Heat/hypo warning..

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine were always high in the heat till I started the LCHF. I presumed it would be the same this year. Big mistake. I had 4 hypos on holiday in Lanzarote the first fortnight in June, and 3 near misses!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Of course by the time we've all managed to trim out our I:C ratios and Basal rates, got everything back on an even keel the weather will change!

(as always) Stay safe out there everyone.

Reactions: Juicyj

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This advice is good for t2 insulin users too, the only problem being unlike t1's we usually have restricted strip use, my Dr complains when I use more than 5 strips a day, though I am seeing him later and will again be reminding him that as an insulin user I should be treated like a t1 and not have my strips restricted.........doubt it will make any difference though, I feel I'm banging my head against a brick wall.........:banghead:

New2T1D

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Things that are unfair.
I was just gonna put the same post on lol mine is all over the place too right now staying around the 3.2 mark :depressed::wideyed: be careful around the heat cause i know i will be :cat:
Isn't 3.2 too low? I was told to treat anything from 3.9 or lower.

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SELFISHNESS AND GREEDY PEOPLE :)
I also have MS......the heat really makes me like a zombi! I can't do anything except sit by a fan☹️ I can't wait to get back in the garden

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The same here. Was way higher than usual, so took a correction dose and almost hypoed 30 mins ago. Dexcom a great help.

Shinealight

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone having trouble getting low blood sugars up in the heat? For the last three nights my (5 year old) daughter is having hypos after bedtime and they are dropping rather than rising with the usual amount of gluco tabs. Tonight I reduced her novorapid by 1 u but she was still low (but not as low) and still dropped after treatment. Am needing to repeat treatment several times. We live in Spain and it's hot at night but nothing like the daytime when she is faring ok.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Had a mental one yesterday. Cycled home from work having had zero TBR running for an hour before and throughout the ride (30mins), got home and dropped off a cliff. Then had to eat 80g carbs to cope with a 2u bolus with dinner. Nutty stuff.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Anyone having trouble getting low blood sugars up in the heat? For the last three nights my (5 year old) daughter is having hypos after bedtime and they are dropping rather than rising with the usual amount of gluco tabs. Tonight I reduced her novorapid by 1 u but she was still low (but not as low) and still dropped after treatment. Am needing to repeat treatment several times. We live in Spain and it's hot at night but nothing like the daytime when she is faring ok.

Hey there - are you giving her some carbs as well as glucose ? If it happens again wait for the glucose to kick in first but then follow up with 10g of carb too if your not already, also don't give her the novorapid either if she's low that's not going to help in bringing the levels up, the carbs will keep her levels up, so that's why it's important to follow up with 10g carbs once the glucose has bought her up above 4 mmol/l.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Went to bed on 7.4, but still took one less unit of Levemir and woke up on 2.6, just bonkers at the moment and another blistering day ahead !

Last edited:

Shinealight

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there - are you giving her some carbs as well as glucose ? If it happens again wait for the glucose to kick in first but then follow up with 10g of carb too if your not already, also don't give her the novorapid either if she's low that's not going to help in bringing the levels up, the carbs will keep her levels up, so that's why it's important to follow up with 10g carbs once the glucose has bought her up above 4 mmol/l.
Hey Juicyj, thank you for replying. Sorry I didn't explain very well, the novorapid is only at meals and if her blood sugar is over a certain level (definitely not when she's low). Always following up with 10g carbs but for 3 nights in a row it's been a struggle to get the levels up over 4mmol after giving glucose tabs. Last night she was low, gave her 2 glucose tabs after 20 minutes she had dropped further, ditched the tabs and gave her 100mg orange juice which brought her up a little bit but not over 4mmol. Gave her another 100mg orange juice which brought her to around 5mmol and followed by a 10mg carbs. This morning she was high ahhh. I used to always use orange juice but was told that it tends to make the blood sugar keep rising and not plateau as do gluco tabs but sometimes it seems like it can 'unstick' a low better than gluco tabs.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first summer with diabetes, thanks for warning ! Did not know heat can mess with BS too... Todays need to be extra careful, 35 degrees here. :banghead::bigtears: Hope everyones doing well ! (:)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Shinealight - to be honest I thought there would be more to it than what you'd previously said, you've done exactly what needs to be done, which is test every 15-20 mins, if still low then re-treat, then follow up with 10g of carbs.

Just a thought here - what did she eat for tea ?

Shinealight

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Shinealight - to be honest I thought there would be more to it than what you'd previously said, you've done exactly what needs to be done, which is test every 15-20 mins, if still low then re-treat, then follow up with 10g of carbs.

Just a thought here - what did she eat for tea ?
Thank you that's reassuring. It's just unusual these sticky lows and after 3 in a row I can only assume it's the heat.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm either dropping low some time overnight and rebounding or I'm getting suddenly aggressive dawn phenomenon.. 2 days in a row I've woken up around 16mmol/L meaning a no carb breakfast and a correction. :shifty:

Think I'll have to do some checking through the night. Hope everyone else is getting on OK!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Shinealight could it be her basal needs reducing? if you could give us more info on her basal usage it may help.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Last year I was on gliclazide and had frequent hypos all over the place in the heat. This year is my first summer on Novorapid and Toujeo and I'm actually running a bit 'high' constantly. I seem to hover around 8 and only go as low as 7 no matter how many corrections I take. On the upside, I don't run into hypers as long as I bolus properly either. I'm a lot happier with this than last year for sure! Prefer to be stable around 7-8 than to go on either extreme side all the time...

nuun1967

Type of diabetes
Type 1
With the temperatures pushing the mid 30's just wanted to warn all insulin users to take extra care with managing their blood glucose levels, personally I am adjusting each day but am averaging about 2 hypos a day at the moment, so taking extra glucose everywhere and testing more frequently is essential, take care out there folks :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my first 'bad' hypo yesterday just before sleeping when reading in bed. Not sure if it was the heat or the skinny-dipping in a cold pool (still filling with tap water, so very, very cold) just before bed. Or maybe it was something else I or the diabetes did wrong. Noticed hypo, took dextro, took crisps after that but before hypo was completely solved but sure I took enough dextro to get my sugars up again. Was sweating like a shower and really wanted to close my eyes for a moment. Remember thinking I shouldn't do that, I had to keep checking my blood. Closed them anyway and the next moment I was checking my sugar, still hypo and about an hour and a half was missing. Not sure if sleeping or unconcious, but very scary.