Any one else have a GP like this?

JVH2310

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On the issue of dropping so much - this has happened to me recently. On several nights over a couple of weeks my bg started dropping around bedtime and I had to eat between 70 and 140g of carbs to get back up. It was exhausting and impossible to predict. Then it just stopped. That was about six weeks ago and I haven’t had a drop like that since. My diabetes gp didn't have a clue and even my diabetes nurse didn't understand it. I'm just hoping it never happens again, which isn't much of a plan! It's had a big psychological effect on me though and I'm only just starting to feel "safe" again. I'm still running my bg higher than it should be - which for a long time was because I was scared of the drop happening again - but now is just because I'm having trouble getting it down again. The whole episode did spur me into getting a Libre, though, which has been brilliant! :)

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Last night for no apparent reason I started dropping got to the stage of eating 100g of carbs and still dropping. 1.9 called 999 as live alone and couldn't really move (too busy so would be an hour) so called a friend and after 3 hours was sorted.

Rang my GP today to say despite them not wanting to prescribe Glucagen Hypokit I really needed one I would even pay privately. She argued a bit and then asked "Okay have you ever had a hypo before though"

Surely everyone has had a hypo, right? right?
Have a GP just like that eg " shouldn't eat anything sweet (even when hypo) because it causes pancreas to produce more insulin so therefore contributory to another hypo" (I HAVE BEEN TYPE 1 FOR 56 YEARS--have no insulin). "Should eat low GI food to stop hypos" (error--tried that--caused more hypos because of very slow release of amount of CHO eaten). "You have metabolic disorder"--Error --I have AUTOIMMUNE DISORDER............could go on (& on & on) but risk becoming extremely boring. Oh just going to add that hospital diabetes consultant is no better: When I enquired about a CGM, 3 years ago, he told me that they were only for diagnostic purposes. .........how wrong can a diabetes consultant be----sorry but I think it is all political to a) save money & b) medics are told how they s/b educating those with diabetes, unfortunately it isn't always the right way!!! Also think that there is tremendous confusion, on part of medics, re type 1 & type 2 diabetes (& they see far more type 2s)--eg am now 63 & docs seem to assume therefore that I have metabolic disorder which contributed to diagnosis of diabetes--this is in spite of, when asked, my telling them I have had diabetes 56 years--they obviously think I have dementia too so ability to count has been impeded.............sorry for facetiousness ---is a coping mechanism on my part........

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah well your consultant probably still believes in the Tooth Fairy too. Children and pregnant ladies and not adults like us. Yeah that makes sense, I get it now (rolls eyes).
Long standing diabetes causes lessened/ non recognised symptoms of hypoglycaemia --usually going back to animal insulin, which induces more pronounced hypo symptoms, sorts problems of this sort, out. However had to fight t/b prescribed animal insulin once more--consultant told me I would have more hypos of increased severity meaning I would forever have to rely on others to pick me up off the floor. Fortunately he did prescribe what I wanted (after very lengthy discussions with me) and what he suggested didn't ever occur.........

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is it? I've never been prescribed with anything like that or knew I needed one.

I had taken 10u for dinner 4 hours previously, as per ratio this was correct. 100g was in lucozade, bananas, and the jordans frusil bars.
I was not allowed a hypokit after the cut down on medications recently. I was told by my GP that there is no need as I can look after myself.
You can report this type of GP response & suggest you do so. I did that when my Mother's GP refused to prescribe something that she needed. The outcome was that a prescription was sent directly to the local chemist and boxes of the medication were delivered to her door!!!!!

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have a GP just like that eg " shouldn't eat anything sweet (even when hypo) because it causes pancreas to produce more insulin so therefore contributory to another hypo" (I HAVE BEEN TYPE 1 FOR 56 YEARS--have no insulin). "Should eat low GI food to stop hypos" (error--tried that--caused more hypos because of very slow release of amount of CHO eaten). "You have metabolic disorder"--Error --I have AUTOIMMUNE DISORDER............could go on (& on & on) but risk becoming extremely boring. Oh just going to add that hospital diabetes consultant is no better: When I enquired about a CGM, 3 years ago, he told me that they were only for diagnostic purposes. .........how wrong can a diabetes consultant be----sorry but I think it is all political to a) save money & b) medics are told how they s/b educating those with diabetes, unfortunately it isn't always the right way!!! Also think that there is tremendous confusion, on part of medics, re type 1 & type 2 diabetes (& they see far more type 2s)--eg am now 63 & docs seem to assume therefore that I have metabolic disorder which contributed to diagnosis of diabetes--this is in spite of, when asked, my telling them I have had diabetes 56 years--they obviously think I have dementia too so ability to count has been impeded.............sorry for facetiousness ---is a coping mechanism on my part........
ALSO--if ever I ask GP or consultant questions--I never, ever get an answer--instead they revert into Maybot mode and repeat a phrase again & again (which doesn't answer my question).......

