Diabetics have to queue?

Dollyrocker

Unless you have some other physical impediment you've neglected to mention so far...

DIABETES ISN'T A DISABILITY, IT'S A CONDITION

I think you're all trying to prove too much. Seriously. I skate, I surf, I eat cakes till my belly can't take it anymore, my blood sugars remain within 4.0 and 7.0... I don't care if I can cope with it, or if people think I can't cope with it. I don't care about stereotyping. I simply want to, for one day, not have to worry about it.

So you've pretty much admitted that you were taking the p**s by asking for a band?

your "condition" disables you to produce or regulate insulin.

:roll: if that's the justification then your lack of intelligence is your major disability. I really hope you're a troll rather than the idiot you come across as.

Grow up

jimmyt1988

Try to understand.

I don't want to see people being perdantic about the word disability... It is in a way a disability, It's a disability because as a diabetic person you cannot just up sticks and get going, its a chore, its a minefield if you forget injections, driving means you must do a bloodtest before going, it becomes part of your life, inescapable, and irrepairable. It's not that easy and certainly for the younger generation... and even for me!

And i've certainly always been told to understand it like that. I'm not usually this ferocious but as you can see, It's been biting away at me.

It does disable my freedom, Can I move to a house and live on my own, I sure can but it's a terrible risk If i have a hypo.. There's so many factors that it seems so unfair to be perdantic over calling it a disability.

Please don't take such things as "disables ability to regualte bla bla" so literally, I'm trying to say that in a way, it really is a disability.

So I try to go back to the issue. I feel that after all the bloomin' bother of 14 years of diabetes, or even 2 months.. when i goto a theme park, or something you pay money for and want to enjoy like everyone else... It seems like a reasonable request to just say "Look, dont worry about having to queue, it must be pretty annoying to have to think about it all the time, so dammit, just enjoy yourself, take the Effing huge weight of your shoulders".

I respect that you are all fine with coping and feel you dont want to be classed as disabled and I have no issues with that but when I write a post about how I feel the staff reacted to my needs and also that it was difficult to get the band when I personally feel I deserve a break from the hassle, I am surprised you cannot understand it.

No it's not chessingtons fault i am diabetic, but neither is it mine, so give me a break, I deserve it, and so do you.

redrevis

jimmyt1988 said:
I deal with my diabetes easily, great, fine, but when I go to a theme park, I just wanna flipping enjoy myself you know

So you deal with your Diabetes easily, but you want to skip the queue so you can have a good time and scr*w everyone else who has paid their money and wants to have the same fun that you do. So you did lie when you said you were worried about having hypos in the queue. There's no ifs or buts about it. You lied to gain an advantage over everyone else. I hope you feel really good about yourself. Well done for scr*wing the system to get infront of everyone. Those bands are for people that NEED them, you just WANT one. There is a big bl**dy difference. :evil:

jimmyt1988 said:
but I have a "disability" so give me a break.

Oh jeez, i can just imagine how many times you use this phrase. Talk about feeling sorry for yourself. You freely admit you are as active as the next person and you have 'perfect' levels, yet you use this phrase. You really are showing yourself up.

jimmyt1988 said:
I skate, I surf, I eat cakes till my belly can't take it anymore, my blood sugars remain within 4.0 and 7.0... I simply want to, for one day, not have to worry about it.

So you are completely 100% capable of queuing like everyone else! And to use your logic. For one day I want to not worry about money, so i'll steal some from someone, but as it's only for one day and i'm disabled, that makes it ok. :?

jimmyt1988 said:
It is a right. And don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Oh my god. You really haven't read a single word people have been saying have you. It is NOT A RIGHT to get a band to skip the queue just because you class yourself as disabled. You are clearly able to queue like everyone else, these bands are for those that NEED them. You are abusing the system. You're just as bad as the benefit cheats who abuse the system and the 'disability' cheats that claim when they are not disabled. Do you not understand this? Does that not enter your brain that you are cheating the system for your own gain. Do you not understand that this is wrong? Are you so narrow minded and selfish that you cannot see what you are doing?

jimmyt1988 said:
If kids are reading this, people above are what make life boring.. Zzzz, set the ball rolling and start standing up for you think should be, because if you listen to these boring old farts, you'll never have the satisfaction of a day out and a day off of being bloomin' diabetic. I mean, after all.. We have to have something good happen to us ay, we deserve it.

