Any one else have a GP like this?

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night for no apparent reason I started dropping got to the stage of eating 100g of carbs and still dropping. 1.9 called 999 as live alone and couldn't really move (too busy so would be an hour) so called a friend and after 3 hours was sorted.

Rang my GP today to say despite them not wanting to prescribe Glucagen Hypokit I really needed one I would even pay privately. She argued a bit and then asked "Okay have you ever had a hypo before though"

Surely everyone has had a hypo, right? right?

Reactions: spook_kate_

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night for no apparent reason I started dropping got to the stage of eating 100g of carbs and still dropping. 1.9 called 999 as live alone and couldn't really move (too busy so would be an hour) so called a friend and after 3 hours was sorted.

Rang my GP today to say despite them not wanting to prescribe Glucagen Hypokit I really needed one I would even pay privately. She argued a bit and then asked "Okay have you ever had a hypo before though"

Can I ask what dose you had taken prior to the huge drop and what the 100g carbs consisted of?

You should have a Glucagen hypokit on your prescription by default, I would have thought that was almost mandatory. Although you shouldn't have to fight for one, you should tell your GP that he/she HAS to provide you with one.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should have a Glucagen hypokit on your prescription by default, I would have thought that was almost mandatory.

Is it? I've never been prescribed with anything like that or knew I needed one.

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask what dose you had taken prior to the huge drop and what the 100g carbs consisted of?

You should have a Glucagen hypokit on your prescription by default, I would have thought that was almost mandatory. Although you shouldn't have to fight for one, you should tell your GP that he/she HAS to provide you with one.

I had taken 10u for dinner 4 hours previously, as per ratio this was correct. 100g was in lucozade, bananas, and the jordans frusil bars.
I was not allowed a hypokit after the cut down on medications recently. I was told by my GP that there is no need as I can look after myself.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't say whether it is or isn't mandatory to prescribe these hypokits to T1's; but it was added to my prescription on diagnosis. It definitely makes sense though as they keep in your fridge for around 18 months I think.

It does make good sense to have one at home, given that using one is the first step that a paramedic will carry out with a non responsive hypoglycemic diabetic. It can buy some vital time until the Ambulance arrives; if things are heading that far South.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had taken 10u for dinner 4 hours previously, as per ratio this was correct. 100g was in lucozade, bananas, and the jordans frusil bars.
I was not allowed a hypokit after the cut down on medications recently. I was told by my GP that there is no need as I can look after myself.
That's a big drop, considering those carbs never raised you any... I hope you find out why it happened as to avoid it happening again; it's very scary and I do hope you're alright.

I'd still chase this up with your GP though - now you have evidence to suggest that even though you can "look after yourself" these things still can happen.

Hypokits are intended to be used by a third party, but if I'd consumed that much carbs and I was still plummeting as low as you; I'd probably be using one on myself (if conscious).

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also having trouble getting glucagon prescribed. I had to push quite hard to get access to it with request 1 & 2 declined, letter from DSN ignored and letter 2 from DSN resulting in 1 vial of hypostop. No repeat prescription.

Good job when I was unconscious hypo last month my parents just called the ambulance and didn't attempt glucagon. I hadn't even told them what it was because it's my only one I don't really want to be carting it out of the fridge to show them. Which is a shame because I could really do with leaving one in work, where I have also had ambulance attendances to give me glucagon while having a nice lie down on the floor.

GP resistance to prescribing glucagon for me has always been explained previously on the basis that I live alone, so who's going to administer it?

I have been summoned for a prescription review next week and, well, I'm not cured, so getting glucagon on my repeat seems like the only thing to be discussed at the review. Any tips on getting glucagon added to the repeat, are there any guidelines etc that would support this?

D

Deleted Account

My "Glucogen hypokit" do you mean the Orange Box with a big syringe in it?

If so, this is no use for you if you live alone as it is only used (by someone else) when you are unresponsive.
I used to have this but do not bother any more as it was always going out of date. The only time my hypo was so bad, I was unresponsive, an ambulance was called.

I know some people keep glucogel packs which are available from sports stores. These are supposed to raise a low hypo quite quickly... and was what was provided by the ambulance crew. They don't taste very nice so you are only likely to use them in an emergency.

