Relationships

Tunsoffun

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a 21 yr old type 1 I had a girl friend break up with me because of it. Now I have no confidence anymore anyone that I really like I just push away because I keep thinking it's going to happen again. Has this happened to anyone before ? Any tips on how to deal with it.

Reactions: Rezvan97

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dont mind the b.tch... Sorry for harsh language. Yea i had that kinda people, not wanting to "deal" with my probs so they just avoiding me. But i got to know other people who are the most helpful, nicest people i ever met. and they r always ready to help me in all cases. there are people who ll be with u whatever u go thru, so dont give up. (:)

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Sometimes it helps to have advice from experienced old frts like me...smile and be thankful you didn't get stuck with her. It's a good thing when self-serving, emotionally retarded types show their true colours early on. Confidence is not all it's cracked up to be...even confident people get dumped on. The lesson to learn is that what happens next is all that counts. Be yourself and enjoy life, you have a lot ahead of you.

jjielingg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a 21 yr old type 1 I had a girl friend break up with me because of it. Now I have no confidence anymore anyone that I really like I just push away because I keep thinking it's going to happen again. Has this happened to anyone before ? Any tips on how to deal with it.

I used to be so afraid that I wouldn't get a boyfriend since I am a diabetic but after that I understand that if the person rlly loves you the person wouldn't mind abt it & will stay strong with u and be there for you but not leave u !! so don't worry :) u will definitely find the one who truly loves & understands u !

Tyw94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Honestly my friend you are better off without. Its only when you find a partner that embraces it & supports you through the ups & downs that you realise it was worth the wait. Its easier to be on your own than someone you care about blame you for something that is out of your control. Try not to let it bother you, it wont be long & you'll have your mojo back!

mitty6678

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Things will work out, my first boyfriend didnt wanna know about my T1D but finally i have found someone willing to be trained on doing my meds if needed and my hypokit pen. It's taken a lot of ups and downs with different people but if they love you they will bother to be there. Keep looking up x

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dont be disheartened you will find someone who truly loves you warts an all and you will realise wat a sad an shallow person your ex was

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're better off without somebody like that!!
Somebody with so little respect and consideration for you is better off out of your life.
Concentrate on the people who do care and are there for you.
She doesn't sound like a nice girl at all. If she has issues with your diabetes then what else would she have issues with in the future?

Here's to finding somebody else who will love all of you :)

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I often worried about that when I was younger but for some reason it never seemed to make a difference for my girlfriends - having said that the girl friend I met in my 2nd year University - we're still together, have two kids and I've lost count but she has saved my life on more than one occasion when having hypos.
So don;t give up - you want to build a relationship with someone who has your back - I suspect you will find someone and anyone who walks away because your type 1 is pretty shallow and not much of a human being in my opinion!

leahkian

I got diabetes aged 3 in 1979 and am now i am 41. When i was growing diabetes was not as common as it is now but because one person cannot deal with you being a diabetic thats there look out. I have had some strange questions over the years like if i kiss you will i catch diabetes, which i replied no but i will turn into a frog. My first real girlfriend lived in the same village as me so it was a lot easier for me, 2 out of the next 3 were a nurse and a student nurse. The nurse at the time of meeting her was just about to start a diabetic course and she got top marks and the nurse who took the course said she had never had anyone who new so much about diabetes so she had to tell them that i helped her. The teacher said he could be doing my job, now back to you if you meet someone just tell them that you are a diabetic and that you are not hiding it and if she would like to get to no you that you can talk about being a diabetic. Now most people know a diabetic and have a idea of what diabetes is, you might find some girls will use it as an excuse to end of a relationship but if they like you they will embrace it as it is part of who you are. You are still young so do not let it get you down, if you look on this site there are females who have been in the same position as you are. you rule your life not diabetes and if you find a girlfriend who has a single mother i am available for double dates!!