If kids are reading this i'm sure they will be bright enough to understand that you are no role model to follow and that the 'above posters' are not being boring making life zzz, they are actually the sensible ones that actually believe in fairness and equality. Your logic is "do what needs to be done to have some fun and sod everyone else and the consequences." Great way to influence children. Well done!

jimmyt1988 said:
So shh all of u lol...

It does actually make me laugh that your original post was made expecting everyone to write that they agree with you and all feel sorry for your bad experience with the disabled staff member who tried to withhold the band you should 'rightlyfully' have. It think the phrase 'that backfired' is an understatement :lol:

jimmyt1988 said:
It's like having a disfigured face or something... Don't make a point that you are the same as everyone else and bla bla i can achieve the same as you bla bla look at me climbing a flipping cliff.. Make the most of your uniqueness and understand when you can use it to escape the suckiness of it. etc etc.

How you can compare having diabetes to having a disfigured face is beyond me. Just shows how scr*wed up your thought processes are. But basically what you're saying is, shout to the world you have diabetes, expect them all to feel sorry for you, don't try and get on with life as you normally would, use your 'disability' status to gain as many benefits as you can even if you aren't really entitled to them, just complain and moan until you get them, screw over whoever you have to in the process and be really chuffed with yourself afterwards. What great advice. :roll: Imagine if everyone thought the same way as you. What a great world to live in that would be.

jimmyt1988 said:
have a good time trying to prove to yourselves and others that being diabetic isn't all that bad.. Whilst i prove to everyone that being diabetic is pretty awful and that we deserve a break every now and then.

I think you've got this bit backwards. We all understand how bad diabetes is, we don't have to prove this to ourselves at all, we actually live with it too, that's right the world doesn't just evolve around you, other people deal with it as well. But guess what, some people don't spend their lives feeling sorry for themselves and moaning about it. All you have done is prove what a fool you are and makes me very very glad to think that people like you are in the minority, that's about it.

jimmyt1988 said:
P.S, I didn't make a lie up :S

hahaha, i still can't believe you are trying to convince yourself that you didn't lie. You really are deluded. :lol:

jimmyt1988 said:
P.S I don't ignore hypo signs, infact im rather flipping good at controlling my sugars, i was making a point.

Making the point that you are a liar. Here's the proof:
jimmyt1988 said:
I get to the ride and ignore my symptoms because I am excited about getting on and then have a hypo whilst on it.

The only point you are making is that you lie to get your own way. Pure and simple.

Dippy3103

If everyone who was having a tough time skipped the queue cos they thought they were a deserving case it would be chaos. Lots of people have problems they would love to get away from for the day but don't have to jump the queue to do so.
Perhaps Chessing staff were dubious that you had anything wrong with you because previously unscrupulous people have lied to get the band...,so maybe they have tightened the rules shocking that anyone should do such a thing eh?

Dollyrocker

Excellent post redrevis

Jimmy, I could sit here and pick your post apart and try and how you why you are so hideously wrong but I really can't be bothered.

You carry on being a bitter and whingy, moaning little cry baby and rinse every 'benefit you can out of this 'hideous disabling disease' you say that you have, I shall carry on living my life in 99% the same way as I did 16 years ago before I was diagnosed with my 'condition'

jimmyt1988

Well before you pick mine apart, just make sure you know diabetes is a disability.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... imination/
before posting again. Wouldn't like to see you get a fact wrong.

I'm not one to complain about my diabetes... I'd say all of my friends would back me up on that "Oh it's not a big deal" kind of attitude. I'd say this is the first time i've actually complained *scratches head*. I actually think it's just that time in my life where i'm starting to question how poor ole me gets diabetes (which is understandable of course, I'm not a robot without emotions, and I am allowed to feel a bit bloody down about it once in my life as im sure ud agree :) ). I mean, I've always had a very good understanding of my diabetes and so it does make it easier to cope with, so I guess I never really complained before, it's recent things like wanting to move out or go on holidays on my own that really expose how irritating it is to keep on top of hehe.

