hrs. Days that I start work at 7 or 8 am I have a snack for lunch, some Spanish or Italian meat with a boiled egg mashed with mayonnaise or half an avocado instead.
Exercise is back on track now, before my husband's council elections got in the way, but from today I've Zumba and aqua
Zumba booked.
Yesterday after work I went for a cycle and my BS was 6.4 and after tea and at bedtime 6.5. It was 10.1 this morning after a night of weird dreams. But it WILL go down after exercise and fasting until about 7.30pm
Sticking to my lchf diet, along with long cycles too and from work. Yesterday I did 3 longer cycles of about 6 miles each, followed by a further 3 miles after work at 10pm. So at least 21 miles. After work at 10.15 and the 3 mile cycle I was 5.5
Awake at 5am, tested 6.7
Before my Lchf lunch with half a Lidl roll with butter I was 6.5 lately I've been up to the 9's
No breakfast, but lunch on the days I work and a small tub of meats, egg, cheeses etc.
Sticking to fasting until about 8pm on my days off work (Thur, Fri and Sat this week). Feeling great, better than great. The Glimepiride 1mg is staying on the bathroom shelf meantime.
No cycling today though as there is a lot of rain. So maybe not so good readings tomorrow morning.
Hi just signed up after reading of your experience of fasting. I am type 2 diabetic and have had high sugar levels for some time. Two to three weeks ago I came across a YouTube video about intermittent fasting, so I thought that I'd give it a try. Glad that I did, as my sugar levels have dropped even though,when fasting I take less metmorfin. I have just, well, half an hour ago, tested my blood and the result was 5.7 not bad as previously I was running anything from 12 to 18. Little exercise and eat what I want when not fasting, as an example last night (Sunday) I had a roast dinner followed by a large bowl of strawberries and raspberries (no cream) fresh from the garden.
Hope that this post is helpful
Kenny369

Kenny369

@bulkbiker Your advice please :)

Waking this morning and my BS was 11.1 after about 4 hrs sleep. No breakfast this morning (as usual) then off to the sports centre for a 1 hr exercise class, a mix of yoga exercises for the older person! But still lots of stretching and enough to raise my heart beat to 122 instead of around the mid 60's
A long cycle home, about 3/4 hr instead of 5 mins, collecting newly laid hen eggs for my tea tonight :)
My BS is STILL 11.1

What do I do???? I didn't plan on having anything to eat until after my zumba class tonight at 7pm

Kenny369

@bulkbiker Your advice please :)

Waking this morning and my BS was 11.1 after about 4 hrs sleep. No breakfast this morning (as usual) then off to the sports centre for a 1 hr exercise class, a mix of yoga exercises for the older person! But still lots of stretching and enough to raise my heart beat to 122 instead of around the mid 60's
A long cycle home, about 3/4 hr instead of 5 mins, collecting newly laid hen eggs for my tea tonight :)
My BS is STILL 11.1

What do I do???? I didn't plan on having anything to eat until after my zumba class tonight at 7pm
Agree with Chook. Get more sleep. Well known that when you sleep your body repairs itself. Not the whole answer but, I believe, beneficial.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting along with LCHF DOES work! I saw my GP yesterday after the diabetic nurse told me that my blood sugar levels were now that of a non-diabetic, so I am now metformin free!!! :) when diagnosed 4 years ago they were 97 and now they are 38! this is down to a combination on 5:2 and LCHF lifestyle, I say lifestyle and not diet because that is what is now is, to say I am happy is an understatement, I have also lots over 2 stone in weight now with a bit more to go but I'm confident that will come off over time too xxxxx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting along with LCHF DOES work! I saw my GP yesterday after the diabetic nurse told me that my blood sugar levels were now that of a non-diabetic, so I am now metformin free!!! :) when diagnosed 4 years ago they were 97 and now they are 38! this is down to a combination on 5:2 and LCHF lifestyle, I say lifestyle and not diet because that is what is now is, to say I am happy is an understatement, I have also lots over 2 stone in weight now with a bit more to go but I'm confident that will come off over time too xxxxx
Great news very well done indeed..

