FOOD WITHOUT INSULIN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
I have for the past three days I have not had food insulin as I have been finding my glucose levels were getting too low in the day, what I don't understand is my levels go up after food with out the insulin and slowly my blood levels go down, I always have the night insulin at 10pm, can anyone explain why and where is this sugar going if not in my blood?

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SHROPSHIRE_LADY ,

How low are you going during the day..? How frequent these occurances?
Sounds like your long acting insulin dose is set too high?

But it's only a guess.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
Hi @SHROPSHIRE_LADY ,

How low are you going during the day..? How frequent these occurances?
Sounds like your long acting insulin dose is set too high?

But it's only a guess.
It depends what I'm doing I am pretty active I don't have morning insulin at all and haven't for a while I wake up with 5.2 or there abouts but if I have breakfast early or am extra busy my reading's vary from 3.4 to 4.2 by midday.
This is withut insulin, but last week my readings went down to 2.4 twice in one day morning and afternoon, on this day I only had insulin at lunchtime 5 units I have my main meal at lunchtime. My night insulin is 8 units 10pm. If I am okay with my food in-take in the day with out insulin I need to know why as I am told by my doctor I have no beta cells what so ever I am type 1, My understanding of insulin is, it sorts out your sugar from your food and sends it around the body as required but without insulin where is this sugar going if my readings are going down in my blood?

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How recently have you been diagnosed T1.?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's fairly unusual for even type 1 diabetics to have no beta cells what so ever and this is something that could only be determined by a sensitive cpeptide test. Most type 1s will continue with beta cells doing something (a totally useless something) for a suprisingly long time. Have you had a cpeptide test?

The information on your profile page says you are 72 and diagnosed only 8 months ago. You are probably honeymooning. When a type 1 diabetic is diagnosed they will usually have some residual insulin production, the period while you have some endogenous insulin is known as the honeymoon period. The honeymoon period is usually longer and stronger in people diagnosed later on in life.

The other thing to consider is whether your basal insulin is set too high. Lantus lasts about 18 hours, so even though you take it at night it will still be doing something during the day, if it's set too high it might be dealing with your food. Basal is supposed to keep you flat when not eating or bolusing.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
So my lantus I take at night could be too high, given my readings are 4.7,5.7,5.9 for three mornings I thought that was about right, the honeymoon period I was told would be over and only lasted a few weeks again told by my doctor there was nothing to suggest I was anything but a type 1 although he was surprised at my low insulin in-take in the day. should I ask to see someone about this, I am afraid of continuing with the day time no-insulin as it might be dangerous for me. Although I feel fine loads of energy. I did have the cpeptide test.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your currently being managed by your GP (defining how long the honeymoon period lasts is a how long is the bit of string kind of question, anyone who thinks they can definitively answer a few weeks to apply to every attention is talking nonsense) ask for a referral to an endo. As a newly diagnosed type 1 you should really be able to still be in close contact with your DSN for dosing advice, you should definitely discuss the reduced bolus and the hypos with your DSN.

Yes morning readings can help give an indication of whether your basal is dosed right, but not the full picture. Basal is supposed to keep you flat when not eating or bolusing, so it's more about think how much did you move over night. As your dropping during the day you might want to think about doing some day time basal tests - https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
If your currently being managed by your GP (defining how long the honeymoon period lasts is a how long is the bit of string kind of question, anyone who thinks they can definitively answer a few weeks to apply to every attention is talking nonsense) ask for a referral to an endo. As a newly diagnosed type 1 you should really be able to still be in close contact with your DSN for dosing advice, you should definitely discuss the reduced bolus and the hypos with your DSN.

Yes morning readings can help give an indication of whether your basal is dosed right, but not the full picture. Basal is supposed to keep you flat when not eating or bolusing, so it's more about think how much did you move over night. As your dropping during the day you might want to think about doing some day time basal tests - https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/
Thank you for the advice, it's called learning I suppose it all makes sense will take your advice and do the basal test.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you for the advice, it's called learning I suppose it all makes sense will take your advice and do the basal test.

Hi, nice to meet you, I am still learning after 28 years.