Type 1 Is there someone I can talk to privately?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I need to talk to someone, because I can not say it on the forums?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're anonymous on the forums, so I can't see how it could hurt to stick it on here.

Hope all's ok.

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried to overdose on my insulin last night. I want to do it again. I've had enough of my life :(

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good advice from catapillar, Alex. You have taken the first step and reached out to this forum. Now ring the Samaritans so you can "talk" to someone -anonymously if you wish. There are people out there that care and are happy to listen and offer advice/ help. Please do it now.

Ewan1

This sounds condescending BUT

Things are sortable !!! moods change, whats so bad that you feel this way ?? if talking on here or privately helps, then feel free. YOU should try if able to contact your local mental health crisis team, if able could go to A&E and ask for Mental Health Liaison, or GP who will refer you.

I'm sorry you feel like this, PLEASE talk to people or do the above

This is said with caring x

Reactions: Struma

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mum told me she wished she had aborted me and that she wished she had miscarried, just because I won't eat because I have a fear it will make me sick. She won't even take me to the doctors, to see what the problem is. I just want to die.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How old are you @Alex_B ? People say things they don't mean in stressful situations. It must have hurt to hear that but I'm sure it wasn't meant.

You do need to seek help with your self harm urges, please call the Samaritans or NHS 111, they may be able to get you in touch with your mental health crisis team.

How are you feeling after the overdose? How much insulin did you take? are you keeping a close eye on your blood sugar now?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im 20. I have tried samaritans before they didn't help me they made things a lot worse for me.

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't care if my blood sugar goes low, I don't care anymore. People wanted me to take my insulin, so this is how I am doing it.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't care if my blood sugar goes low, I don't care anymore. People wanted me to take my insulin, so this is how I am doing it.

Low blood sugar does mean your brain isn't working properly for decision making. Please don't make such as decision when you're not capable of thinking straight. The other thing that can make you not capable of thinking straight is depression and anxiety, please seek help with how you are feeling. If you'd rather not speak to the Samaritans you can call NHS 111 or you can go to A&E.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
@Alex_B Mums can be horrible sometimes and I have been there in my childhood so you are not alone. But please try to find someone to talk to and like now. The Samaritans is a good idea or if you have a friend /friends mum you can trust, talk to them. Depending on how old you are a school counsellor may be an alternative for you. A&E can help but can be a bit daunting on your own so see if a friend can go with you if you choose to go that way. If you can hang on and get to your doctor they may be able to help.

The big D is a PITA to deal with sometimes whether T1 or T2 or Variants in between. We all have bad days and eat too much/ not enough and I kinda understand if your mum is frustrated and says horrible things because you won't eat cos you are scared it will make you sick.
Perhaps you both need to get some assistance in dealing with this wretched disease. The good news is there is help out there in many ways - the hard bit sometimes is getting started.

This disease is manageable - don't let it defeat you please.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alex

You have had really good advice about contacting the Samaritans, and seeing if you can make an appointment with a counsellor or talk to a friend.

Do you have a phone and some privacy so that you can make the call?

Reactions: ickihun and Jaylee

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Sorry if I sound condescending here, you are 20 so old enough to get help whatever your mum has said.
Sorry that you feel bad to want to end things but please get yourself some help.
You can get to see the in call mental health team at your local hospital. I know as it's a saturday and hospitals can be busy but please get some help.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Alex_B ,

Your getting some great advice from folk who care.

Is there someone in the family or a friend you could talk to, even if it's just about your mum's comments..?

Reactions: Spencer67

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Alex I know you're in a bad place but please take on board the advice given, making a snap decision now when you're struggling is not the answer - try and take some deep breaths and find some inner courage to call the Samaritans and talk through your feelings, members here care about you, you can come through this however you need to ask for help.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Alex_B I'm sorry you are being treated badly by your mum. I hope she apologises.
In her defence maybe she is feeling the same and is verbally thinking the solution would have been not to have caused your diabetes. She hasn't caused your diabetes nor the fact it is running wild at the moment.
No one has.
You like many posters are fighting a very unruly disease at times which if it's given a chance will ruin your relationships.
What we are finding that the best way to stop that is by using insulin and techniques to keep it under the best control possible.
I know your fed up of insulin especially since it isn't doing everything to fix this problem. It has disappointed you.

What is happening for me is since I've taken the right amount I'm getting my good health back.
Insulin isn't your enemy. Not been given the support to make good changes to it when you need it the most, is.

You are an intelligent 20yr old and in fact I admire you for being so honest in your post.
Your mum knows how intelligent you are and that diabetes is the fly in the ointment. She doesn't want diabetes for you either.
Believe you me if your mum hated you and didn't want you in her life she wouldnt get involved with your diabetes medication.
You know you'll be surprised how many 20yr olds have health problems which are lurking in their genes dormant.
You have yours earlier so you can be an expert to advise others in later life, if you like. A few samaritans have diabetes too. Maybe you we're unfortunate to get a listener who has no idea about diabetes?

I'm going to ask you what you would do differently in your life if you didn't have diabetes?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please try / consider 111 and press number 2 to speak to mental health people...

I read that you have problems around eating?

Is this been the case for a while? Have you fears around eating or is it because you feel sick/are sick etc?? Hypo's? Injecting?

I have had problems around eating. (My insudes dont work as they should)... and I know how bad it feels when people try to force you to eat! And I'm over 50:). I can understand all reasoning, I think, for not liking eating. Could you let me know more what the problems you have around eating? Have you been sick when you eat? If you have, has this been regular?

Alex, are you able to eat anything ir is this certain foods that make you feel sick?

Please dont give up. I am glad you have come here and spoken to us... we cant make everything right but we want to help. You arent alone...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Alex_B just checking to see how you are today ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im 20. I have tried samaritans before they didn't help me they made things a lot worse for me.

@Alex_B If you're uncomfortable phoning helplines, there are some organisations that do one-to-one chat. Just another option you might want to consider:

http://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/speak-to-our-team

The site I've linked to above is specifically for Under 25s.

Take care and do post here again when you feel you can. There are many, many friendly, helpful people here who can listen and who care about you.