The man with the disappearing Type 1. An update...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Perhaps if someone could tell us the name and locus of this mysterious gene we'd be a little wiser. Are there any comments from his medical team yet? Any plans for a paper?

Reactions: Bon83

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm still very sceptical of the whole thing, so looking forward to hearing more details.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
How do we know this is a true article? it could be fake?

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 100% percent sending messages to my pancreas to get itself going again . I feel great for the guy and he genuinely seems to be wanting to help research to get us all fixed. I like running most if the time (not ultra marathon) and I've done some pretty harsh spinning classes. I hope it's true hope it can help us and hope it lasts for him!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Until the morning when I get up, inject nothing whatsoever and don't have to check my BS because they'll be in perfect range then I'll take this sort of information for what it is. Words on a screen.

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am 100% percent sending messages to my pancreas to get itself going again . I feel great for the guy and he genuinely seems to be wanting to help research to get us all fixed. I like running most if the time (not ultra marathon) and I've done some pretty harsh spinning classes. I hope it's true hope it can help us and hope it lasts for him!

Exactly! I do a fair bit of exercise (run 3x a week and walk 3.5 miles at least everyday), while it reduces my insulin intake compared to when I am sitting around, I still have to inject insulin and always will. Will be interesting to see if they follow this up with some kind of journal article to find out if it is true or not? I wonder if he was just misdiagnosed?

Reactions: Bon83

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Maybe they mixed up his specimen with someone else, maybe something changed his cells/antibodies so they don't recognize each other anymore (and there were enough cells left to grow back)

I will watch with interest to see if proof or explanation appear. But it's a pretty long shot that even if it's true, it would translate to the average case

Trouser

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I occasionally have what we call in our household like to call "Pancreas Parties" - when for no discernable reason my pancreas "appears" to start working! In that: I have a hypo after insulin, stop taking insulin (for up to two days!) and my blood sugars remain static and 'in range' (5.4-6.5).

Background: I am only three years into being diagnosed as Type 1 and have been on a pretty standard bolus/basal injection routine. In those three years, I have had maybe 7 or 8 'Pancreas Parties'.

I must note I have never stopped taking my overnight insulin when this happens, but I can eat normally without injecting and my body "appears" to process the glucose - certainly, my blood sugars remain unaffected, and if I do then take insulin I have a hypo.

Whilst there could be any number of reasons for this, it does seem to 'just happen' and is unrelated to anything else - Trust me, my monitoring can border on obsessive (well, since this first happened!) - I always record activity, Carbs, Insulin, the weather so I am getting a pretty wide range of data to compare and analyse.

Just thought I'd throw my experience of 'disappearing diabetes' into the ring!

Reactions: SHROPSHIRE_LADY
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
Hi, this is what happens to me, I will have breakfast without insulin and my body process's the glucose lunchtime I take insulin and find sometimes I will have a hypo never tried not having it through the day. I always take the night insulin. As I too log everything time, dose, etc when I told the doctor that I didn't take morning insulin he looked at me like I'd lost it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
I occasionally have what we call in our household like to call "Pancreas Parties" - when for no discernable reason my pancreas "appears" to start working! In that: I have a hypo after insulin, stop taking insulin (for up to two days!) and my blood sugars remain static and 'in range' (5.4-6.5).

Background: I am only three years into being diagnosed as Type 1 and have been on a pretty standard bolus/basal injection routine. In those three years, I have had maybe 7 or 8 'Pancreas Parties'.

I must note I have never stopped taking my overnight insulin when this happens, but I can eat normally without injecting and my body "appears" to process the glucose - certainly, my blood sugars remain unaffected, and if I do then take insulin I have a hypo.

Whilst there could be any number of reasons for this, it does seem to 'just happen' and is unrelated to anything else - Trust me, my monitoring can border on obsessive (well, since this first happened!) - I always record activity, Carbs, Insulin, the weather so I am getting a pretty wide range of data to compare and analyse.

Just thought I'd throw my experience of 'disappearing diabetes' into the ring!
I have replied below, this is what happens to me, will try not having insulin or lower the dose to start.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Interesting @Trouser :)

I wonder if that's more common than we realise.
I'm almost certain of that Azure. Even 29 years in, there are (rare) occasions where what should be a correct amount of insulin is way too much.

Reactions: azure

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure I have " pancreas parties " after 27 yrs, BUT definitely feel that sometimes I've had a " pancreas reincarnation ".
Those days that are totally normal yet sugars drop as quick as a house brick without a parachute and no matter how much I scrutinise all the facts and figures there seems no logical explanation.
The joys of diabetes. Only plus is the treats throughout the day to get sugars back up.:):):)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm almost certain of that Azure. Even 29 years in, there are (rare) occasions where what should be a correct amount of insulin is way too much.

I get it too. Some days - usually for a period of a few days at a time - I need to,eat silly amounts of food to keep my sugars up. I've also noticed that when I have a cold, my sugars stay low and need lots of food. I used to wonder if the cold distracted my immune system away from my islet cells briefly : D

Interestingly, I also need to,eat large amounts of carbs to do,gardening - even a few minutes of very, very gentle weeding. I thought this was some daft thing that affected just me, but at a clinic some years ago, I met a Type 1 who,said he found that too. He surmised it was the action of bending over and that that might stimulate the pancreas in some way. I don't know about that, but I've noticed it so many times and even done multiple blood tests and carb counts to prove it, so it's definitely a real effect whatever the cause.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm wondering if pancreas or previously processed glucose dumped by the liver as body thinks your fasting?