I agree with @GrantGam that it is worthwhile trying to understand why your recent hypo happened ... although there are times when the reasons are far from obvious.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had it on repeat since diagnosis. Thankfully never needed it but this thread has reminded me that my current one is probably now expired. @catapillar, that sounds ridiculous given your hypo history. Can you not just tell them that, whilst you don't live with anyone, you've briefed somebody at work and would like one for there?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also having trouble getting glucagon prescribed. I had to push quite hard to get access to it with request 1 & 2 declined, letter from DSN ignored and letter 2 from DSN resulting in 1 vial of hypostop. No repeat prescription.

Good job when I was unconscious hypo last month my parents just called the ambulance and didn't attempt glucagon. I hadn't even told them what it was because it's my only one I don't really want to be carting it out of the fridge to show them. Which is a shame because I could really do with leaving one in work, where I have also had ambulance attendances to give me glucagon while having a nice lie down on the floor.

GP resistance to prescribing glucagon for me has always been explained previously on the basis that I live alone, so who's going to administer it?

I have been summoned for a prescription review next week and, well, I'm not cured, so getting glucagon on my repeat seems like the only thing to be discussed at the review. Any tips on getting glucagon added to the repeat, are there any guidelines etc that would support this?
I'm quite shocked by this @catapillar! Given the fact that you have no hypo awareness and (not to be cheeky by the way) fairly frequent and disabling bouts of hypoglycemia; I find it shocking that your initial requests for a hypokit on prescription was denied...

Although the Glucagen hypokit says to store between 2-8degC, it also says that it can be stored <25degC for 18 months as well. As such, I take one to work with me. Because of that, you can easily take it out of the fridge and spend as long as you like explaining to your parents how to use it. I think...

Last edited:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glucagon kits here are not refrigerated because they consist of a vial of glucagon (powder), a vial of liquid (to inject into the power vial then you mix it) and a syringe (do draw the dissolved mixture up into) to inject it intramuscularly with. But as noted it's worthless if you are alone and out of it. If you're not out of it you can much more easily just drink some apple juice if you're low you're not going to be screwing around with needles and vials. Here the kits come in a red box and cost around $100. My sife has saved me more than one paramedics visit using them. And here paramedics don't carry them, they set an IV and use D50 which works a lot faster. Then one problem with glucagon is it can take 5-10 minutes to work which is pretty stressful if you're watching a person have a seizure or something.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
I too didn't know that I needed one, but it does makes sense, can't be too careful will investigate.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask your GP to prescribe Glucogel - single doses of 15g or 35g of carbohydrate.

It's the fastest acting ingestible carbohydrate. Tastes great if you're low, otherwise unappetising.

Really useful to keep by the bed in case you go low.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Glucagon is good if you have someone to give it to you. Otherwise not so useful. It got taken off my prescription at one point and when I asked to have it back on I was asked if I was having bad hypos. My answer was not at the moment but given I've had comas and an ambulance won't come faster than 20 mins round here I need one for my health and my husband's peace of mind. I got it put back on. Were you exercising just before the hypo? I've had a couple during zumba caught around 3.5 where it doesn't come up for about an hour which is worrying. Maybe the heat could also have affected it?

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1

OF COURSE a T1 has had hypos before, provided he/she has been living with the condition for more than a few months! Good grief, what a nyncompoop that GP is!

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My consultant told me theyre only usually prescribed for children and pregnant ladies...most diabetecs should know the warning signs way before and if they weren't recognising a hypo they should seek advice as possible medication change may be needed...also driving license is in danger of being revoked if unaware of hypo situation. ..just saying

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

hi there @rorshach
I would be interested to know where in the sequence of events on Monday evening you took your background insulin dose ( if indeed you take it in the evening )
are you taking Lantus ??

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My consultant told me theyre only usually prescribed for children and pregnant ladies...most diabetecs should know the warning signs way before and if they weren't recognising a hypo they should seek advice as possible medication change may be needed...also driving license is in danger of being revoked if unaware of hypo situation. ..just saying
Yeah well your consultant probably still believes in the Tooth Fairy too. Children and pregnant ladies and not adults like us. Yeah that makes sense, I get it now (rolls eyes).

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha h
[QUOProbablyheBigNewt, post: 1492167, member: 380756"]Yeah well your consultant probably still believes in the Tooth Fairy too. Children and pregnant ladies and not adults like us. Yeah that makes sense, I get it now (rolls eyes).[/QUOTE]
Ha ha ...probably. ..i dont think any of the so called professional health care providers can agree on any thing..they all have different approaches and ideas..so just pot luck who's your professional

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When you get a good one, keep tight hold of them? Worth their weight in gold!
I had a good one in the south-east and now have a good one in the north-east.
I think I've been lucky!