FinnulaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worrying.
Hello!
One week in to a type 1 diagnosis, so my pancreas still works a little...the honeymoon period where my little pancreas slowly stops...so I've been told.
So my mother asked a good question and I have no idea, and thought I would ask on here.
Why do they let the Pancras die, is there any research into aiding it, or assisting it back to health? Or keeping it going for as long as possible?
Any links or books or discussion would be much appreciated...
Much love and wonderings,
Finnula
X

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The immune system has identified the beta cells inside the pancreas as bad and kills them.....however there are other cells in there and functions taking place that continue to do so after diagnosis....

So a true cure for type one would be to stop that immune response which is very difficult if not impossible at this stage in human development....

there are many studies and projects on the go to list.....one I did find interesting was transplanting beta cells that have been wrapped in something that hides them from the immune system.....don't know if any progress has been made....

Reactions: FinnulaC

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1) your pancreas isn't dying. The insulin producing beta cells that live in the pancreas are being killed off by your immune system.

2) type 1 diabetes is currently incurable. No one knows what causes the autoimmune attack, we don't know how to stop it and once beta cells are dead there is no proven way of "assisting them back to health".

3) clinical trials are often recruiting newly diagnosed type 1 diabetics to see whether there is a way of slowing down the autoimmune attack. You can search the clinical trials gateway - www.ukctg.nihr.ac.uk

Reactions: FinnulaC

FinnulaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worrying.
1) your pancreas isn't dying. The insulin producing beta cells that live in the pancreas are being killed off by your immune system.

2) type 1 diabetes is currently incurable. No one knows what causes the autoimmune attack, we don't know how to stop it and once beta cells are dead there is no proven way of "assisting them back to health".

3) clinical trials are often recruiting newly diagnosed type 1 diabetics to see whether there is a way of slowing down the autoimmune attack. You can search the clinical trials gateway - www.ukctg.nihr.ac.uk
cool,will have a look,thank you.
XX