Bubbles in infusion set!

JimC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I've been getting a lot of bubbles in my infusion set so have got through a few! Could this hot weather we have been having be a contributing factor? I always check when filling the tubing and at times loads of bubbles come through so start a second one and no bubbles but later that day loads of bubbles in the set.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @JimC - which set are you using and I can tag other users ?

JimC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on accu-chek insight pump using the 70cm adapter and tubing set

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on accu-chek insight pump using the 70cm adapter and tubing set
Is it the Flex infusion sets? I use those - specifically the 6mm cannula and 70cm hosepipes. I'm sorry to hear about your bubble issues - and I want to say a big big thank you for making me check mine - I haven't noticed anything untoward thankfully but you've made me aware that I need to be checking, particularly in this heat.

Just tagging @Type1Lad - he's recently switched from the Insight to a different pump thanks to bubble issues so he might be able to shed some light on this.

:)

Reactions: JimC

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have had the same problem for the past year and got the first pump replaced in October last year and yo and behold the second pump started doing the exact same after a few weeks. Roche won't replace the pump again so just have to prime the air bubbles out manually a few time a day. If you hind a fix for this plz let me know @JimC

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had the same problem for the past year and got the first pump replaced in October last year and yo and behold the second pump started doing the exact same after a few weeks. Roche won't replace the pump again so just have to prime the air bubbles out manually a few time a day. If you hind a fix for this plz let me know @JimC
Hi @Gaz-M , I'd forgotten yours was bubbly - and gosh, the replacement one doesn't sound great, either.........

:(

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I spoke to Accuchek about this when I had my insight. They said it was just the heat with the insulin causing bubbles.... especially when I wore my pump very close to my body on my arm.

JimC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cheers for that as mine is close to my body so that explains some of it but still had problems when priming tube with new cartridge at times.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It will still be put down to heat by Accuchek.. taking from fridge, even if its been left out for a week before priming thru.... and they arent really worried about small bubbles.. cant remember the length of bubble in a tube that they think its acceptable to go up to.
Take it that you do tap the bottom of pump whilst priming?

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey all I was on an insight pump but thankfully I was allowed to swap early.
I had met with pump reps and showed them and they had no clue what was going on.
I nearly ended up in DKA because of it but thankfully managed to sort it out.

The only thing I can suggest is you leave your insulin at least one insulin cartridge out at all times so you can have room temp insulin.
Speak to your diabetic team so they can flag a yellow card up and speak to Roche and tell them what is going on.

the usual excuse you will get it is. "Are you putting the cap on cartridge correctly". This is because sometimes the needle in cap can bend but mine was not due to this.

Good luck and I hope you can solve it </3

Jo1407

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have had a nightmare three weeks with my son running high. I was under the impression that we'd not get air bubbles using the insight pump so I wasn't looking for them. Last night I took his pump off him to check insulin was running through and spotted the air bubbles. After another bad night, and a 45 minute bike ride he was still running at 21.4 and climbing. We changed everything again, and I spotted air bubbles in the tubing I'd taken off. At lunchtime rang Roche and the helpline adviser suggested it could be a faulty batch of tubing. So, after another change of tubing and insulin he was down to 4.2 before tea, then was hypo during tea. More than likely due to all of the ratio and basal changes I've been making to sort out bloods....hopefully everything should settle soon, although I've a feeling I'll be dealing with a few more hypos!
Are air bubbles like hens teeth with the insight as I've spoken to at least three nurses on our team in the last three weeks about these hypers and no ones suggested bubbles? We even had our annual check yesterday