First holiday with pump

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
Hi folks ,
I'm on the pump since Dec 15. I am finding it great and having no issues , I'm on Medtronic paradigm 715. In August we are going on our first flight and sun holiday since I got it and have lots of questions and I'm sure there's some I haven't thought of
# Can pump go through body thing you walk through ? I know it can't go through scanner like phone
# Does the heat affect it ?
# How do you wear it in swimwear ?
# any and all advice and tips appreciated
Thanks so much

Reactions: Fitzy6343

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The airport metal detector is safe but the pump should not be X-Rayed so don't remove it or use the new full body scanner. I normally clip the pump to my waistband, going through security, making sure it's in full sight. Normally nothing is said but I am given a pat down and the pump (and occasionally my hands) swabbed.
You should carry a letter from doctor or DSN, saying you require pump etc to control your diabetes, and confirming the pump shouldn't be X-Rayed - very few people are actually asked for this.

Make sure the pump is covered ( e.g. with a towel) when sun bathing, or the insulin can be affected.

I use a swimsuit which has a bra, and clip the pump to the bra, between my boobs.

Make sure you take double the infusion sets, reservoirs, insulin, test strips, etc you would normally use in the period you are away. Remember Frio pouches for the insulin, spare emergency pens etc.

Medtronic offers a spare pump for holidays, but I haven't taken them up on this (yet). You could check the contact details for Medtronic in your holiday country (just in case of breakdown.)

Have a great time!

Reactions: Louise M

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
Thanks a million