Hot weather and the impact on BG.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, and wonder whether anyone can spare any advice or experience on hot weather.
I notice that when it is hot my BG goes up and stays up. I also notice that the peeks for food are much less.

As an example it has been very warm here and I have been out in the sun. At times relaxing and at times walking or mowing the lawn. My BG has remained in the 6.5-6.8 range nearly all day. For me that is high, typically I run between 5 & 6 all day but I normally get with a very low card meal (circa 10g) a 1.5mmol 2 hour peek and really slow declines after that - probably another 90mins till back to where it was before.

Today, I didn't eat any breakfast at all and 6.8 the whole time. When I sat and cooled right down I got at one point to 5.2 but even after meals whether I was at 6.8 or not I didn't peek over 7.1.

But as I see it from when I work up this morning at 4.8 I have been at 2mmol over all day long and hasn't my body just been chucking out insulin as a result? Is all the work I have done on trying to get my insulin production being jeopardized?

And where does all this glucose come from? Is it long term good news because my body is draining it from somewhere.

I thought I was making progress - and now I feel I am back to square 1 only now I hardly eat anything.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pretty sure that in cold weather my meter gives lost readings, so wonder if hot weather will make the chemical reaction in the strips change and give a higher reading? That's not saying hot weather doesn't result in actual BG being higher too!

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
i usaully have readings around 5.8.
Recently and only when its been warm my readings have also been sitting around the 6.8 mark all day.
I have never drank so much since diagnosis.
Im not going to get too stressed with it as that can raise your BS level alone.
The way i look at it is im not sitting at 10 +,not perfect but ok on a temp basis.

Reactions: Fleegle

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
I had a blood glucose reading of 5.2 this morning. I drank coffee this morning without breakfast. For a late lunch I consumed boiled potatoes in their skins, boiled cauliflower and boiled broad beans. I feel very hot in south London today and keep taking cool showers.

Regards,

@JohnnyBaker12021970

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have been getting slightly higher tests than normal - and it is incredibly hot here in South Yorkshire. It hadn't occurred to me that it might be the weather. I'm trying to stay out of the sun at the moment because I got a bit red in only 30 mins yesterday. Not an attractive look. ;)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been getting slightly higher tests than normal - and it is incredibly hot here in South Yorkshire. It hadn't occurred to me that it might be the weather. I'm trying to stay out of the sun at the moment because I got a bit red in only 30 mins yesterday. Not an attractive look. ;)
I get both low and high with same foods butnin different days. Annoying trying to figure it out. Weather does effect me when seasons are changing

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, and wonder whether anyone can spare any advice or experience on hot weather.
I notice that when it is hot my BG goes up and stays up. I also notice that the peeks for food are much less.

And where does all this glucose come from? Is it long term good news because my body is draining it from somewhere.

I thought I was making progress - and now I feel I am back to square 1 only now I hardly eat anything.

Usual culprit is dehydration. It can cause blood sugar to rise as the glucose in your blood becomes more concentrated. High concentrations of glucose may result in peeing more, which increases dehydration.
What works for me is drinking more fluids. You also need to eat something. Try some broth for breakfast or a bit of cheese or a couple of nuts or an egg. Lots of salads at this time of year. Steady with the meat and maybe test more often. If blood sugars seem high then nibble and drink. A good paced walk before it gets too hot or later in the day may help.

Diane60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the info about dehydration. Have increased the coffee for the past week and have been having erratic readings. Back to water for my main drinks.

D

Deleted member 388305

+1 on dehydration. When you get dehydrated, your body will leech water out of your blood, but the sugar remains. This necessarily gives you a higher concentration of sugar in your bloodstream.