Lotatoes - new low carb potatoes in New Zealand

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And there was me thinking someone can't type, or even be bothered to correct their oh so obvious typo! :angelic::hilarious:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder what they taste like...?
(genuine question)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Genetically modified I guess. Mind you all seeds have evolved somehow!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

In the graphic in the first link: Step 1 - No genetic modification :)

They are just selectively bred like other potatoes. And dogs.

D

Deleted member 308541

I wonder what they taste like...?
(genuine question)
The Spud Lite low carb potatoes we get here in Australia, taste no different than normal spuds.

It says on our Spud Lite bags "Do Not Replant" so they are GM for sure, but they let me eat spuds so I do not care one way or the other.

It's going to get to the stage all food is going to be GM in the not distant future,

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Seen something similar in Australia - wondered if anyone had tried them - um - good to know they store well too @Tipetoo !! Will have to give them a go - miss spuds.........

D

Deleted member 308541

Will have to give them a go - miss spuds.........
Woolies sell Spud Lites, Coles have another brand name I believe.

I kept a bag of them in the crisper in the fridge as a test to see what happened, they still were ok cooked.

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Woolies sell Spud Lites, Coles have another brand name I believe.

I kept a bag of them in the crisper in the fridge as a test to see what happened, they still were ok cooked.
Thanks - I've seen the Coles ones - that's where I buy my Helgas's Lower Carb bread. Will see how they are.....

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The Spud Lite low carb potatoes we get here in Australia, taste no different than normal spuds.

It says on our Spud Lite bags "Do Not Replant" so they are GM for sure, but they let me eat spuds so I do not care one way or the other.

It's going to get to the stage all food is going to be GM in the not distant future,
Do not replant probably means thst they are a commercial variety with a patent so you have to buy your seed potatoes from the patent owner. This is how they get the money back from the research.

I would be more concerned about them not turning green. This could mean that they have been treated in some way to be completely dead. Fresh vegetables are usually still alive and you can normally plant potatoes and grow more. They start to sprout if left too long.

Irradiated?

Potentially treated so you can't plant them and grow your own?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Not handy for many of us, but might be interesting for some.

http://fennecandfriends.com/new-potato-has-40-percent-less-carbs/

9.8g carb per 100g

So about the same as a Lidl roll?

Tempting, but I can stop after one Lidl roll because I am full.
I'm not sure having just one potato or at least 100g would be as satisfying.

Edit: 40% less carbs and 9.8g per 100g gives around 17g per 100g as the starting point. That doesn't sound TOO bad compared to bread and stuff. New or old potatoes though? Whatever, slippery slope to ruin.

Last edited:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm planning to eat them, well - one! OK - half a one? in my next winter roast once I find a bin of lotatoes next at a supermarket. Will report back the moment they cross my lips, and two hours later do a BG reading. Cheers, from Aloe in Kiwiland.

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold
D

Deleted member 308541

Thanks - I've seen the Coles ones - that's where I buy my Helgas's Lower Carb bread. Will see how they are.....
I am taking a couple of Spud Lites up to the Chef at the bowls club, he's going to put them in a broccoli box full of some our local volcanic soil and see if they grow.

I tried to get some of that Helga's bread at Woolies but they only had Helga's LC wraps, I ended up getting Mission Chia wraps that were a bit lower in carbs than Helga's and more in the pack. :D