Type 1 Changing my cannular in work

simon.davies2

I've just been informed that I have to use the public changing room toilet in work to change my pump cannular instead of a sterile drugs room in residential care home where I work . Is this hygienic enough and what are my rights ? Help !!!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just been informed that I have to use the public changing room toilet in work to change my pump cannular instead of a sterile drugs room in residential care home where I work . Is this hygienic enough and what are my rights ? Help !!!!

I wouldn't use a toilet. Tell them the cannula is sterile and you need a clean room to insert it not a toilet.

Did they give you any reason why you can't use the drugs room?

Reactions: Lorraine1973

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not really a reason but it was implied I would use a residents insulin

Then I'd show them your pump reservoir, explain its full of insulin, and that all you need to do is to insert a new cannula.

I've only changed my cannula at work once in an emergency, so if you have the option of changing it at home most times, that might be simplest :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I can understand their concerns about a drugs room. I suspect they've had previous with drugs "going missing", and it's probably not just insulin they are worried about, in spite of you.

Is there a staff room?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could it perhaps be an insurance issue, the room can only be used for things prescribed to residents? I cannot think of any other reasonable reason for stopping you. I don't think you can argue you need a sterile area though as most of us don't have that available but you certainly shouldn't be forced to use the toilet.

I would ask them to give you a reason and see if you can come to some kind of arrangement, I can't see why on earth they think you'd use someone else's insulin - maybe if we had to pay for it but there's just no logical reason when it's freely available. Could a resident's insulin have run out unexpectedly and they are looking for a reason? Or a resident didn't get enough insulin and they are trying to blame you??!

D

Deleted Account

What a pain.
Is it possible to schedule your set change when you are at home to avoid this ... apart from emergencies of course?

Are you only talking about changing the cannula or do you mean filling the cartridge, etc? Changing this in a toilet does not sound nice. Is there a compromise like borrowing an office for 10 minutes every 2 or 3 days?

And what do they expect you to do with your sharps? Do you have to take these home?

(Sorry, too many questions!)

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Drop the words 'reasonable adjustments' into conversation. They may suddenly find you a quiet office space for you to borrow when needed. I agree a toilet would not be appropriate. If you have access to an occupational health department then use them. Mine were very useful at getting adjustments made at work and that way it's formalised and can be reviewed periodically to check it works for you.

Reactions: BeccyB

simon.davies2

Their reasonable adjustments are ' the toilet is ok to use ' . There is no sharps box to use so I have to walk through the home with exposed needles . I work an 11 hour day so it's hard to make judgments on how much insulin I give , I've had to skip a few meals so I don't use up my cartilage which means I can't change it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Their reasonable adjustments are ' the toilet is ok to use ' .

Seriously, a toilet is a dirty environment with air-borne bacteria, in return ask them if they would like to have their meals in the same toilet.

Ask for an alternative room to change your cannula if the drug room is out of bounds, an office would suffice.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Their reasonable adjustments are ' the toilet is ok to use ' . There is no sharps box to use so I have to walk through the home with exposed needles . I work an 11 hour day so it's hard to make judgments on how much insulin I give , I've had to skip a few meals so I don't use up my cartilage which means I can't change it

To be fair the vast majority of work places don't have sharps boxes! perhaps you should buy a mini sharps box to keep at work or just a small container of any kind that you can empty into a proper box once home.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would tell them to consider other options, if not, let them hear from the powers that be. Sometimes jumping up a few levels to higher management can help too. Go over your boss's head.

Walking around with exposed sharps is also a health concern.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I work in an office, so maybe a bit different, but I set up all the tubing and pump at my desk.......then only one task remains, insertion....

its the same as eating a sandwich in my opinion....

so unless your inserting in to a bit of your busy you don't want exposed to colleagues/residents there isn't an issue I can see...

There have been times where I wanted to insert in my buttocks so did go to the toilet.....its not an issue for me there either....

Reactions: BeccyB

Sarahlou404

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My partner uses an old plastic drinks bottle to put his sharps in whilst out or at work. Perhaps you could do the same.
When I was a care home manager I let my staff use my office if required and I would of never said that they'd have to use the loo!

Shadow_83uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not really a reason but it was implied I would use a residents insulin
If you are authorised to use said room as part of your job and have access how on earth does cannulating in there pose any more risk of theft that any other day you use said room
I was asked in work to use the toilet aswell however I am far from shy or embaresed when it comes to my diabetes as a few have responded I stated under no circumstances would I be using a filthy toilet to change my pump so I either continue to change at my desk or they provide me with an appropriate space in work as a reasonable adjustment. They backed down immediately I now change my pod at my desk there is a needle phobic in the office so I let them know to give me 10 mins and have had no problems at all since

We are all different but I'd point blank refuse to use the toilet not appropriate in the slightest

Reactions: azure

Shadow_83uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would tell them to consider other options, if not, let them hear from the powers that be. Sometimes jumping up a few levels to higher management can help too. Go over your boss's head.

Walking around with exposed sharps is also a health concern.
I'd never go over the bosses head until you atleast address it with them first. I assure you bypassing them without even trying to resolve always ends worse either the senior management will ask you have you raised this with your manager first or you will break down your working relationship with your immediate line manager ( perspective of a senior manager )