4 weeks in and melt down hit!!!

Miss_Piggywig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I was told I have type 2 and given no information or support. Off you go, come back in 3 months. I joined you all here and bought a glucose monitor. After seeing what carbs did to the numbers I've cut down to between 60 to 80g of carbs a day. No sugar and avoid sweeteners too. 3 weeks in and everywhere I look there is stuff I can't eat and drink. So last night the anger came out. So I am hoping you lovely people will be able to answer a couple of questions for me. To help me continue moving forward.
1. Will I ever be able to eat a piece of cake or chocolate again?? (I'm talking treats at birthdays kind of thing)
2. My blood glucose is 6.8 on waking and generally I'm keeping it below 10. Just a couple of times its been 12.4ish is this OK? I have no idea if this is really good or bad. Oh should of said I'm not taking medication.
Thanks for reading such a long post.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I expect most of us go through these feelings every now and again. It is normal.

I personally see no reason for denying yourself occasional treats, as long as they are occasional and don't lead to falling off the wagon completely. I look forward to my special treats, but they are special and not regular. You may also find that after a period of no sugar that when you eat that piece of cake it tastes far too sweet and not that pleasant either, so you don't bother with it again. Many people on here eat a square or two of very high cocoa content chocolate and find that satisfies their urge for chocolate.

The NHS guidelines say this:
Before meals between 4 and 7
At least 90 minutes after a meal under 8.5.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Miss_Piggywig and welcome! You've definitely come to the right place for advice and support and great that you have a meter. The link below will give you an idea of the ranges you are looking for:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

I'm assuming you've just been diagnosed, so your sugar levels may take a little while to come down, but cutting out carbs will be helping with that.

I'm tagging @daisy1 who will give you some useful information for newbies - have a read and ask as many questions as you like.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I was told I have type 2 and given no information or support. Off you go, come back in 3 months. I joined you all here and bought a glucose monitor. After seeing what carbs did to the numbers I've cut down to between 60 to 80g of carbs a day. No sugar and avoid sweeteners too. 3 weeks in and everywhere I look there is stuff I can't eat and drink. So last night the anger came out. So I am hoping you lovely people will be able to answer a couple of questions for me. To help me continue moving forward.
1. Will I ever be able to eat a piece of cake or chocolate again?? (I'm talking treats at birthdays kind of thing)
2. My blood glucose is 6.8 on waking and generally I'm keeping it below 10. Just a couple of times its been 12.4ish is this OK? I have no idea if this is really good or bad. Oh should of said I'm not taking medication.
Thanks for reading such a long post.
It just hits you, really, is all I can say. Then, in my case, the doubts about the diet advice and lack of treatment. It takes a while to adjust. Use a meter before and 2 hours after meals. Take out the goods which cause the greatest BG spikes. These will be refined carbohydrates. Avoid root vegetables, bread (even wholemeal), cereals, pasta. You will be able to tell what affects you as an individual. We all seem to be a bit different. I mainly eat bacon eggs meat leafy vegetables salads nuts a very few occasional berries olive oil cauliflower and an occasional couple of squares of dark 85%+ chocolate. My father had a birthday this week and I bought him a chocolate cake. I had a very small piece really just to share the occasion with the family (I would normally avoid cake of course) and it tasted so sweet I didn't really enjoy it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt panic earlier this week. It was my daughters 18th birthday on Thursday and she wanted chocolate cake. She let me off baking one as that would have been torture! I bought her one from Tesco and then felt sad that I wouldn't be having any. I madly trawled the internet and found this low carb chocolate mug cake. One cake with two tablespoons of double cream 10g carbs! :)
Ingredients:
Cooking oil spray
1 egg
2 tblsp cocoa powder
2 tblsp granulated Splenda
1 tblsp double cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking powder

Method:
Spray inside of mug with oil.
Beat the egg in a small bowl.
In another bowl mix together cocoa powder, Splenda. Then add cream and vanilla extract.
Then add the egg.
Mix well.
Then add baking powder..
Mix well again.
Pour into mug.
Tap firmly on work top to remove large bubbles.
Zap in micro for 1 min 20 secs depending on your microwave. The top of the cake should be firm.
Tip out onto plate to cool.

(Tried to post a pic but the file's too large :arghh:)

Last edited:

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Open the pic in paint and there is a button to reduce the file size. Save the reduced file and post it.:D

Reactions: Rachox

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The blood range numbers are available on this site, but just for convenience I keep them as a memo on my phone and then I can always have a quick check if I forget what's what:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

These numbers might not suit every situation, but like I say, they're the guidelines I go by and I don't think they're far wrong. Going by this, your numbers don't look too bad, so I think you can take some encouragement and persevere! It gets easier, and I would imagine you can keep getting your levels down- you've only been at it 3 weeks.
I got my numbers down to the point where the doctor who diagnosed me with type 2 said I didn't have it after all- not everyone is going to be that lucky, but most people can certainly get themselves under better control, so don't get angry or feel down: you seem to be in a decent place number-wise, and should keep going.
What happens with me now is that I don't generally eat any carbs or sugar, but I'll have some birthday cake on occasion, or eat a pie or a sandwich or something, and it doesn't raise my levels too much. Maybe you can stick to fairly tight control for now, and if you get your levels down and stable, you can try the odd bit of carby food and test yourself to see what you can handle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miss_Piggywig

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normal fasting (ie non-diabetic person's fasting level)- below 6.1
Type 2 diabetic fasting- 7.0 or over

Normal 2hrs after meal- below 7.8
Type 2 2hrs after meal- 11.1 or over.