CaliforniaGal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That it not true. You need to be careful if you are on certain medications that you don't get hypos. However, for type 2 fasting can be very beneficial. There is a fasting video course on dietdoctor.com by Dr Jason Fung. Jason has a lot of experience with reversing type 2 diabetes using fasting. In about 90% of cases he can get people with type 2 down to non diabetic blood sugars and off all medication in about three months. Fasting helps remove fat around the liver and pancreas and helps beta cell regeneration by putting the body in a state of autophagy where it repairs itself.

See https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting for some info on fasting.
Great news very well done indeed..

Great post. Thanks. Does anybody want to get their numbers back down in the normal range once & for all?
Dr. Fung: Intermittent fasting (IF).

Reactions: Speedbird
P

pollensa

I AM USING THE INTERMITTANT FASTING, NOT EATING BREAKFAST 3 MORNINGS A WEEK, I.E. FAST OF 18 HOURS EACH TIME, PLUS NOT EATING BREAKFAST, LUNCH 1 DAY A WEEK, I.E.24 HOUR FAST. MY LEVELS ARE NORMAL, CONTROLLED AND CONSISTENTLY BELOW CUT OFF LEVELS

JENNY

Reactions: Alison Campbell
P

pollensa

I THINK COMMON SENSE COMES INTO THE EQUASION HERE. IF ONE IS ON MEDICATION AND OTHER, FIRST CHECK WITH YOUR DOC, IF ONE IS NOT ON ANY MEDICATION WHATSOEVER, THEIR LEVELS ARE CONSISTENTLY NORMAL BELOW CUT OFFS, WHICH BY THE WAY, CUT OFF LEVELS ARE ONLY ARBITRARY CHOSEN NUMBERS! FASTING IF ONE IS FEELING HEALTHY, NO PROBLEMS OR OTHER, WHY NOT FAST IS THE QUESTION AND ESPECIALLY, AS THIS NOT ONLY SEEMS TO STABALIZE LEVELS, BUT ALSO ASSISTS AND HELPS LOOSE WEIGHT EASILY AND NATURALLY. ONE DOES NOT FEEL HUNGRY, IF ONE KNOWS HOW TO
DO INTERMITTANT FASTING CORRECTLY.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I never have breakfast now, well apart from when I stayed with a friend recently and she bought me an avocado for breakfast, along with a freshly laid hens egg from her 'girls'. But a breakfast once in a while won't hurt. I'm not eating lunch when I'm home either. In Glasgow at our son's wedding we ate out most days. One day I found a tearoom that knew all about the LCHF diet, that was a first for me! Even eating out with the family didn't do me too much harm as we walked for miles each day. I tried to eat LCHF when ever I could, avoiding puddings (apart from the wedding breakfast then I had a wonderful rhubarb crumble, ice cream and some delicious loganberry (at least I think that is what it was!) jam from Norway, made by bride's mum, so I couldn't refuse! But now back on home soil I'm on a strict LCHF diet again. Sadly I have had to give up on the cream in my coffee as I'm allergic to it and it makes me feel ill, so not worth it. Though funnily enough I can eat cheese, just not cream or fresh milk. I'm going to try a dash of vanilla in my coffee and see if I like it.
I'm going to make a fat bomb to take to work with me for my lunch if needed. I'm back on Wednesday :(:bigtears::depressed::grumpy: 7am to 2.35pm, so will try to continue the fasting, but will have a fat bomb if I really need it. I will try hard I can continue the IF until Sunday night. Then will see if I can continue the IF when I'm on a 2.35 to 10pm shift eating at either 5pm or 5.30pm, depending upon which tea break I have.
Reading back the messages here gives me the support I need, especially reading @bulkbiker blog. Love the new photo by the way, you look great!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading back the messages here gives me the support I need, especially reading @bulkbiker blog. Love the new photo by the way, you look great!
Wow thanks for that.. sounds like you have lactose intolerance if the cream and milk are upsetting you have you tried the Arla lactofree stuff? Might help . Cheese is very low in lactose so that's probably why you are ok with that..

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Wow thanks for that.. sounds like you have lactose intolerance if the cream and milk are upsetting you have you tried the Arla lactofree stuff? Might help . Cheese is very low in lactose so that's probably why you are ok with that..

lactose intolerance, that's it - couldn't remember what it was called! Have tried it in the past, but will go back to it I think, though I love coffee and cream, but not enough to feel ill after it. Trip to the local grocery shop I think.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: berylc