Reactions: spook_kate_

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh &, BTW, I have never been prescribed Glyco stop or anything else similar. Also never been approached re a yellow bin for used needles---not once in 56 years of type 1, Saw GP in Jan 17 and she actually asked me if I had a yellow bin. When I said that I had never been asked if I wanted one she said my binmen (think she meant waste disposal operatives) must love me (who is at fault though? It's not as if I put needles/ lancets in bin without protective covers which come with the needles), seemed like transference of guilt, to me!!!!!

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there @rorshach
I would be interested to know where in the sequence of events on Monday evening you took your background insulin dose ( if indeed you take it in the evening )
are you taking Lantus ??

Hey there, I took it in the morning as per new instructions (about 2 months ago) I am taking Lantus. I'm seeing my DSN tomorrow as my GP referred me urgently last week as apparently "I'm no longer looking after my diabetes". It might be stupid but I really think it was the heat, it is the only change that I hadn't accounted for.

(Feeling pretty low , sorry if reply is useless)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
large sigh here -- your GP won't really have a clue and will have no idea of how hard you are working on your D every day.

glad you have an appt with DSN !!

heat could be a factor !!

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
large sigh here -- your GP won't really have a clue and will have no idea of how hard you are working on your D every day.

glad you have an appt with DSN !!

heat could be a factor !!

I'm hoping to get further with my ask for a pump. Maybe that will help. I've been told by GP to self fund a cgm because my hypo awareness is apparently "awful".

I AM really trying but I'm also sick and trying to work 14hr shifts so I may have messed up.

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Is it? I've never been prescribed with anything like that or knew I needed one.
I had to ask my GP for one on my prescription which he happily obliged. But yes it should be mandatory, surely?

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
I'm hoping to get further with my ask for a pump. Maybe that will help. I've been told by GP to self fund a cgm because my hypo awareness is apparently "awful".

I AM really trying but I'm also sick and trying to work 14hr shifts so I may have messed up.
Oh pet. Give yourself a much needed break...

Reactions: himtoo

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Get yourself referred to hospital care, your gp sounds appalling. From your 1st post you spotted your hypo and it wasn't coming up. That sounds like hypo awareness to me. The heat majorly affects most of us. If he thinks you need a cgm he should be pushing for an nhs funded one not making you feel guilty about not having one which you may not be able to afford.

He sounds out of his depth and ashamed to admit it to you so he's blaming the patient.

Stay strong and get yourself referred for consultant led care. You can self refer.

saruhbeau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had to inject glucogon myself before. I don't think it is pointless having it in the house if you live alone. Yes I understand they recommend that it is only used when you're unconcious but if my blood glucose is 1.1 like it was and I am alone, and know I am going to go unconcious, then I am going to do anything I can to prevent that.

That has only ever happened to me once in 19 years of having t1 luckily! Of course it should not be used for a regular hypo that is responsive to oral glucose but if my bg isn't rising no matter what I do then that is the best action in my opinion. I think all t1s should have a glucogen pen available!

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for being so nice. X
My pleasure we are all stuck in this together and when times are rough, boy do they get rough. I used to work 12hr night shifts and that royally #@! $ me up, so massive empathy there. We are the only ones who can help ourselves and at times that is so challenging, any bit of support/understanding that we can get from fellow diabetics helps xx

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much training do your GP's get there? I presume they are physicians not nurse practicioners. Here to be a primary care physician you do 4 years of med school and 3 years of residency (either internal medicine or family practice).

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
How much training do your GP's get there? I presume they are physicians not nurse practicioners. Here to be a primary care physician you do 4 years of med school and 3 years of residency (either internal medicine or family practice).
Pretty much the same here in Ireland, 7 years altogether, think UK is similar. And yeah the GP is a General Practitioner, a doctor

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an update to say the DSN was amazing and gave my GP a talking to. Unfortunately the hypos are linked to the cancer I have just found out I have. I now have hypokits and so many glucogel. I've paid for a CGM for the next month. Thank you all for commenting and I really hope your journeys go smoothly.
Definitely get your DSN to kick your GP to touch

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Just an update to say the DSN was amazing and gave my GP a talking to. Unfortunately the hypos are linked to the cancer I have just found out I have. I now have hypokits and so many glucogel. I've paid for a CGM for the next month. Thank you all for commenting and I really hope your journeys go smoothly.
Definitely get your DSN to kick your GP to touch
Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear that!! What a blow! Take it easy... x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think gp confused you with a type2 with only IR insulin dependency.