What's your weird hypo symptom?

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So, I don't know if anyone else gets this...
When I reach a certain point, beyond just a bit jittery and sweaty, but before anything really bad... sort of high 2's/low 3's... I get this wonderful fresh light floaty feeling. I feel terrible about 15mins later, and am really too anxious/attentive to enjoy it, but yeah.

Never read or got told about that one!

It's a great warning, as it can't be mistaken for just having a headache/not feeling well/being affected from exercising.

Anyone else get anything besides the commonly listed symptoms?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I sometimes get amazing clarity and creativity when I go low - almost as if i've got tunnel vision but can think quite clearly. not very often mind.. !! Most other times it's the shakes, sweats and extreme fatigue..

D

Deleted Account

I lose focus and get easily distracted.
Foe example, if I feel the hypo coming on when I am in my attic room, en route to the kitchen, I start to make the bed, clean the bathroom and, even when I make it to the kitchen, I start sorting out the laundry.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before I get the classic tingling lips, shakes and sweats etc I can get, I won't say hyper but if I'm concentrating on something I get very intense about it and talkative - which my wife picks up on, as soon as she says something about it I can pick up on it and say yeah I may be heading low but more often I say no way am I low, and then literally 10secs later I'm thinking to myself yeap she's right...(as all women always are:D).....as my lips start to tingle.

Reactions: Lorraine1973

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
For me, it feels like a panic attack. Chills, weakness in the legs, confusion and irritability.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
around the 2.5 mark, which almost never happens [usually alcohol related] I get flashing vision...made more obvious with any bright light sources....

not an unusual symptom by any means but an extreme one...

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I sometimes get amazing clarity and creativity when I go low - almost as if i've got tunnel vision but can think quite clearly. not very often mind.. !! Most other times it's the shakes, sweats and extreme fatigue..
Yes, I get a bot that way too.. so clear and crisp.

Also yes, it's only occasionally.. usually just the bad stuff!

scorpius14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i used to be able to type 10x faster, skim-read a book and commit it to long term memory, hallucinate my worst fears

but now i just get the worst headache in the world that feels like an alien is burrowing its way out, in this case my head instead of the stomach. and a form of existential crisis that lasts 5 seconds.

Now i mostly fear going near 4mmol/l and stay in the 10s-20s

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
i used to be able to type 10x faster, skim-read a book and commit it to long term memory, hallucinate my worst fears

but now i just get the worst headache in the world that feels like an alien is burrowing its way out, in this case my head instead of the stomach. and a form of existential crisis that lasts 5 seconds.

Now i mostly fear going near 4mmol/l and stay in the 10s-20s

Hey sorry to hear your fear about running low - you should discuss your hypo anxiety with your consultant ? You need some support with this.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Mum used to tell me she could tell when my levels were dropping as I would go really quiet.

Anyone who knows me knows this to be the top sign as usually getting me to shut up is a miracle.

Reactions: lizdeluz

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get the floaty feeling as well. But whenever I go below 4, I get this strange feeling for a split second, I can't put it into words but this picture if how I feel:
upload_2017-6-21_14-35-25.png

Reactions: azure and Juicyj

abigail0432

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually go really quiet and blurry vision and when I'm walking I feel like I'm walking in slow motion.

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I lose focus and get easily distracted.
Foe example, if I feel the hypo coming on when I am in my attic room, en route to the kitchen, I start to make the bed, clean the bathroom and, even when I make it to the kitchen, I start sorting out the laundry.
I sometimes do that, then I get to the point of saying to myself "sort your hypo sort your hypo for God's sake sort your hypo"

Reactions: Juicyj

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
During my hypo hell period.
I would go blank in not knowing, where I was, what I was doing, how I got there and forget everything in at least that hour!
My hypo awareness was so bad, I didn't have a clue what was happening to me!
My memory loss was near total in that time.
I have read books and seen tv programmes but can't remember them if I see or read them.
I now believe that it was my brain responding to consistent hypos and hypers!

Reactions: petdell

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have lows that are euphoric, I feel really good. What's dangerous about those is I tend not to try and correct, and if I don't I run the risk of going "past the point of no return" which is I get too confused to fix it and just get stupid. Hardly ever happens fortunately. Where it can be a problem is walking on golf course by myself. I can get gradually lower and not notice it, can still play pretty good and concentrate. I carry a meter in my bag now which helps considerably. I've finished 9 holes at 1.6 making a par to finish. I couldn't believe it when I checked at the car.

Reactions: lizdeluz

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I haven't had one for a while (thank goodness) but I used to start crying for absolutely no reason - and usually in the most embarrassing circumstances - it was only after the crying kicked in that I'd get the more usual symptoms.

Reactions: phdiabetic

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The need to pee, it's a symptom I've always had for some strange reason.
I get this too - I was worried it was something else but no it is a low symptom for me. particularly noticeable when walking or housework.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I get this too - I was worried it was something else but no it is a low symptom for me. particularly noticeable when walking or housework.

Well I'm pleased I'm not alone @Bon83 :)

Actually a few years back someone else mentioned that they get the same symptom.

Reactions: Juicyj and Bon83

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
I get the thing of getting distracted and doing all sorts of other things rather than fixing the hypo. I get jerky arms sometimes and tend to become either very argumentative or completely laid back and cheery! Strangest symptom, and scariest, is seeing everything around me moving about and crowding in on me. By that time I am no longer able to focus on getting any glucose and need help from someone else.