I remember the doctor telling me that diabetes can be caused by extreme stress. My parents pinned it down to the Christmas day where my alcoholic uncle pushed my Nan of (70 years old) over breaking her beautiful necklace, enraging my already disabled grandfather. I rememeber hearing so much shouting down stairs and my brothers crying alongside me and I had the flu at the time too when I was 7... Horrific day and I think my parents always blamed my uncle for it so it's a "Why me?" kind of question or a "can I really blame it on one person"... Which I decided not to so I plodded on through life thinking very positively about having the disability, forgiving my uncle for the awful event (which ironically continued to happen and still happens), you know.. Oh it's not all bad, atleast I get to skip queues at theme parks... Makes it worth while hehe *giggles*.

It also helped to see my grandad lose his toe, foot, ankle, lower leg, upper leg, eye sight, life from bad diabetic control. I didn't want that to happen to me so I forced myself to be bloody good at controlling it. It's an odd thing to be presented with (and youll all know this) the realisation that if youre not doing it right, your shortening your life. *shivers*.

Try understand that I'm not some trolling blubbering idiot with a passion for self pity.. I guess i'm trying to... I don't know.. I guess, I'm trying to regain just a tiny sympathy from these bigger places.. I think that I was a little confused as the times I had gone to such places before, I'd just let my parents go pick up the disability bands and I'd be like "yay", see i can cope with diabetes because It's not all bad, someone understands!

Perhaps I'm talking to the wrong people, I should be talking to the youngsters but I'm only 21 and for some reason I still feel that I kinda deserve a little chin up. As I think you all do.. I guess it's also because I never ever complain about my diabetes that my only escape and acknowledgment of my condition / disability / illness was at these places.

I'm sure you'll manage to pick this post apart too but I'm really trying to level it all out again. I was surprised before which triggered my anger button because when explaining it to a friend, they always go "goodness of course you deserve it" because they know the type of person i am and how i never complain and never even mention the words diabetes so they'd probably understand it differently from internet users who don't know who i am and thus would understandably find it hard to comprehend the angle at which i'm coming from.

That's a lot of writing. I'd better get to work.

Dollyrocker

Oh woe is you :roll:

You are covered by the Disabilities discrimination act, that doesn't mean you are disabled (though many diabetics are through complications)

atleast I get to skip queues at theme parks

No, you don't that rule is in place to help thouse who are not ABLE BODIED or lack the mental capacity to stand in a queue for extended periods of time. You are neither (though I do think you lack mental capacity in other areas)

You are a ********. end of.

C

catherinecherub

Jimmy, stop digging. :wink:

Attachments

• Digging.jpg
    Digging.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,062

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried this at Alton Towers last year - they told me no, too. I stuck my neck out, gave it a go and they said no. It would have been nice to have got queue jump, but they said no.

No big deal.

I agree with the OP in that IT WOULD BE NICE to get stuff like queue jump at parks - but when people that are perfectly able to stand in a queue start standing in the disabled queue, it starts to impact on theose people that really couldn't go to the parks WITHOUT favourable treatment.

Disabled people have got as much right as us to enjoy the rides - THAT'S why queue jump exists.

Keep on trying though - just don't get cut up when you get the knock back... :wink:

Dollyrocker

I think Jimmy needs to be reminded of the definition of disabled, I'm using the DDA one since that's the one he keeps reeling out as his justification for 'milking the system'

http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/equality/disab ... bility.cfm

Some key points from that articel;

'A physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person's ability to carry out day-to-day activities.'

I think we've ascertained that this isn't the case for Jimmy

An impairment must affect at least one of the following:

mobility
manual dexterity
physical co-ordination
continence
ability to lift, carry or move everyday objects
speech, hearing or eyesight
memory or ability to learn, concentrate or understand
ability to recognise physical danger

Nope, still not relevant to Jimmy

Progressive conditions
Where a person is suffering from a progressive condition, the Act will cover them from the moment that there is a noticeable effect on normal day-to-day activities - the effect does not have to satisfy the 'substantial' criteria below.

