Let's have a grumble!

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Slightly different but a grumble all the same. In my first few weeks at university my tutor group were invited round to the tutor's house for a meal. He had taken the trouble to ask me beforehand if there was anything I shouldn't eat which I thought was very kind. As I was still honeymooning and following dietician's advice of carbs at every meal I said I could pretty much eat anything. He ended up serving a buffet so there was lots to pick and choose from. Then it came to pudding... He listed a range of options including ice-cream, chocolate cake, sticky toffee pudding and went round the group asking what each person wanted and served it to them. When he got to me, before I'd even had a chance to open my mouth to politely decline, he said loudly "You can't have any of this! Don't try and be naughty and say it's ok. If you eat this you're a bad diabetic. You're not allowed any sugar!" I was speechless and so embarrassed. I could feel myself turn bright red. I felt so upset, especially because some of the ppl in my group had no idea I'd got diabetes.

It didn't make much of a difference to my group as it happened...They still got me a gigantic chocolate cake for my birthday the following month but they ate most of it

Weird. What a difference in attitude from asking you beforehand what you could and couldn't eat. Has he been drinking? Lol!

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
Lovin' the thread and, like many others, I've genuinely been there .. done that. Best though, was when next door neighbour brought me over a slab of coconut cake that she had cooked. She knows I'm recently diagnosed T2 but thought that this would be OK because "coconut isn't fattening", (I think she forgot about the cake bit and all it's sugar, cream and frosting)
Once again, it was a case of: listen, nod, smile and say thankyou, ignore .. this time, though, the "ignore" meant that the cake disappeared into the bin as soon as she left
Oh .. and, by the way, I hate coconut :yuck:

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
Lovin' the thread and, like many others, I've genuinely been there .. done that. Best though, was when next door neighbour brought me over a slab of coconut cake that she had cooked. She knows I'm recently diagnosed T2 but thought that this would be OK because "coconut isn't fattening", (I think she forgot about the cake bit and all it's sugar, cream and frosting)
Once again, it was a case of: listen, nod, smile and say thankyou, ignore .. this time, though, the "ignore" meant that the cake disappeared into the bin as soon as she left
Oh .. and, by the way, I hate coconut :yuck:
Whet a waste! The birds wd hv eaten it...