HYPO?

Dodger

Dislikes
Lamb
Hi All, Due to reasons beyond my control, I missed lunch yesterday and mid afternoon was feeling unwell, (shakes,sweats,feeling weak and faint) and was wondering if I was experiencing a hypo coming on.
Now at my DESMOND course they say that as I'm only on Metformin, I can't experience a hypo.
when I got home I tested and my BG was 4.8 so it should be that I was not experiencing a hypo, after having food and meds about a hour and half I was feeling better.
What I'm asking is it possible to experience the beginnings of a hypo at 4.8 and also is it impossible to have a hypo when only on Metformin as this was a most unpleasant time, I know it was mainly my fault and will endeavour to keep a supply of nutri bars or similar with me at all times for emergencies (when missing meals) and I will keep a spare meter in the car as well.

Your comments and experiences will be gratefully received. :oops:

Dodger

Dislikes
Lamb
Hi Nellie, thanks for that, that link really explains well, although with my pure autonomic failure, my fight and flight response doesn't work, my heartbeat stays at 60 bpm no matter what i do, my piturity gland, thyroid, adrenal and other functions do not respond as they should.
I was just concerned as I got these feelings and being unwell. but the site you linked explains very well and I think this should be more widely distributed to Type 2's.
Thanks.

sofaraway

also to remember that people with out diabetes expereince low blood sugars when tney haven't eatne for a long time, or skipped meals. my other half has tested as low as 3.4 when not eaten for ages and felt quite unwell. the difference is, not being on insulin or meds that cause extra insulin production the blood sugar isn't going to keep dropping to dangerous levels

The Governor

I hit 3.7 yesterday. I'd eaten lunhc as normal but was knackered. Other than that I didn't feel too bad, but clearly can't go 6 hours without eating!

Type 2's don't have hypos? Pffft :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I can sometimes go down to 3.5 without feeling ill, because I often run quite low. On other occasions, I have felt "wobbly at 4.5. I read somewhere that it's the dropping you feel rather than the actual level. My friend with reactive hypoglycaemia has been known to drop to 2.9 without ANY medication.

The Governor

fasteddie said:
Gov

I am amazed as a type two you can go so low. What did you have for lunch, a glass of water and 50 grams of balsa wood. :mrgreen:

Regards Eddie

:mrgreen: I dunno mate, had my usual 20 ish (just below) carbs, but normally I get to eat around 5 to 5:30. I think I may need to make sure I eat every 2 and a half hours, just trial and error.

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
Hi
I get sweats shakes etc when my blood sugar drops very quickly - normally after a night out.
About 10/11 the next day it drops like a stone.
I find the rapid change makes me feel a lot worse than the low level

cheers

coco

Hi, I was on metformin for 18 months before I went onto insulin and in that time i had three hypos whilst on the metformin.I went as low as 3.1.The diabetic nurse said you can go low on metformin especially if you lose a lot of weight .