Type 1 car insurance quotes.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
When getting quotes online from the likes of GoCompare and MoneySupermarket do you get provided with a full list of quotes or do many of the insurance companies require you to call them by phone to complete the quote as you have stated you are a type 1 diabetic?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When getting quotes online from the likes of GoCompare and MoneySupermarket do you get provided with a full list of quotes or do many of the insurance companies require you to call them by phone to complete the quote as you have stated you are a type 1 diabetic?
It's impossible to say unless you know the number of insurance companies that comprise a "full list" to start with.

What you could do is run a quote leaving the "any DVLA reported medical conditions or disabilities" option as no; then count the amount of insurance providers willing to offer cover. Then you can compare that amount against whatever number you get when you run your actual quote, where you highlight that you have T1D and a restricted licence.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I seem to remember, a few years back, I was looking for a quote and used Go Compare. As soon as I told them I had diabetes, a message came up telling me they could not give quotes, and I would have to speak to the companies directly.

Al hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi it's never been a problem with me we just get a 3 year licence then renew to see if it's got worse or not .

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I seem to remember, a few years back, I was looking for a quote and used Go Compare. As soon as I told them I had diabetes, a message came up telling me they could not give quotes, and I would have to speak to the companies directly.
This is what worries me. If you have to phone the insurance company to complete an online quote it will be more expensive than if the quote was completed 100% online - you will also not receive any cashback from the likes of Quidco.
The word discrimination comes to mind.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I suspect some insurance companies will accept a T1 declaration on line but have not tried it. Yes, medical conditions are a nuisance for insurance including travel insurance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I've used the price comparison websites before and never had to ring a insurance provider, you declare in the application that you have a 3 year restricted licence and that is all they want to know, having type 1 diabetes does not mean an increase in insurance premiums.

Reactions: jazzyone

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used the price comparison websites before and never had to ring a insurance provider, you declare in the application that you have a 3 year restricted licence and that is all they want to know, having type 1 diabetes does not mean an increase in insurance premiums.
Likewise @noblehead, never had an issue with comparison sites wrt diabetes and insurance cover.

I did get a phone call from Bennetts when I insured my motorbike though, but that was just to clarify what type of diabetes I had and how many units of insulin I was on. It's the only time I've had that though, but it never made any difference to my premium or eligibility for cover:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Likewise @noblehead, never had an issue with comparison sites wrt diabetes and insurance cover.

I did get a phone call from Bennetts when I insured my motorbike though, but that was just to clarify what type of diabetes I had and how many units of insulin I was on. It's the only time I've had that though, but it never made any difference to my premium or eligibility for cover:)

Wonder why they wanted to know how many units of insulin you were on Grant? Sure I was insured with Bennetts many moon ago when I was a biker :)

I'm currently insured with the AA for my car, the on-line application didn't ask why my licence was restricted.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wonder why they wanted to know how many units of insulin you were on Grant? Sure I was insured with Bennetts many moon ago when I was a biker :)

I'm currently insured with the AA for my car, the on-line application didn't ask why my licence was restricted.
I really don't know Nigel, nor can I understand why my dose would concern them. They must have some reason to ask, but I cannot for the life of me work out why... They had amounts broken down into categories, <10, 10-20, 20-30, etc. They were very confused when I asked them if they wanted basal, bolus or TDD though;)

Get back on the bike. We're starting to get the weather for it:)

Reactions: noblehead

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hastings Direct have bumped my policy (for the car) up by a hundred quid this year, but if I propose a new policy through Go Compare they are the same price I paid last year.

Through Go Compare, other insurers are offering £200 less than my renewal quote - I don't know if it's a 'full' list but they do show you at the bottom of the page which insurers they were unable to obtain a quote from.

Looks like I might be changing insurer soon !

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hastings Direct have bumped my policy (for the car) up by a hundred quid this year, but if I propose a new policy through Go Compare they are the same price I paid last year.

