type two im going to reverse this without medication through diet only

barakiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in November 16 with type two diabetes. my readings then were 51 or 6.6 ive been on my own low carb diet counting everything I eat everyday and writing it down after 3 months my reading had gone down to 46 I have lost 2 stone 4 pound and ive just had my reading after a further 3 months today with the diabetic nurse, and my reading had gone down to 42. im now continuing to diet and want to lose another couple of stone may take me longer to lose the last two stone but im determined to reverse this or put it into remission I hope this helps anyone.

Teammidwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done!! I was diagnosed as type2 a year ago and was on metformin. My most recent Hba1c was 46 having been off medication for about 6 weeks. I am finding diet-only control a bit of a struggle but am happy that I am keeping the risk of complications low. You should be really proud of yourself

barakiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!! I was diagnosed as type2 a year ago and was on metformin. My most recent Hba1c was 46 having been off medication for about 6 weeks. I am finding diet-only control a bit of a struggle but am happy that I am keeping the risk of complications low. You should be really proud of yourself

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in November 16 with type two diabetes. my readings then were 51 or 6.6 ive been on my own low carb diet counting everything I eat everyday and writing it down after 3 months my reading had gone down to 46 I have lost 2 stone 4 pound and ive just had my reading after a further 3 months today with the diabetic nurse, and my reading had gone down to 42. im now continuing to diet and want to lose another couple of stone may take me longer to lose the last two stone but im determined to reverse this or put it into remission I hope this helps anyone.
Well done indeed.. have a read of the low carb success stories thread - lots of us are doing or have followed a similar path with much success.

Reactions: dbr10

barakiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
your doing well too coming off the tablets and getting down to 46 mine was 46 3 months ago and now 3 months later its down to 42 I follow my own carb suger and counting caleries diet, and I eat alsorts but I count everything that goes in my mouth I write it down the carbs suger and caleries everyday, you have to do it to get it down as none of us want complications you've not far to go to catch me up so continue doing the low carb diet and you will get there good luck to both of us

Reactions: Prem51

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance

Well done. I did the same thing, recording all food I ate, when I ate it and my meter readings before and 2.5 hours after eating. I also recorded what meds I took (I am on quite a little pile) in the same way. My diabetes had been caused by ongoing steroid treatment following a transplant, and it was clear that I had spikes lasting up to four hours after taking that particular med. It was also clear very quickly that the Gliclazide I was on for my diabetes was doing next to nothing for me except causing nightmares. Armed with my figures, I easily persuaded four renal doctors and a diabetes consultant that I should come off the Gliclazide and try diet alone, and that the dosage of the steroid needed cut quite dramatically. I am now on ten times less of that drug. I also drew up a table of how my weekly food intake broke down into carbs, fats, protein, fibre and calories (working out figures per 100g and considering portion size). This table further assisted me in convincing a dietitian that I knew what I was doing. It is a bit obsessive, of course it is, but it helped me get in control in sustainable way. I was diagnosed at around 21mmols..and that dropped to under 8 mmols very quickly. My last HbA1c was about 7mmols (43/6.1%) and still improving. I now seldom record anything, test less often and have a less strict approach....which is working because of all the earlier effort. I am "fortunate" that weight has never been an issue, so the diet is all about lowering BS. I would recommend recording in this detail at least for the first month or so to anyone newly diagnosed. it is a real eye-opener and a very handy weapon. The other things which helped/are helping greatly - my meter and the people on this site.

teddybear

it makes me feel very cross, no carbs, no sandwiches if you feel low....
do these people live normal lives, with time to record all their food intake?
have they nothing in life that makes them worry about Family members?
helping good friends through radical cancer treatments... I take my blood
sugars, pass the machine to the Doctor, no time for writing everything
down... of course in an ideal world we should all keep diaries etc..
in practise with a Family who does!!!!!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do not write down my food but I do record blood sugars and weight. This takes about 20 seconds per day and lets me see that what I am doing is working. I have not only a family but my children and grandchildren living with me. 8 people in an average size house and all the cooking, cleaning and running around that entails. How will I possibly keep up with all that if I do not pay attention to my health? I guess we each have our own priorities.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Everyone has choices. If no carbs makes you cross, don't do it.

There's nothing normal about anybody's life. When I record my food intake it must take me all of 10 minutes a day, almost as much time as it takes to make a shopping list.

Don't start me on worrying about family members, I can write a book. It's something that most people do.

helping good friends through radical cancer treatments...

It that's what you're doing, you're not alone, it's the **** of everyday life that most of us have to deal with. I don't know many people who lead such an enchanted life that they never have to deal with "issues".

I take my blood
sugars, pass the machine to the Doctor,

Not sure where you live, most people in the UK will have their own BG meter. My GP will discuss my HbA1c but never actually take my BG. I expect she would if there was a need.

no time for writing everything
down...

Only my opinion but we can make time for anything, I'm not aware of spending more than a few minutes to record things to be able to show my GP if required. One of the reasons a food diary is important is because nobody can say I've been eating too much or the wrong things.

of course in an ideal world we should all keep diaries etc..

I can understand if you were rewriting War and Peace and families are important enough to take up most of one's time. In answer to "who does?" I'd say anybody who wants to.

I'm sorry that other people's efforts to be healthy makes you cross, it's something that a lot of people manage to do on top of all the other **** in their lives, you're not alone.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Go for it!! We are with you!

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
so what would make me really, really cross is getting disabling complications of my DB and not having accepted the challenges to make changes to my "normal life" when I could have.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sure is such a thing. Mild or severe, type 1 or type 2, it is still Diabetes. And he is doing the right stuff for it, as are you

Kind of like mild cancer, I suppose.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see where you are coming from despite having diabetes we do need a normal life and have time for the important family things so we must decide how much we let the diabetes rule it. No one has to record everything and should not be made to think that they do it is a personal choice. The important thing is we do what suits our own lives. I do think a lot of people enjoy the recording and logging everything that is their choice but it is not for everyone.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I started low carbing in the 1970s I wrote everything down because I had a busy life and it was easy to forget just how much I'd eaten.
I made shopping lists too, as forgetting to pick up something meant another trip and that was a waste of time. I was doing the Open University then, and had a wall chart of things to do - along with the folk club and the weekends with John Lillbournes regiment of musket and pike.
Keeping tabs is not a sign of not having a life - quite the reverse.