4 mil

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
I was having trouble with the 5 mm needles so my nurse gave me a sample of 4mm needles and they work great. They are now available on prescription (in Aberdeen anyway)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
oooh, they're not available where i am (england) well not that i'm aware of, i use 5mm on my legs and 6mm on my belly :)

I guess that would be great for kids and people on the thinner side :)

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
Oh wow had no idea about these!
I refuse to let anything bigger than the 5mm go near me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Angeldust said:
Oh wow had no idea about these!
I refuse to let anything bigger than the 5mm go near me.

I'm the same Angeldust, I could never go back to using 8mm needles again and will make enquiries at my next appointment regarding the 4mm needles.

Nigel

sunflower333

Dislikes
Being Diabetic
i started on 8 and got lots of bruises, now on 5 but a 4mm sounds fab, don't know if they have them here,i'm also going to ask at my next appointment

meisonlyme

They have 4mm needles in England. Well they do where I live anyway! As I have recently trialled them and now moved onto them permanently.

My hospital who suggested I try them is in Nottinghamshire but the practice who has prescribed them for me are in Lincolnshire.

The company who do the 4mm needles are BD Micro-fine. Which is a different company to the ones who do the 6mm needles (novofine).

I definitely prefer the 4mm!

iHs

Yes it's about time that injections were made much better for people. From what I have seen online, the 4mm needle is also thinner 8)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had no idea there were shorter needles available. I thought the 6mm that we're using were the smallest available! We're in clinic next month so I'll ask about them. Thanks for sharing the information.

iHs

Anyone who wants to use the BD Microfine 4mm needles, just see your GP and ask for a prescription. Most people using the modern insulins of normal build, will be able to get away with injecting insulin closer to the surface of the skin with no obvious problems. That's why the 4mm needle has now been marketed. It also helps to address non compliance issues raised by bolus/basal and people saying that they bruise easily and injections are painful etc. :wink:

meisonlyme

joelcam- the pip code for these needles is: 351 2878

Take that info into your GP and you might be more successful and not have to wait another month! I have heard quite a few people say that they're GP can't find it yet on the system, but if they have the pip code they find them straight away!