Diabetes and Heat

WarDoctor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Inconsiderateness
I know when it's warm people feel the heat.
However I am interested to know if anyone else finds being diabetic makes them feel hotter than you would expect?

D

Deleted member 308541

I do not know about the heat, but the colder weather gets to me more.

Edit: Inserted the word "know".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WarDoctor

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm getting some weird bg results on Toujeo300 and novarapid.
Like novarapid not working and basal thinking about it.

I might need to by a cooler wallet afterall.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi wardoctor and welcome to the forum yes pretty sure it does I'm on insulin and today ive been sweating sat in front of a fan and have had 2hypos in the space of the afternoon so I'm sure it does effect it ?

WarDoctor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Inconsiderateness
Hi wardoctor and welcome to the forum yes pretty sure it does I'm on insulin and today ive been sweating sat in front of a fan and have had 2hypos in the space of the afternoon so I'm sure it does effect it ?
Sorry to hear you had a couple of hypo's. On top of being hot that must be a freaky experience having hypo's too.

WarDoctor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Inconsiderateness
Thanks everyone for your replies. It's comforting knowing one is not on their own in things. Sometimes I think our physical health like diabetes drives us more potty than a mental health problem!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When I have lows I can tolerate the heat more. When I'm higher than 7.8mmol/l I suffer with thrush and hot insides. My body feels like a radiator at mo.
Only a/c would rectify. Down south I used to run it in the summer but my bungalow not as hot as the boat house conversion.
If the north-east warmed up more due to global warming I'll reinvest in a new one. Very comfortable experience with it. Especially when I was pregnant.
Pre a/c unit and 1st pregnancy I used to hug frozen 2ltr bottles of water in a teatowel between legs and nod off to sleep.
Maybe that participated in becoming fertile with metformin after 10yrs+ of infertility?
My body temperature was out, maybe.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Thanks wardoctor for reply much appreciated just a quick update just done blood sugar test again down to 3.7 so edge of hypo again for 3rd time looks like another sleepless night flipping hot weather.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However I am interested to know if anyone else finds being diabetic makes them feel hotter than you would expect?

Yes the hot weather has a notable impact on my BG. Though I am not sure it isn't related to de-hydration to.
I find the running at normal BG is 1mmol at least higher than when it is cooler. I find that food spikes less. Really hard work to get below 6.8 when normally after the two hour mark I am sailing towards 6 and less than 6 in three hours.

It doesn't seem to be the sun so much as humid - so as I sit here this evening BG still at 6.4 even though I ate some 4 hours ago.

Not that I would wish for low BG either - but I wish mine went down in the summer rather than up.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I tend to have a threshold temperature, above which my insulin sensitivity increases. That's around 25C. This weekend, I've been significantly more sensitive whilst being at home in temperatures that rarely fell below 27.

When in the office, I fall back to normal levels thanks to A/C.

One of the benefits of OpenAPS is that it measures ISF at point in time and adjusts accordingly, which means you can see the changes.

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
I am definitely more insulin sensitive, i have reduced my background and am able to eat 20g carbs without spiking or needing to bolus. Means I haven't felt guilty having the odd ice cream!

Reactions: ickihun

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome!

I don't cope with the heat very well. Never have... but then I've had glucose intolerance and wangy blood glucose for a long time too, so can't compare before and after... I do know that I would choose holidaying in the fjords over a safari, any day!