• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
5.5 I now take a Milk Thistle supplement & coconut oil before bed. I think it does help, maybe it has been around 10 points lower since taking this supplement.

Last edited:

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Given up on posting FBG. Almost always between 6-6.5 unless I have a meal with mushroom and cream, then I can get it down to 5.6 or similar. On the upside I hardly ever go over 7.8 PP :)

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 again ~late night Options in coffee? ~ Does anyone here experience BG going up with Options? ( Diet ch0c drink)

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From Dietdoctor:

Elevated blood sugars more or less exclusively in the morning is a common concern. This is known as “the Dawn Phenomenon” and occurs due to hormonal effects in the morning. It may actually be even more pronounced on a low-carb diet, compared to other diets.

Many people get surprised as their average sugars (measured by A1c) goes down nicely on low carb, blood sugars are great during the day… but morning sugars may stay elevated.

This is normally a natural phenomenon, caused by a morning elevation of cortisol and other hormones that cause the liver to release glucose, thus raising blood sugar levels. This can be thought of as a way for the body to prepare you for getting active again, after sleeping.

Seems like I'm pretty normal then :) 6.0 this am

Reactions: Freema

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 I'm keeping it balanced as I find low carb difficult (medium carb is OK)

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From Dietdoctor:

Elevated blood sugars more or less exclusively in the morning is a common concern. This is known as “the Dawn Phenomenon” and occurs due to hormonal effects in the morning. It may actually be even more pronounced on a low-carb diet, compared to other diets.

Many people get surprised as their average sugars (measured by A1c) goes down nicely on low carb, blood sugars are great during the day… but morning sugars may stay elevated.

This is normally a natural phenomenon, caused by a morning elevation of cortisol and other hormones that cause the liver to release glucose, thus raising blood sugar levels. This can be thought of as a way for the body to prepare you for getting active again, after sleeping.

Seems like I'm pretty normal then :) 6.0 this am

Thanks for posting this ~~ The hormones bit sounds very interesting , I wonder if fluctuating hormones can change things ?

janstaz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
ive just be told im pre-diabetic, been testing blood after overnight fast its been 7.6 so dont know if thats good or whatever? dont even know if i should check it other times neither, or just leave it alone and wait 6 months for another blood test off the Dr, got given leaflets on losing weight and moving more, but nothing else. can anyone help please.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Right confused... For the first time, I tested my GL I fasted and the reading came out as 6.0...What I did not know was that even having a coffee with sweetener because of the Caffeine can raise BGL. I had drank the coffee 3 hours before taking my BG. I waited another 40 mins then took my blood again, this time it came up as 5.3 I did read that drinking coffee before taking BG can stay in the system for 3 and a half hours and can give a higher reading, so maybe waiting that extra 40 mins helped? I will test again 2 hours after eating a meal and report back. Would love to hear people's opinion as I am new to all of this.. x

Reactions: PreDiet

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ive just be told im pre-diabetic, been testing blood after overnight fast its been 7.6 so dont know if thats good or whatever? dont even know if i should check it other times neither, or just leave it alone and wait 6 months for another blood test off the Dr, got given leaflets on losing weight and moving more, but nothing else. can anyone help please.
Hi @janstaz so pleased you have a meter.

I think 7.6 is too high for prediabetes. You are going to need to make some changes to get it down.

I am tagging @daisy1 who will send you some new member information. This contains the guidelines for what you should see.

There is also some great information on the website connected to the forum. Please read up about prediabetes and what you can do to avoid type 2 diabetes.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@derry60 5.3 yesterday 5.8 today , the blood sugars can rise even after a sip of coffee (I had a 7.9 on Monday after sip of coffee with sweeteners)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) For those members who have not read this already, here is the Basic Information for new members (tagged above) and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 245,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@phonic2k I appreciate low carb does not work for you. There needs to be more research on low carb diets full stop and also why it works for most and not others.

I know I would be 6 stone heavier and diagnosed type 2 if I did not moderate my carbs to approx 100g a day over the last 5 years.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema
P

pollensa

6.7, not too good
Hello from Mallorca

How do you know NOT TOO GOOD, it may be good. The figures you view regards results, one has to keep in mind are ARBITRARY CUT OFF LEVELS in order to base ones results daily, weekly or monthly. A number recommended on assumptions, with no medical or clinical one hundred percent support. The Who and Expert Committees acknowledge and
admit the Cut offs for real blood finger tests and A1C are simply ARBITRARY at whim at random choice. This is rather concerning considering one bases their results on same.

Did you know A1C UK and most of world X over cut off figure chosen is 6.5%. However, other countries have slight and more variations which is rather frightening for example.

My own case.
Here in Mallorca my A1C is 6.6% simply 1 number or 1% over the arbitrary chosen Cut Off that diagnosis if one if diabetic or not. Here in Mallorca I am viewed and given a label DIABETIC.

If I jump on a plan to New Zealand their cut off level is 6.7% compared to spain 6.5% fall under their category as ONLY PRE DIABETIC, NO MEDICATIONS LIFESTYLE CHANGE RECOMMENDED AND REVIEW 6-12 MONTHS.

I raise this awareness as really non of us know 100% what the correct X over numbers are at the end of the day, my A1C is a prime example "it depends where you are resident time of a diagnosis" Spain is not wrong in their diagnosis Diabetic to myself, nor is New Zealand, for the fact they are following the criteria policy rules of Cut offs in their respective countries,
at the same time, my Doctor giving me a label of Diabetic does not to say he is correct or that I am diabetic so I am in the middle of two thresholds and that's the frightening thing about Diabetes, people have to open their eyes, start asking questions, and view that the guideline recommendations may not always be correct.

In my situation its Spain A1C v. New Zealand A1C

As you can imagine, I dumped the diagnosis in Spain advised to myself, and decided to opt for the more pragmatic practical approach towards diagnosing and formats of New Zealand and who can blame me.

So don't worry too much, my advice, start some deep searching to reputable sources, regards cut off levels. After all your result may not be as bad as you indicate or assume.

Good Luck
Mallorca

Reactions: Prem51