UNUSUAL HYPO HELP!

Shazzle80

Hi guys.

Do any of you relate or have any experience of this, on Sunday I had a hypo at 10:30pm wheere my sugars dropped to 2.4, I was convinced I was coming down with a sickness bug because I felt so ill (I wasn't it was just the low!) but my gosh, it took me 2 hours and a load more sugar than normal to raise it up. In the end I used a glucose pouch my husband takes on long distance

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds horrible @Shazzle80 Did you find any reason for,it?

I've had similar persistent lows when I've had a migraine or tummy bug.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could well be that then. Perhaps you were more active or got out of routine? Even on basal/bolus, I find that sometimes a change of routine can mess up blood sugars.

I hope you had a nice time despite the annoying hypo :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Shazzle80
could I ask what your background insulin is ??
and what time you take it ?

Shazzle80

It could well be that then. Perhaps you were more active or got out of routine? Even on basal/bolus, I find that sometimes a change of routine can mess up blood sugars.

I hope you had a nice time despite the annoying hypo :)

We really did. It was amazing, thank you.

I guess the change in temp and all these other activities may have played its part. I'm noticing now the weather is warming that I'm having more hypos. I current have two units of insulin to 10 carbs, I'm thinking I may need to alter that.

Just as you think you're understanding this bloody illness something else rears its ugly head!

Jesus pancreas, you had ONE JOB! ;)

Shazzle80

Hi @Shazzle80
could I ask what your background insulin is ??
and what time you take it ?

Hiya.

I was changed in February from Humalin I to Levimer. I became resistant to the Humalin (wtfreak?) and also wasn't losing weight on it and I went past 10 stone which isn't a comfortable one for me.

My Levemir was 22 units in the evening but thst did nothing to help my sugars. I found by splitting it to 10 in the am and 12 in the PM it really stabilised me :) xx

Reactions: himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I guess the change in temp and all these other activities may have played its part. I'm noticing now the weather is warming that I'm having more hypos. I current have two units of insulin to 10 carbs, I'm thinking I may need to alter that.

Plus if you had active insulin on board from your previous bolus dose it wouldn't help matters @Shazzle80

Some us do find our insulin requirements (mainly basal) reduces in the warmer weather and increases again when it gets cooler.

Reactions: Shazzle80

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
thanks for the reply-- it was just a shot in the dark that you may have been using lantus-- so you are not so my query is not relevant.

the weather does seem to be a significant factor for you.......... hopefully you can make some sense of the replies and get to a better place control wise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
Hi guys.

Do any of you relate or have any experience of this, on Sunday I had a hypo at 10:30pm wheere my sugars dropped to 2.4, I was convinced I was coming down with a sickness bug because I felt so ill (I wasn't it was just the low!) but my gosh, it took me 2 hours and a load more sugar than normal to raise it up. In the end I used a glucose pouch my husband takes on long distance
Yes, I can relate to it two days ago I had a hypo around 11.oclock morning time my blood had dropped to 2.4 even though I had eaten breakfast by the time I realised it was a hypo it was too late I felt so ill had loads of Lucozade and sugar, I then had lunch/dinner at 1.0colock but had extra insulin to compensate for the extra sugar, by 3.oclock in the afternoon the same thing happened it was down to 2.4 again had more sugar at that point went to bed. There are times I want to give up with it but I keep trying to get it right sometimes I think I never will, trouble with hypos they really knock me about maybe its because I'm old and my body cant cope.