Beach Holiday

Verve09

Hello guys!

I just wanted to ask your advice about how you deal with holidays, especially beach/sun/sand trips. I know it's common to detach the pump and go back to injections for a week or so, but I'm not really keen to do this. I tend to insert the cannula in my stomach but this isn't ideal for wearing bikinis!

I have the accu-chek combo so I'm able to go swimming for 60mins. I was thinking about inserting the cannula in my thigh and wearing some short-type bottoms that I could attach the pump to.

Do others have any suggestions for how to get around this?
Thanks,
Beth

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

I don't have a pump yet but as im getting one i'm interested in things like this so i'm also wanting to know the answer :)

i didnt know the combo was waterproof!! thats the one im getting (yey)

Could you disconnect for a little while? i know some pumps aren't waterproof so some people disconnect whilst showering or having a bath, so you could do that for swimming etc?

just a few blind suggestions i guess :)

hope you have a nice holiday though :)

iHs

Hi

I also have the Combo and am in two minds whether to take it abroad or leave it at home and go back to bolus/basal for a while.

The reason I say this is if the pump goes wrong, then it's going to be a nightmare using my mobile and phoning the pump company asking them for a replacement. Also a few years back, I took my camera on a beach and a grain of sand got jammed in the lens preventing it from opening and closing. It cost me one huge amount of money in the UK to get it fixed so I don't think that taking a pump onto a sandy beach is really a good idea. Another thing I found out a while ago from reading messages on a another forum is that salt water (sea) can make the infusion sets literally float out. Person was happily swimming and noticed her infusion set floating on top of the water :cry: :lol: :lol:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd be worried about the sand and I have similar worries to IHS about pump malfunctions when visiting the UK :wink:
However,at this time of year,I swim several times a day in a salt water pool with no problems so I don't think sea swimming would be a problem.

thedriver

I have been on the accu chek combo now since jun 2009.

I noticed someone stated earlier that they didn;t realise the combo is water proof....it is only certified waterproof on leaving the factory, I would never risk going swiming with it, I think its basically splashproof and it would be awful for this to be ruined whilst away due to swimming.

I think the original posters comment related to disconnection from the pump while swimming for 60 mins.

I have been lucky enough to have been abroad on holiday to Egypt 3 times since I have been on the pump, and the way I treat it is I have a break from the pump and revert back to the pen injections, and the lantus for the basal.

This works for me as I have young children, who want to play in the pool, on the beach in the sea, using this method, I dont have to worry about being disconnected for to long, insulin becoming inactive due to the heat and one which I hadn't thought of until reading this thread sand in the pump.

Yes the control may suffer a little, but its a holiday and so long as the bM are being done regular, you can control it.

sugar2

I am on Accuchek combo too...although alas no longer have the stomach to warrant wearing a bikini...so I write thsi from a position of pure jealousy :D

I have one of those pouches that hangs from my bra...and occasional wear it in the gym, on the outside of my sports bra...and no one seems to notice/care that it is there. I would definaetly take it off for swimming though! Not sure about the sand..some of the little pouchers would be almost sand proof I guess?

I have had only one expereince of going abrouad with my pump..although not to a beach, and it never occured to me not to take my pump. You have to take it off to go through the scanners etc, but other than that, no problems. I also took my basal bolus pens and insulin, just in case

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can I clarify, I meant the canula didn't float off while swimming in salt water, like others I wouldn't wear my pump in the water. When I was deciding which pump to get I originally wanted to get a waterproof one but then the French health care authority issued a notice stating that no pumps, even those that are claimed to be waterproof should be warn in the water. They had a number of cases of pumps (I think mostly cosmos) that were later found to have hairline cracks and then failed after being used in water. This is the same reason that Medtronic stopped claiming its pumps were waterproof.
Actually now I really can't imagine that I'd want to wear it in the water, but then I don't stay in as long as a child might want to.

twedspeed

Just got back from IBIZA and I had the same thoughts as you before I went - In all truthfullness your fighting a loosing battle , I held out for 2 days before reverting to injections ( long lasting & fast acting ) AND :D :D :D :D ...heres the best bit - It was great 8) - I ve been attached to this **** pump everyday for 5 long years - it was an absolute pleasure to rid myself of it for the remainder of my holls - My big lumpy canular sites went down , my bruised and mottled skin cleared up ( helped by a deep golden balieric tan ) and I felt free ! - I just got up and dived in the pool when I liked - and best of all my kids were free to push me in whenever they liked - ( which was all the time lol) I actually felt like a normal person again - I,m back home now and plugged in to my pump around the clock again - but I feel like I,ve had a PROPPER HOLIDAY .............
OK I was a bit paranoid and testing like a nutter , and yes I had 1 little hypo ette. :oops: :oops: but it was well worth it.
Roll on next year.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hmmm, good postings people! I haven't been on holiday yet with my combo but I have been to a Spa which had pools and hot tubs etc. I'm not a huge fan of swimming but when I went in, I took the pump off and did my dutiful lengths but for the 'fun' stuff in the hot tubs I just stayed attached and close to the edge?! I guess it depends on what works for you. I know when I go to the beach I don't go in the ocean that much, I tend to paddle and play in the sand, so my pump will stay tucked into my bikini top the same way it stays in my bra I guess! No thoughts about the cannular though......but I would imagine as long as I keep some spares close by and as long as it stays pretty dry then it should be ok? I'm not sure I would want to go back to pens but I totally understand the freedom it must give you for a pool-based holiday 8)