If such a case comes before a tribunal, you may need medical evidence to prove that it is likely that the condition will indeed progress.

A genetic pre-disposition towards a condition is not sufficient to show impairment - where someone in known to be carrying a gene that will or may lead to an impairment, they are only covered from the time that the first effects of the impairment appear - and only then if it is a progressive condition.

Not yet for Jimmy

I rest my case

A

Anonymous

It seems some members don't know the difference between a valid comment and personal insults to other members. Some of the posts have been edited to remove such comments.

This behaviour is no longer tolerated on this forum. Please remember this when posting responses.

A repetition could lead to members being suspended or banned.

It appears that this thread is going nowhere and is just repeating what has already been posted.

Therefore the thread is now locked.

Mod 3.

A

Anonymous

Should diabetics have to queue?

A recent thread about the right of people with diabetes to jump queues has ignited the forum. Should diabetes be treated as a disability that allows those affected special rights? In this case, the post refers to an entertainment setting, but how far should this extend?
Should privileges extend to all people with diabetes, or just those struggling for control for whom a queue could present a serious problem? The forum remains divided! Give us your say in the Diabetes Forum.

As the topic has been mentioned in the DCUK newsletter we will give this another go.

Please give your comments on the general question and issue mentioned in the newsletter, not on the OP of the thread!

This thread will be monitored closely, if it goes down hill again it will be permenently locked

Mod 2.

judy59

I can understand queue jumping if they can't control their disability, but queue jumping just incase you get a hypo????? Get a life mate, manage your levels and lighten up, life is for enjoying, not rushing from one ride to another. You are not 'different', so why expect to be treated so????? I look after children, I have type 2 diabetes, I go to theme parks and wait in line like everyone else, gives me plenty of time to check levels and if the little kids can wait, then so can I.

JanetS

Just to add my thoughts...

I am newly diagnosed with T2; since Christmas Eve 2009. I take my medication and get on with life as I can. I try to forget I have it, and it's usually my Mum who reminds me (when thinking about food etc.)

However, what has drawn my attention to this post is the bands offered by theme parks to Q jumpers for medical problems. I have mentioned before, and will say again, I have rheumatoid arthritis and peripheral neuropathy. These I cannot ignore as I am in daily pain. I try to walk (though I do have a Blue Badge), but often my toes flair up in excrutiating pain. (They are burning now, as I type.) My hands are fit for nothing after I've so much as hoovered my flat. If i have to queue in a busy supermarket I get distressed because my legs hurt. I am on so much medication a day, and even have to take top ups of prescription pain killers at times.

But I get on with life. I work, albeit part time to cut down on workload and stress factors. Mum and I go out and about a lot, either sight seeing or on holidays.

But I have never ever ever EVER thought of using these conditions to jump queues at places. In fact, I've never even thought about it, or even knew that you could!

So I certainly wouldn't put my diabetes up as an excuse.

I guess it's all about you/me/us as a person and what you want and expect out of life.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I am diabetic also a wheelchair user due to a spinal injury

What ******** me off the most :evil:
Is when I am first at the Bus Stop Queue , when the bus finally arrives
all the walking Jump in front of me :shock:

this seems to happen at most queues ,when your sitting in a wheelchair
All I can think is that there is some secret law that states
If your sitting your not in the queue :oops:

Or are all the others also diabetic ? :D

chrisy

I didn't even realise diabetes was a disability. If I go somewhere where you have to queue I just make sure I have a bottle of sports drink and a piece of fruit or some jelly babies with me. I never thought of getting a fast pass, I did at Disney World back in May but that was only because I was staying at the resort and that is what you have paid for. If it is sunny I wear a hat and cover my neck, but I always have. I have arthritits in my knees and back but still wouldn't think of jumping the queue but I suppose that's just me.

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been a diabetic for many years, and carry on with a fairly normal day to day life, with a lot of control and a few problems.

