Never found my mojo for diabetes

FionaG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I am positive and motivated except when it comes to controlling my diabetes ( type 1, diagnosed when I was 36- now 51- that sounds so old!). I would love to hear how others do it! Like most people I hate hypos ( I keep being told good control doesn't mean hypos...) and I don't want to put on weight (that sounds vain). Anyway this is me trying to motivate myself to accept that I do have diabetes and need to take control!!
Fiona

Reactions: amylivinglife

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @FionaG :)

You're not alone - Type 1 is hard and the daily grind of it can be disheartening. You'll find a number of threads in the Type 1 sectiin where people discuss their struggles for control and coping with diabetes :)

For me, it's a fight and every good sugar is a victory over the diabetes beast. Take one day at a time and keep going :)

If you're looking for a book, Think Like A Pancreas is reassuring and friendly as well as informative about control.

If you're having particular problems, Type 1s here can make suggestions that might help.

Reactions: himtoo

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I am positive and motivated except when it comes to controlling my diabetes ( type 1, diagnosed when I was 36- now 51- that sounds so old!). I would love to hear how others do it! Like most people I hate hypos ( I keep being told good control doesn't mean hypos...) and I don't want to put on weight (that sounds vain). Anyway this is me trying to motivate myself to accept that I do have diabetes and need to take control!!
Fiona

A few months after dx at 21 I read an article in Balance by a 25 year old who'd been T1 for about 5 years, hadn't paid any attention, and so had developed some serious retinopathy. She said her doctor told her if she carried on like that, she would be blind soon. That article seriously motivated me to pay attention. I remember saying to myself that's not going to happen to me, I am not going to go blind. So I've spent a lot of time looking after my sugars, but have still had a good life, few beers at the weekend, backpacking in Asia, and am able to say almost thirty years later that my eyes are fine, and that keeps me motivated.

Sure, there are never any guarantees with complications, but I know that provided I pay a bit of attention to it, I improve my chances massively. That motivates me.

After I learned the basic rules of how much insulin for how much food, I never really bothered looking into T1 too much, wasn't that fussed about research, the minutiae, as I didn't want it to take over my life. Like a lot of people say, it has to live with me, not me with it. But about ten months ago, I decided to fork out for a freestyle libre. I'm really glad I did. Sure, £100 per month, but seeing as that works out per day at the cost of a return bus ticket, I'm happy to pay that for the peace of mind it gives me. Dropping to the point I might go hypo? Downwards arrow shows me so I can nip it in the bud with 5 gm before it even happens. How hard is foot on floor kicking in this morning? Can see it on the graph and pin it with 2u before it starts. Etc. etc. It's like being able to tailor what I do in life to make T1 so much more manageable, can see things developing and stop them before they happen. It's been hugely motivational, like I'm now co-operating with my T1, not fighting it. It levels the playing field.

PS: lol at 51 sounding old! I'm turning 50 next week, so this weekend will be the last weekend I ever spend in my forties! Am going to have to hit the pub, fit in a few tequilas and pretend I'm in my twenties again!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @FionaG. Welcome to the forum. I was dx at 27 yrs old now 53 yrs old.
The one thing I've never done is go to war with my diabetes. From day one I've embraced it, it's my driving force, it's my inspiration and it's the reason I'm the person I am today
I'm one of those that doesn't have diabetes, it has me. It's my life and we do things my way. Okay it's not always so easy and my diabetes has it's days in the sun, when it catches me out or gets me unawares. Thing is even on these days, I smile, I say I'm diabetic and the darkness today will make the sunshine tomorrow all the brighter.
Diabetes has made me a stronger, better, healthier more understanding individual.
Diabetes thrives on negativity, it lives in dark places and ultimately wants to destroy us.
Diabetes is weak and wields little power if you are positive, happy, focused and prepared to put time and effort into getting the medication and diet right.
Hypos are a real sh*t, even after 26 yrs ( although I manage better nowadays). But the way I see it is if a condition that only requires 6 jelly babies to resolve it **** well ain't going to mess with my life. Cocky I know and I'm definitely not so cocky when I'm hypo but I I'm not hypo at the moment.:):)
We all do diabetes differently. Try to embrace it and make it a friend and let it know you're boss.
Hope you find your mojo.

