Neuropathy

georginaanne

Diabetic Neuropathy

I have been diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy and my doctor has prescribed amitriptyline 10mg twice daily for the pain. As this is an anti-depressant I am just a bit worried about taking it - anyone else taking this ??????!!!!!! Plz help.

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
Re: Diabetic Neuropathy

It's a tricyclic anti-depressant but not in the same dose as that used to target neuropathy. So it's ok..give it a try and see how you get on. If it fails there are other options (anti convulsants) so don't panic or stress yourself!

Amitryptaline and I did not get along...gave me terrible nightmares.

georginaanne

I am suffering a lot of pain with this neuropathy and my doc has prescribed various drugs so far but all of which attack the organs so have had to take them for a short time only. Could anyone with neuropathy please tell me what they are taking as I need something to ask my doc for before it drives me totally round the bend. I have it all down the right sight and also the upper arm and shoulder on the left side. :?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Can you tell us which drugs you have been on ? Are you still on Amitriptyline ?

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
Hey there
My drug of choice is v low carb diet. Has cured my what was chronic neuropathy. What is your diet like? Could be that it feeds your pain. And if it's not working then time to change. You only have the pain to lose!

Dobbs

I really agree that reducing your blood sugar level and keeping it low is the absolutely best way to improve neuropathy. It won't do it overnight but it will do it. Maintaining good levels for weeks and months on end is the way to go.
When I had neuropathy quite badly I used, for about nine months or so, a cocktail of vitamin supplements (alpha lipoic acid, GLA, vitamin C) which I think helped me although it's hard to be sure. At a certain point I stopped, as my low-carbing was already producing good results. Haven't taken the vitamins since and my neuropathy is practically non-existent (only in my feet, pretty mildly).

john-rv

amitriptyline suppresses pain to the brain.

I have just had my big toe off as poisoned toes had damage the bone.

Was in hospital for 4 weeks and antibiotic finally did there job saving me another 6 weeks predicted while i may have been on vacuum bandage which was not used in the end.

Do all you can to live healthier, I have been diabtetic for years longer than diagnosed as most who have neuropathy have.

You cant cure it but can help it lifestyle wise.

georginaanne

No the amitriptyline was just making me sleep all the time and at the moment I am taking co-dydromol but that is a short term drug also so have been taking it at night mainly to help get a better sleep but was forced to take it this morning and must say my pain has been well under control today

Dippy3103

I was prescribed amnitryptiline a few years ago for pain following a car accident. It gave me a great nights sleep and seemed to help the pain. The downside was it left me with hangover like symptoms the next morning, but this was outweighed by the reduced pain and the decent sleep that i was getting.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Whilst amitriptyline is indeed a anti-depressant, it is also used to treat nerve pain such as neuropathy. I was put on this last year due to a condition unrelated to my diabetes, and as Dippy says, slept well (they would knock a horse out) but woke every morning tired and lifeless and it wasn't till late in the day that I felt better. They do tend to leave you a little spaced out (well they did with me) but are very effective and do manage pain rather well.

Nigel

Westie74

I am a T2 - diagnosed Sept '09. Although not connected in any way to diabetes, I suffer from something called Trigeminal Neuralgia - a nerve illness. I am taking a drug called Carbamazepine - which as I understand it works on the same principle as amitriyptiline. It does take different doses for different people to get the pain under control and some of the side effects can be quite nasty. Have a word with your Dr to see whether he thinks it would be something that could work for you, also do some research yourself - especially with carbamazepine - so that you are more informed when you walk into the Dr's office.

Hope you get things sorted soon, all the best.

Vik