But if someone wants to class me as disabled, then fine by me, it's only a title, and I dont really care one way or another, a Rose by any other name etc etc

But if being classed as disabled provides a bit of assistance for someone at university, or perhaps a Blue Parking badge for those not so active, or helps cut people some slack to take work breaks, or any other non monetary benefits, like being able to short cut a queue, then I say bring it all on.

You may not feel like you are, but why deny you have a condition that has been classed as a disability and that affects your life.

Although some don't need the help that is offered, many do, and if too many start shouting that diabetics are not disabled, somebody somewhere may actually listen, and take away the help that is available to those that do need it, and the more help that is offered can only be a good thing.

crushersmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thorpe Park gives passes to my son who has type 1 diabetes. I started asking for one after we spent 3 1/2 hours in a queue one day in August to a water ride ( tidal wave- which leaves you soaked to the skin at the end) & ran out of food during the time as we had left all the bags including the test kit in the lockers at the start of the queue so as not to get them wet on the ride. We never expecting a ride queue to be so long. He did of course refuse to leave his place in the queue after 3 hours even though he said he was going low, just to go back & find some food as he thought we were so close to the ride by then, but as a mother it was very worrying as he had just asked for some food & we had none. He was aged about 13 at the time. We now get a pass to get to the front of the queue so that he knows his BMs when he goes on the ride, but it does not give a major advantage over other ride users in terms of fitting in more rides as when you use the pass they note the length of time that you have avoided by missing the queue ( ie it would have been 3.5 hours that first time) and add that time onto the current time and you are not allowed to use the time for another 3.5 hours. This means you get no more rides than others but at least you do not have to spend all that time in a queue without your bags/food test kit. You can go on a ride with no queues during the time, but not the oneswith big queues. To be honest the experience was so bad that we have made an effort to return only on INSET days out of high season as then hte queues are far shorter & the problem doesn't arise.

Dollyrocker

You may not feel like you are, but why deny you have a condition that has been classed as a disability and that affects your life.

That's not how it's defined though is it? Diabetics are covered by the disabilities discrimination act but you (general) are not 'disabled' by default (see the text I posted a few posts back) Obviously if you have complications caused by your diabetes then yes, you may well come under that description but it certainly isn't a 'one size fits all' description of a diabetic.

I for one do not want to be classed as disabled as I catagorically am not and I most definitely to not expect anyone to make unesseccary exceptions for me as I am merely a diabetic.

TheWeasel

Dislikes
People who drive whilst using a mobile phone, as one of em killed my best mate!
Jimmy,
At first glance I was going to simply reply that you don’t need a queue-dodgers band, or a letter, you just need a pack of glucose tabs, a BG tester, a hat and a bit of patience, like the rest of us have to make do with.

Then again, you didn’t mention how serious your Diabetes is but bearing in mind you possess a letter from your doctor …we must assume this genuinely reflects an inability to control your Diabetes to the point where waiting in a queue would be a real risk for you.

Such a restriction must be awful. Presumably you don’t have a DVLA licence, as waving a letter at a queue of traffic would be ineffective. But then, queuing for a bus or train must also present a similar risk too.

This may explain why, after what must have been a considerable effort just getting to CWA, you hoped for a ‘ruddy good time’.

You say CWA are way off the mark when it comes to defining disability.
Well….this is it, from the front end of the 1995 Disability Discrimination Act
1 Meaning of “disability” and “disabled person”
(1) Subject to the provisions of Schedule 1, a person has a disability for the purposes of this Act if he has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

Normal day to day activity = queuing…….so in your own specific case against CWA, it’s one nil to you.
Thankfully the majority of us type 1’s are able to carry out normal day to day activities 99.99% of the time so are NOT classed as disabled. However, we do suffer some really severe discrimination which can actually induce loss of Diabetic control, as well as many other life-changing problems.
The DDA is supposed to cover us, and I’ve considered using it, but it looks like the ideal tool to help me talk myself out of my job so I just have to suffer !

Hope you improve control to a point where you can chuck the Doc's letter away.