Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.7 this morning. Not that high for a long time. But - BBQ yesterday evening at some friends and I don't think that the farm sausages were 100% meat after all. Does anyone else BG shoot up through red wine? Something there made mine peek at 8.9 which for me since I started LCHF is really really high.
Did you have any sauces or marinade, sometime they have sugar in them?:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
5.7 this morning. Not that high for a long time. But - BBQ yesterday evening at some friends and I don't think that the farm sausages were 100% meat after all. Does anyone else BG shoot up through red wine? Something there made mine peek at 8.9 which for me since I started LCHF is really really high.
I think red wine spikes me but haven't drank alcohol for yrs. White wine definitely did.
Some have great success with red wine lowering there fbg but I'm not sure how much food alongside, if any and how much wine?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
5.6 this morning after a very unpleasant night. I just cannot cope with these high temperatures, very little sleep had to take pain killers at three in the morning bruises on arm started bleeding don't know why and tinnitus was so intense made my head hurt. Hope it cools down soon just a little.

Reactions: bigjim19 and Tim55

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Wear a hat honey, sunstroke no joke:meh:
2 hats for me dear - flat cap for driving and straw hat for for wandering around the field. You're right about sunstroke, and I think diabetics are more prone to it.

Reactions: GeoffersTaylor

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
I have opened a new pot of strips today mate, try for the fasting fives before I get them in the morning. :D

I think I've seen the fives pass me bye for a few weeks hopefully they're like boomerangs and come back again

Reactions: james11

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Does anyone else BG shoot up through red wine?
On the contrary, I can expect an appreciable drop in FBG following a convivial evening. I rather suspect your sausages were the more likely cuplrit.

On the bright side, I think more research is needed into the effects of red wine! ;):hungry:

Reactions: JanetMcDowell

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibilities include overdoing the carnivore thing, sauces or sausages made out of dust - increase wine :):)

Reactions: JanetMcDowell

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Might be a silly question!!

I can see a few of these threads each day populated by many people and it is clear from the forum we have diverse people with diverse results.

What I am still not sure of myself is what I am aiming for in terms of my on FBG reading.

I am T2 newly diagnosed and range from mid 4's to early 5's (probably more in the 5's than 4's unless red wine involved). no real change in 2 months with around just over 2 stone weight loss.

Am I after 4's all the time or are early 5's ok/normal as per the NICE guidelines say they are?

I am assuming everyone has their own goal, just interested in knowing if this too is as diverse for everyone or are we all wanting a "golden number" and if so what is that? or is the target the NICE guidelines or those agreed with your DN?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Looseboy NHS gudelines are that T2s should have fbgs of 4-7. I average 6.3, rarely lower than 5.3 or higher than 6.5.
I am happy with that, I could possibly get lower fbgs if I consumed even less carbs. I was getting fbgs mainly in the 4s and 5s when I ate mainly just soup when I was on holiday for 4 weeks.
Our bodies are all different and react differently. Some achieve 4s and 5s regularly and I do envy them a bit, but I'm ok with my fbgs.

Reactions: bigjim19

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Might be a silly question!!

I can see a few of these threads each day populated by many people and it is clear from the forum we have diverse people with diverse results.

What I am still not sure of myself is what I am aiming for in terms of my on FBG reading.

I am T2 newly diagnosed and range from mid 4's to early 5's (probably more in the 5's than 4's unless red wine involved). no real change in 2 months with around just over 2 stone weight loss.

Am I after 4's all the time or are early 5's ok/normal as per the NICE guidelines say they are?

I am assuming everyone has their own goal, just interested in knowing if this too is as diverse for everyone or are we all wanting a "golden number" and if so what is that? or is the target the NICE guidelines or those agreed with your DN?

Hi. these waking levels are not necessarily the best indicators of your average level; they are seldom my lowest. I think that the "number" you are "happy" with depends largely on whether or not you are on medication or are just getting normal range levels on diet alone. I presume that you are on meds...otherwise your numbers aren't just good; they are non-diabetic. There's ideal..and there's reality. I am happy if I am under 7mmols all day (but I don't take meds); if I am being strict with my low carb diet, my level will stay between 5 and 6.5.

Last edited: