When did Insulin therapy become common practice?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The meters were available in the 70's but came widely available in the 80's here in the UK, I think I got my first bg meter around 84/85 and paid around £100 for it (the only meter I've ever paid for).

I had that same meter when I was first diagnosed in 1986. I believe my parents had to pay for the testing strips though. Much like CGM today, the newest technology wasn't yet on NHS prescription. They also paid for the little disposable plastic syringes, rather than using a surgical steel monstrosity!!

I wonder what Banting & co would think of the development of Insulin pumps and the 'artificial pancreas' trials of today?? They knew it was a huge breakthrough but could they have ever dreamed of anything like this???

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I had that same meter when I was first diagnosed in 1986. I believe my parents had to pay for the testing strips though. Much like CGM today, the newest technology wasn't yet on NHS prescription. They also paid for the little disposable plastic syringes, rather than using a surgical steel monstrosity!!

I too paid for the BD disposable syringes, someone on the forum said they were available on prescription at the time but I'm sure I did ask my Dr and he said they weren't. Didn't pay for the strips but was limited to 50 at a time, but back then you could cut the strips up and compare the results on the bg strip container, it wasn't as accurate as using the Reflolux S but it made the strips go a long way.

I wonder what Banting & co would think of the development of Insulin pumps and the 'artificial pancreas' trials of today?? They knew it was a huge breakthrough but could they have ever dreamed of anything like this???

Pioneers of their day, we owe them a great debt of gratitude. I would imagine they'd be well pleased with how far we've come :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow, that's a "movie-in-waiting" if ever I heard one !

There's a "made for TV" one called "Glory enough for all."

Haven't seen it, but there's probably a dvd of it kicking around on e-bay!

The title hints at the sheer bitchiness and politics going on between the main protagonists, particularly Banting, and the head of the lab, McLeod, both during the experiments and when the Nobel prize aspect came along.

Unfortunately, that all kind of overshadows the real story in this. Google dog 92 Banting. I'm forever grateful to that wee yellow collie dog, Marjorie, dog 92. Banting made a point of telling all his patients in the first few years how much they owed to that wee dog.

Reactions: azure and Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a "made for TV" one called "Glory enough for all."

Haven't seen it, but there's probably a dvd of it kicking around on e-bay!

The title hints at the sheer bitchiness and politics going on between the main protagonists, particularly Banting, and the head of the lab, McLeod, both during the experiments and when the Nobel prize aspect came along.

Unfortunately, that all kind of overshadows the real story in this. Google dog 92 Banting. I'm forever grateful to that wee yellow collie dog, Marjorie, dog 92. Banting made a point of telling all his patients in the first few years how much they owed to that wee dog.

Aha! So someone has picked up on it. Isn't it a pity, though, that they have to centre the attention on negative aspects. I guess it's still true that good news doesn't sell, (except on Walton's mountain).
Google throws up quite a few references that look interesting, many thanks for the info.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
but back then you could cut the strips up and compare the results on the bg strip container

Indeed! I came to it a bit later in 1989, and don't recall ever paying for them, but I remember my then DSN Sister C******* explaining this is the latest technology, so it's quite expensive. Her sales pitch on the cutting them in half was that I'd need less blood for each.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aha! So someone has picked up on it. Isn't it a pity, though, that they have to centre the attention on negative aspects. I guess it's still true that good news doesn't sell, (except on Walton's mountain).
Google throws up quite a few references that look interesting, many thanks for the info.

Thanks. It's a fascinating story. Seeing as you're taking an interest in the history...

I mentioned a book further upthread called Breakthough..(title too long to type in full!) by Thea Cooper, but you'll get it easy enough by googling her name. It's very well researched.

One of the points which sticks in my mind from that book is that, while all the scientists and politicians and pharmas are doing their heavy stuff, there's this relatively senior management guy who knows nothing about biology, who turns up for his job one day at a pharma and is suddenly asked by the bosses to acquire every beef/pork pancreas he can from every slaughterhouse in America. He doesn't quite know why, but he pulls a few connections, figures out a deal to persuade
slaughterhouse dudes that this is worthwhile, and keeps his bosses happy with that.

He's never mentioned in the miracle of insulin, but he played a major part.

Reactions: Salvia
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Indeed! I came to it a bit later in 1989, and don't recall ever paying for them, but I remember my then DSN Sister C******* explaining this is the latest technology, so it's quite expensive. Her sales pitch on the cutting them in half was that I'd need less blood for each.

I was diagnosed in 1989 as well.

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The NHS was introduced in the UK in 1945. Prior to that people had to be able to pay the doctor. My gran had her teeth out as a 21st birthday present to save her the pain later in life. She told me that was a very common practice before the NHS. If you are interested in early healthcare you could try and get a copy of "Dr Bradley remembers" by Francis Brett Young. Dr Bradley (fictional character) started of in the world of bonesetters and practised during the era of discoveries about hygene.
I appreciate that before the NHS was established, payment for medical treatment was involved - but interestingly this wasn't a dirt poor family - dad had a reasonably responsible white collar job and by 1939 (according to the Register) was also a Special Constable - so not convinced that money was an issue where a daughter's life was concerned.

Will look out for the book - I have vague memories of an old black and white Dr Finlay's Casebook edition on TV where the doctors diagnosed diabetes in a man from the white sugar crystals they saw on his boots - that he had splashed when relieving himself!!

Medicine certainly has come a long way.........

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I appreciate that before the NHS was established, payment for medical treatment was involved - but interestingly this wasn't a dirt poor family - dad had a reasonably responsible white collar job and by 1939 (according to the Register) was also a Special Constable - so not convinced that money was an issue where a daughter's life was concerned.

Will look out for the book - I have vague memories of an old black and white Dr Finlay's Casebook edition on TV where the doctors diagnosed diabetes in a man from the white sugar crystals they saw on his boots - that he had splashed when relieving himself!!

Medicine certainly has come a long way.........
It most certainly has. In days of yore doctors could diagnose by drinking the patients urine. Diabetics had urine has sweet as honey. Hence Mellitus. Ugh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Banting House NHSC

Before Banting: Treatments for Diabetes in the Pre-Insulin Era
Frederick Banting came up with the idea which led to the discovery of insulin right here at Banting House in 1920. Although the idea of insulin was new, the effects of diabetes were not – for many thousands of years, people had been suffering and dying from the disease. So how did doctors help them before insulin had been discovered?

Diabetes was first described in Ancient Egypt around 3500 BCE. Ever since then, physicians around the world tried to test and treat the “sugar sickness”, as it was called; however, with insulin still unknown, diabetics were doomed to waste away. Doctors in Egypt, India, and Greece all watched as the patients they desperately tried to save inevitably fell into comas and died.

During the 18th century, doctors began to understand that diet played a role in diabetes, and that with modification of the diet, its effects could be slowed. They aimed to limit carbohydrates, and increase fat and protein levels in the food that diabetics ate. Fad diets for the desperate in this time included the “oat cure”, “potato therapy”, the “rice cure”, and opium – few of which did anything to help.

Just before Banting discovered insulin, a new and somewhat effective treatment was being promoted by Dr. Frederick Allen and Dr. Elliot Joslin, the world’s leading diabetologists. The Allen Diet was an individualized starvation diet which limited carbs along with calories for people with diabetes. For some people, the diet consisted of only 400 calories a day – barely anything! It was difficult for patients to follow, especially children, who often did not understand the importance of their diet restrictions. One boy was so desperate for food that he ate his pet canary’s birdseed, causing him to fall into a coma and die. While the diet allowed some patients to live long enough to see the discovery of insulin, most were not so lucky and some even starved to death.

After Frederick Banting discovered insulin, the lives of diabetics everywhere changed forever – they were no longer forced to live on a starvation diet, waiting for their death. Instead, they were given the opportunity to live a full and happy life, which included eating whatever they wanted. Banting supported people with diabetes being able to eat normally – he thought they deserved to live life to the fullest. However, many doctors trained in the “pre-insulin school of thought”, as he called it, continued to place diabetics on a bland diet lacking in taste, flavor and options.

teddy-ryder.jpg

Before and after photos of Teddy Ryder, one of Frederick Banting’s first patients. In the left-hand photo, Teddy is using the starvation diet treatment; in the right-hand photo, he is using the insulin treatment.

Today, diabetic diets are still a contentious issue – generally, they focus on a balanced diet which is low in saturated fats and processed sugars, and high in soluble fiber. The main concern when discussing diabetic diet is not death, but rather kidney failure and macrovascular disease.

Thanks to the discovery of insulin, it is easy to take for granted the effective treatment of diabetes. Yet not even a hundred years ago, the treatments for diabetes were unthinkable to us today. It is a lasting testament to the great discovery of Sir Frederick Banting, and a reminder that we are lucky for the treatment available today.

This post was written by Kylie Smith. Kylie recently graduated with a B.A. in history and anthropology from The University of Western Ontario, and will be attending teachers college in the fall.

Reactions: azure

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I spent three months of 1968 in a residential school for children with health issues. There were children with cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, diabetes and even some who had suffered polio and using calipers. I remember that the children with CF were all thin and the children with Diabetes were all a little overweight. Those were the days when any child presenting with disabilities, physical or mental, were shut away out of sight of the mainstream. Things have indeed moved on a lot since those dark days.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You mention CF I found out recently that CF patients can have CFRD a form of Diabetes which can have similarities with both T1 and T2.

"
CFRD shares some features with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. In people with CF, the thick, sticky mucus that is characteristic of the disease causes scarring of the pancreas. This scarring prevents the pancreas from producing normal amounts of insulin, so, like people with type 1 diabetes, they become insulin deficient. Their pancreas still makes some insulin, but not enough to stay healthy and maintain good nutrition.

Additionally, people with CFRD may not respond to insulin in the right way like people with type 2 diabetes, especially when sick, when taking steroid medication, and when pregnant. This is referred to as being "insulin resistant." "

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The meters were available in the 70's but came widely available in the 80's here in the UK, I think I got my first bg meter around 84/85 and paid around £100 for it (the only meter I've ever paid for).

reflolux-S.jpg

Had that one too. Carried it and supplies like injections etc in a show box!!

Reactions: noblehead