Where am I going wrong

princess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty of any kind, violence, bitchiness, fighting,
I am a T1 diabetic with numb left hand fingers and double vision, was sent to a&e by optician and Dypopia diagnosed. I more than ever need to lower my glucose levels but my insulin does not appear to always work..I recently started using Dr Bernstein low carb diet but not to quite as severe. I'm now waking to high levels like 17/18 or as today 13. but the last 2 days I just still keep rising throughout the day in spite of large insulin doses, am more frustrated now than ever in my life before as my consultant just thinks I don't use enough insulin however can't seem to tell me why I get these phases where it just seems to do nothing, feeling like I may as well drink it for all the good its doing, sorry for moaning, I know there are worse things in life but right now not in mine. does anyone else have any ideas on this, please :cry:

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Princess :)

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your blood glucose (BG’s) levels and there is absolutely no need to apologise – it was interesting to read your comments “my insulin does not appear to always work” and “where it just seems to do nothing, feeling like I may as well drink it for all the good its doing.” :roll:

Are you by any chance using the GM synthetic analogue insulin Lantus as your basal – as your comment is a frequent comment made by some users and many ex users of Lantus. :shock:

Lantus does work well for many but it is also an unreliable analogue for others.
Very generalised but Lantus either works extremely well for you and you feel great using it or you feel absolutely c*** :!: using it due to the horrid side effects and/or it gives a user very unstable BG’s. :shock:

Do you have one injection of your basal a day or two? – whilst Lantus was marketed as a once a day basal insulin many users find it does not actually last for 24 hours hence have a split dose and take it twice a day.

Have you been provided with plenty of BG testing strips so you can take and record you BG levels – this can really help you analyse what might be going on and also help you see patterns within your BG’s.

You have to analyse:

1. Are you experiencing the dawn phenomenon (DP)? BG’s lower before bed and during night but high on waking.

2. Despite being on insulin and despite the modern idea that a Type 1 diabetic can eat anything as long as they take the insulin to cover the food you may still find that certain foods are a definite no no as they sky rocket your BG's – I have a list of no no foods which I would never ever ever eat despite the dietitians insistence that I should :lol: :lol: :lol: .

3. Do you know what your ratios of insulin to carbohydrates are – this will probably vary during the day – many diabetics are more resistant to insulin in the mornings and hence have a higher ratio of insulin to carbohydrate however not every one is the same so…
4. What time of day are you most resistant to insulin?

5. Are you finding your menstrual cycle affecting your resistance to insulin? (apologies if that does not apply to you).

6. Are your injection sites ok – have you got any fatty deposits :eek: which can reduce the effectiveness of the insulin?

7. :idea: Have you considered a change to another insulin be it animal, human synthetic or another analogue. You can change basal and/or bolus? You can also mix and match to find the right insulin combination for you i.e. an animal basal with an analogue bolus for example.

One of the many challenges for us is to get an insulin regime that is effective for us as individuals and not as a homogenised group of diabetics :!:
Also both the bolus and basal insulin’s have to work in harmony together – if your basal for example is not working effectively then the bolus insulin has in effect got to do the work of both which it might struggle to do hence BG levels remain high.

You’ve written that your consultant feels you insulin doses might need increasing – this is often a doctors immediate and only response :roll: :roll: when insulin users complain that their insulin may not be working - certainly there are times when increasing insulin can help but if insulin dose does continue to rise and rise and still BG’s remain high then its actually time to consider trying another insulin.

Whilst some Type 1’s remain on the same insulin for years and years with good effect others do get a type of insulin resistance (not the same as Type 2 insulin resistance) therefore a change to either another type of insulin or another insulin within the same group type can be helpful.
There is anecdotal evidence that some users of analogue insulin’s are getting insulin resistance sooner than those using animal and human synthetic insulin.

Sorry :( I don’t have an immediate quick fix solution for you.

Hope some of the above might be helpful.

Best wishes :)

Txx

princess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
kewgirl thank you soooo much :!: I cannot describe the relief of hearing from someone who has obviously an understanding of what its like and that it is possible that it could actually be the insulin rather than me. I have managed to get some foods sorted re effect and, heavy carbs as I call them ie chips chocolate, certain yoghurt, and cakes etc, If I am tempted I know its a hefty dose and they seem to sting, usually I can say double to 3 times the dose needed so I try to avoid them as much as my taste buds will allow. Also it is very true that the medics seem in general to just plump for higher doses and are reluctant to change the type of insulin , something which I will now put to them. At the moment I do seem to be having high morning readings but almost like it sets me off on wrong foot, it can continue and I spend the day playing catchup and correcting, however I am keeping food diary and recording everything, even writing my frustrations in my diary cos then they will see how it affects my mood and well being. As an almost lifelong veggie I would find it hard to use an animal insulin but also want a life preferably with eyes that function properly, the dyplopia is an awful thing and I have much more understanding of the difficultiesfaced by people with sight problems, it can be so debilitating as moving around too much causes dizzyness and nausea. I will check all of your suggestions and cannot thank you enough for your interest and time. :)

princess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
P.s I am on Lantus :|