For T2 fasting, do you mean 7 or under?

Your 2 hour post meal figure is very high. Even the NHS and NICE say under 8.5.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For T2 fasting, do you mean 7 or under?

Your 2 hour post meal figure is very high. Even the NHS and NICE say under 8.5.
OK Bluetit: thanks for the catch, I may have confused the numbers there: I did take them off this site but they are the diagnosis figures rather than recommended- I'll take them down in case it confuses the issue. For me, it's just I try to be under 6.1 for fasting and 7.8 for two hours post meal, and I never go near the upper levels anyway

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK Bluetit: thanks for the catch, I may have confused the numbers there: I did take them off this site but they are the diagnosis figures rather than recommended- I'll take them down in case it confuses the issue. For me, it's just I try to be under 6.1 for fasting and 7.8 for two hours post meal, and I never go near the upper levels anyway

I'm just pleased it was down to confusion and not what you actually aimed for! :)

My personal targets are between 4 and 7, but of course I'm human (and diabetic) so don't always manage the upper limit. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm sure we all have treat days when we have cake etc. You can always have cake without all that silly icing sugar coating, 85% dark chocolate and so on. Your figures don't seem too bad. It's when you are in the teens numbers too often that you need to worry more. You may need to start metformin particularly if you have excess weight.

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I wouldn't worry about it too much. My own experience so far (4 months on from diagnosis) is that I keep having these short little "episodes" of falling off, seeing what it's doing to my blood sugar and getting right back to the diet again. I did think I'd been messing it up by doing this but my latest hba1c was literally less than half the previous one, so ultimately I'm going in the right direction and that's what really counts.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMG_7336.JPG
Here's the 10 carb cake! I was just on my iPhone so no fancy programs to reduce the file size. I did what @Scott-C suggested thank you!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Miss_Piggywig

Hello Miss Piggywig and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope it will help you. Ask questions when you need to and someone will come and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 23156 Here's the 10 carb cake! I was just on my iPhone so no fancy programs to reduce the file size. I did what @Scott-C suggested thank you!

Nice one.

I have quite the repertoire of low carb baking recipes, most of them are easier and less hassle than carby baking.
Tend to save them for emergencies or special occasions, but they are quick and easy to make and almost all the ingredients keep very well, ready for use.

So low carbing most definitely doesn't mean a life without treats, cakes and other indulgences.

Have you seen these websites? The recipes are consistently great:

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/category/cakes

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2016/09/cinnamon-apple-crumb-cake-low-carb.html

https://low-carb-support.com/low-carb-tiffin-chocolate-cake/

and this is an all time fave

Stracciatella cake
110 g butter, softened
120 g cream cheese
5 eggs, medium size
185 g almond flour
sweetener equivalent to 100g sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
almond essence/orange essence/vanilla essence
50 g of 85% chocolate

Preheat oven to 170 ° C.
Mix butter and cream cheese really well
Add sweetener and essence of your choice and stir again
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition
Stir in almond flour and baking powder
Chop chocolate into small pieces and add to the mixture
Line and grease a small loaf tin or use a silicon baking dish
Pour in the cake mixture, level out the top
Bake for 55 minutes at 170 ° C in a fan assisted oven (would be 180 in a normal oven I think)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is nothing better than being able to run to the kitchen and make yourself an omelette.
High levels of glucose have consequences, and the longer you stick to low carb foods the fewer the problems will be, and the less inviting 'normal' foods will seem and also taste - I now wonder how anyone could tolerate the amount of sugars in foods.

You can find things which are OK - the Lidl protein rolls, the high cocoa chocolate, and you can make substitutes, and your blood glucose will stay low and go lower.
I regularly see under 7 after meals, and I hardly notice the high carb foods on offer. When I do see them, I find I can resist them - they are no longer on my menu. It is for my continued good health, my mobility - it could even go as far as the difference between life and death. I saw my grandmother deteriorate and then vanish away when I was a child - she had diabetes and her husband and my father thought that she needed drinks with sugar in, and high carb foods, so they saw that she got them.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The thing about diabetes is it can catch you out in the most difficult of circumstances. Parties (surprise ones) and unexpected invites to meals at friends.
I think you have realised the benefits to perfect bgs to managing your diabetes.
Over time you will learn how to do your best to correct any unexpected high bgs too (e.g illness).
All anyone expects from you @Miss_Piggywig is to do what you can in your fixed circumstances.
In the ideal world we would all have perfect bgs all of the time now we know we are diabetic.
Anyone who says their bgs are are either in remission or were never diabetic in the first place.
Everyone of us spikes from either a food, illness or stress etc.
Now you know you are diabetic and have found 1tool to help control your diabetes go exploring and find out what tweaks or further tools you can find to help you and your personal lifestyle.
A change of lifestyle is always recommended from high carb, stagnant lifestyle and unawareness of how to stay healthy.
We are with you all the way!
It is a marathon not a sprint!
However there are so many participants here we see a struggler and we pick them up and carry them if need be.
Just til there able to carry on.

Our aim is to keep you independant and in control with the confidence to carry on.
We all get bad moments. We are human afterall.
Welcome and feel free to pass on your experience too. It all helps. ;)

Miss_Piggywig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much everyone. I now feel like I'm on the right track and those results aren't dreadful. Yes it's not below 7 after eating. Don't think it ever is. It's often just below 7 fasting but it's better then the 14 it was. I will keep going as I know I have to for me and my family and now I know that even if the doctors aren't much help you all are. Thank you and I look forward to trying a low carb cake soon.