Through Go Compare, other insurers are offering £200 less than my renewal quote
I saw something similar the other week when renewing my car. Although it didn't clearly say on the initial listing's page, most of the cheaper policies had a £350 compulsory excess on top of the voluntary excess I had selected. I thought it was a bit sneaky, or maybe I'm just clumsy at navigating the comparison sites:)

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but it may be worth having a good read through before commiting to anything @urbanracer.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@urbanracer - Hastings Direct was the reason I asked the question. They have been slowly upping the price over the last couple of years but this year's renewal was £150 more than last year's!
So I've been on the comparison sites and as others have said did not experience any issues after advising I had a 3 year restricted license. There's was quite a list of companies that would not quote but plenty who did including Hastings at nearly £250 less than their renewal quote!!!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I am aware, none of the price comparison websites ask or need to know if you have T1D, the only relevance of having T1D is in disclosing that you have a 3-year restricted licence....

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's too bad the sort of discriminate there. They don't issue restricted licenses here for diabetics. It's good they don't bump your insurance rates though. I wonder if there are rate comparison sites here in the US. I bit on one on my phone recently and it turned out to be a pimp site for Geiko. Fake news.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Through Go Compare, other insurers are offering £200 less than my renewal quote - I don't know if it's a 'full' list but they do show you at the bottom of the page which insurers they were unable to obtain a quote from.

Looks like I might be changing insurer soon !
@urbanracer - Hastings Direct was the reason I asked the question. They have been slowly upping the price over the last couple of years but this year's renewal was £150 more than last year's!
So I've been on the comparison sites and as others have said did not experience any issues after advising I had a 3 year restricted license. There's was quite a list of companies that would not quote but plenty who did including Hastings at nearly £250 less than their renewal quote!!!

Guys - Premiums going up at renewal is absolutely nothing to do with diabetes. It's because the insured is no longer eligible for a new customer discount.

Curiously enough, I have just been doing the research on a renewal for one of our cars today. The renewal with the same company was double the cost. Needless to say, I will be moving my business.

New customer discounts are extremely common on most general (as opposed to life) insurance products. Companies hope the customer remembers how they such great value a year ago........

Some companies will price match if you call them and state a preference to stay with them. Others just shrug their invisible shoulders and close the door behind us as we go, making room for someone else.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
This is what worries me. If you have to phone the insurance company to complete an online quote it will be more expensive than if the quote was completed 100% online - you will also not receive any cashback from the likes of Quidco.
The word discrimination comes to mind.
as far as I am concerned that is wrong
I have pretty cheap comprehensive cover considering I have been type 1 for 44 years
most all of my cars have been either Vectra's or insignia's ( and now an astra ) but I have never paid more than £280 a year for fully comp insurance ( current year £22.34 per month )

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys - Premiums going up at renewal is absolutely nothing to do with diabetes. It's because the insured is no longer eligible for a new customer discount.
I never heard of insurance company doing a new customer discount like Direct TV of Dish. But it makes sense because most people (like me) just pay the bill and never shop for a better rate. We've been with the same auto insurance company for 20 years, homeowner's same company. But the existing customer won't get the new customer's rate which seems to me to be kind of shabby.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a named driver on my better halfs isnurance and when advised the insurance company of my T1 diabetes, completed all the relavent info and they adjusted the premium by 28 pence!!! - money grabbers!!! my only satisfaction was that it costed them much more to for the envelope, postage stamp and revised document to be issued!! ha ha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

I have recently become T1 and I'm insured with Direct Line (have been for 7 years since passing my test). My renewal is upon me so I have looked on the various comparison sites and effectively not many people will insure me for under £1000. I have even downgraded my car since getting diagnosed as I will most likely be driving less, however Direct Line do not take a 3 year restricted license into consideration, it doesn't affect the premium at all. I would highly recommend them.

Thanks,
Ryan