Mugwump

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Pump
I just wanted to reassure you that you are most definitely not alone in feeling like this. I work with a 7 year old who has had Type 1 since the age of 2, and although I know she has moments where she wishes she didn't have diabetes daily, I'm amazed at how much she knows about food for a 7 year old. Because she has to think about what she is eating much more than her peers, she thinks about what is healthy (or not!) a lot more, and seems to appreciate her meals a lot. She is always eager to know what her food consists of - not just the carb count - and this interest in food means she is more able to eat a varied diet. In an age where a lot of children (and adults) live on a diet of manufactured food, I think this interest is great.

Diabetes is a learning curve. What you are learning about is something that I believe every person should learn about - what particular foods mean for you personally and what effect different foods have on our bodies and minds (and I 100% believe that BG has a huge effect on behaviour) - and that's part of the reason why I'm very happy to have the job that I do.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosis was a relief to me aged 38, (4.5 years ago) so weak and ill, and mmol of around 45. I've sort of got it under control, have a few bad readings a few days a week, but generally get it right. I'm quite ambivalent to the whole thing, in that it doesn't rule my life, I enjoy going out for food & drinks, and probably far too many carbs. I haven't seen a doctor in 3 years, I just get on with it, don't recommend anyone does the same, I just get on with it.

FinnulaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worrying.
A few months after dx at 21 I read an article in Balance by a 25 year old who'd been T1 for about 5 years, hadn't paid any attention, and so had developed some serious retinopathy. She said her doctor told her if she carried on like that, she would be blind soon. That article seriously motivated me to pay attention. I remember saying to myself that's not going to happen to me, I am not going to go blind. So I've spent a lot of time looking after my sugars, but have still had a good life, few beers at the weekend, backpacking in Asia, and am able to say almost thirty years later that my eyes are fine, and that keeps me motivated.

Sure, there are never any guarantees with complications, but I know that provided I pay a bit of attention to it, I improve my chances massively. That motivates me.

After I learned the basic rules of how much insulin for how much food, I never really bothered looking into T1 too much, wasn't that fussed about research, the minutiae, as I didn't want it to take over my life. Like a lot of people say, it has to live with me, not me with it. But about ten months ago, I decided to fork out for a freestyle libre. I'm really glad I did. Sure, £100 per month, but seeing as that works out per day at the cost of a return bus ticket, I'm happy to pay that for the peace of mind it gives me. Dropping to the point I might go hypo? Downwards arrow shows me so I can nip it in the bud with 5 gm before it even happens. How hard is foot on floor kicking in this morning? Can see it on the graph and pin it with 2u before it starts. Etc. etc. It's like being able to tailor what I do in life to make T1 so much more manageable, can see things developing and stop them before they happen. It's been hugely motivational, like I'm now co-operating with my T1, not fighting it. It levels the playing field.

PS: lol at 51 sounding old! I'm turning 50 next week, so this weekend will be the last weekend I ever spend in my forties! Am going to have to hit the pub, fit in a few tequilas and pretend I'm in my twenties again!

Have no idea what this means but I am googling so much rn...

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just wanted to reassure you that you are most definitely not alone in feeling like this. I work with a 7 year old who has had Type 1 since the age of 2, and although I know she has moments where she wishes she didn't have diabetes daily, I'm amazed at how much she knows about food for a 7 year old. Because she has to think about what she is eating much more than her peers, she thinks about what is healthy (or not!) a lot more, and seems to appreciate her meals a lot. She is always eager to know what her food consists of - not just the carb count - and this interest in food means she is more able to eat a varied diet. In an age where a lot of children (and adults) live on a diet of manufactured food, I think this interest is great.

Diabetes is a learning curve. What you are learning about is something that I believe every person should learn about - what particular foods mean for you personally and what effect different foods have on our bodies and minds (and I 100% believe that BG has a huge effect on behaviour) - and that's part of the reason why I'm very happy to have the job that I do.

With Type 1 it's more the insulin than the food (although both are related). You can eat a perfect healthy diet and still get bad BS if your basal and ratios are out.