Transitioning from Dexcom app to Xdrip+

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning knowledgeable folks,

I've been using a Dexcom G5 for about 3 months now and my transmitter is about to pack in. I know I should be able to stretch it out a few more days using Xdrip+ and I also plan on replacing the transmitter battery and using Xdrip+ with the hacked transmitter.

What I can't figure out is what's the best way to transition from the official Dexcom app to Xdrip+?

I've got both installed on my phone right now but of course the Dexcom app is paired to the transmitter and the Xdrip+ app can't see the transmitter. Do I need to uninstall the Dexcom app or is it enough to unpair the transmitter from my phone and re-pair it using Xdrip+?

This is probably really obvious and I'm being dense so thanks in advance for your patience!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Good morning knowledgeable folks,

I've been using a Dexcom G5 for about 3 months now and my transmitter is about to pack in. I know I should be able to stretch it out a few more days using Xdrip+ and I also plan on replacing the transmitter battery and using Xdrip+ with the hacked transmitter.

What I can't figure out is what's the best way to transition from the official Dexcom app to Xdrip+?

I've got both installed on my phone right now but of course the Dexcom app is paired to the transmitter and the Xdrip+ app can't see the transmitter. Do I need to uninstall the Dexcom app or is it enough to unpair the transmitter from my phone and re-pair it using Xdrip+?

This is probably really obvious and I'm being dense so thanks in advance for your patience!
I'm assuming that you're using the Dexcom app on Android? First up, I'd suggest trying to set up a new transmitter (use a random transmitter code in the Dexcom app that has an ID like 40XYZR) so it forgets the old one, then try pairing with xDrip+. If that doesn't work then unpair the transmitter from the phone and reconnect it using xDrip+. Finally, if that doesn't work then uninstall the Dexcom app.

You should get an extra 30-40 days from the transmitter with xDrip+.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Tim, I am indeed using the Android app on my LG G4.

I knew you'd be able to answer my query, thanks very much!

I'll let you know how I get on.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally got it all set up and working!

I told the Dexcom app to pair to a new made-up transmitter ID then uninstalled it. I was then able to get it to pair eventually in Xdrip+ but I have to have "Close GATT on BLE disconnect" checked otherwise it just constantly seems to disconnect.

My transmitter voltage is 216mV, is that a pretty good voltage still? I can't remember what the cut off is...

Thanks for your help @tim2000s

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Finally got it all set up and working!

I told the Dexcom app to pair to a new made-up transmitter ID then uninstalled it. I was then able to get it to pair eventually in Xdrip+ but I have to have "Close GATT on BLE disconnect" checked otherwise it just constantly seems to disconnect.

My transmitter voltage is 216mV, is that a pretty good voltage still? I can't remember what the cut off is...

Thanks for your help @tim2000s
You need to check Va and Vb. Once Va is below 260, failure is imminent. Once it drops below 310, you are into the last 4-5 weeks of life, roughly.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah brilliant, Va is 315mV and Vb is 307 so there's life in the transmitter yet despite what the Dexcom app says!

Thanks very much for your help!

Reactions: tim2000s