Newly diagnosed, confused about carbs

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday was a bad day, I felt so hungry, even after a bacon egg and mushroom breakfast, could have murdered a steak Pie, but I didn't succumb. Had a glass of red wine which turned into 3. Just befor I went to bed did my BG just to see what damage I'd done, It was 6.7, yeah that means I can drink a bottle of wine a day ( only kidding, had friends visiting). This morning sunday I thougth lets see what special K and milk does to my bg, which was 6.4 upon waking 2 hours later it was 6.6, so once again the odd treat of Special K will not go amiss. After 2 weeks of confusion I seem to be getting the hang of this. Thanks to all those who have offered my encouragment since joining the forum, feel less lonely now. Cheers people !!!

dazwalshe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Buy a book, Think like a pancreas..brilliant... amongst all the interesting facts ..is this one: The three major nutrients in food are Carb, Protein and Fat. Proteins effect on Blood sugar is minimal..EXCEPT when little or no carb is consumed. without dietary carb to provide glucose for meeting the body's energy needs the liver will convert protein to glucose.. and will take a couple of hours to do so...

Yazza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 weeks ago today. I had blood test for a hospital visit, the nurse said had I eaten anything that day I replied shredded wheat , milk, two rounds of toast and jam, she said it didn't matter as she wasn't doing a diabetes test . A few days later \I get a call from my surgery saying the doctor wanted to see me. This is when he said I had diabetes, I was stunned !!! I'm 17st , badly overweight so not totally unexpected, he gave me a prescription and said cut out sugar and I'll see you in a month.
After the initial shock I though " right low carb here we come !!" . A few days later I bought a sd codefree meter and began testing BG varied from 6.1 to 8.9 but I'm still getting to grip with when to do it. < stops for breath>
Here's my question this morning my BG was 4.9 hurrah, really, really pleased had myself scrambled egg and a slice or 2 of smoked salmon with a couple of cherry tomatoes. Just tested my BG again before my lunch and it's 6.9 , what has made it rise ???

ps since being diagnosed I've lost 7 pounds
I have been recently diagnosed and really have not got a clue cut out carbs but finding eating really hard no one has explained anything to me so working in the dark l am in need of help please

Reactions: goosey39

Yazza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been recently diagnosed and really have not got a clue cut out carbs but finding eating really hard no one has explained anything to me so working in the dark l am in need of help please
I have lost almost a stone in weight but l want to eat sensibly

Reactions: goosey39

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lost almost a stone in weight but l want to eat sensibly
I eat sensibly and have low carb ish diet, if we have a hot dinner, i have the same as my husband just no potatoes, i cant eat rice or pasta as spikes my sugar too much
However i am lucky i can eat fruit

Onwunyirigbo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was just diagnosed 2 days ago, with hba1c of 8.2. When I test at home I always get from 6.1 to 6.9. But when I tested at a lab and pharmacy it's still 8.2 and yesterday 9.3 with blood taken from my wrist. Pls help, y is it so

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

Are you comparing like with like? An HbA1c is a rough average of blood glucose levels over the previous 2 to 3 months. A finger prick test is snapshot of your blood glucose level in your capillary blood at the ttime of the test. You can't compare the two as they are not the same.

What sort of tests were the ones at the lab and pharmacy?