Amputation

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Worried about my dad. He's type 2 and he's currently in York hospital. He has been suffering from bad circulation in his foot. They blew his veins earlier this week and has had a few low hypos and now they have decided to take his big toe off. Despite my nagging him over the years to test his levels he didn't take his condition seriously. It's so frustrating.

A couple of months ago he had his first hypo which really scared him. I said welcome to my world, it's not nice is it. Now my mum tests him every morning.

It's really tough for him at the moment.

To top it off my daughter has just dyed her hair a shocking pink. My dad will have a fit when he sees it.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Worried about my dad. He's type 2 and he's currently in York hospital. He has been suffering from bad circulation in his foot. They blew his veins earlier this week and has had a few low hypos and now they have decided to take his big toe off. Despite my nagging him over the years to test his levels he didn't take his condition seriously. It's so frustrating.

A couple of months ago he had his first hypo which really scared him. I said welcome to my world, it's not nice is it. Now my mum tests him every morning.

To top it off my daughter has just dyed her hair a shocking pink. My dad will have a fit when he sees it.

Sorry to hear this. I hope his operation goes smoothly. Perhaps it will be the kick up the backside he needs to take care of his condition a little better?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Aawww, sending your dad speedy get wishes and giving you a (((((((((((((BIG HUG ))))))))))))))), take care of yourself x

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps he and his granddaughter can have some sort of agreement, she'll let her hair colour grow out if he keeps his blood sugars under control!???!

Wishing and hoping you all get through this...........pink hair........shocking!;)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi Lorraine 1973 sorry to hear about your dad hope all goes well with surgery and he makes a speedy recovery being a grandfather myself to a 17 year old I never know what to expect next sending you and your dad best wishes for the future good luck.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
now they have decided to take his big toe off.

My dad had the toe next to the big toe removed a few years back. His treatment included maggots to eat the infection and leeches to help circulation. He was in hospital for seven weeks. I hope your father's experience is far more straight forward. Best wishes.

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Went to see dad last night. He's not good. They have discovered he has a chest infection so they can't operate until that's gone. He's not eating and has a hypo in the early hours, lowest being 2.5.

I'm very concerned. I have asked that he be evaluated for depression as he has no get up and go anymore. It's sad to see him like this as he has always been active.

He's going to be in there awhile I think.

Thank you all for your best wishes I will keep you all updated x

Reactions: donnellysdogs

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

Denial is a frequently encountered problem with diabetes. I have been there, and it nearly cost me my life. Now maybe this person will realise what he is up against. Do not give up hope. Where there is life - there is hope. I wish you good fortune and much success.

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
Went to see dad last night. He's not good. They have discovered he has a chest infection so they can't operate until that's gone. He's not eating and has a hypo in the early hours, lowest being 2.5.

I'm very concerned. I have asked that he be evaluated for depression as he has no get up and go anymore. It's sad to see him like this as he has always been active.

He's going to be in there awhile I think.

Thank you all for your best wishes I will keep you all updated x

I've seen reactions like these in people waiting for amputations before. It's a sudden shock and often they feel very guilty when it is related to blood sugar control. Often times they would not tell their family or doctor so often they cannot be referred to professional help. But then again, it is often times not needed, just having a good quality talk with someone can help. Are there any nurses you could reach out to at the hospital, perhaps? Or perhaps you yourself could have a good talk with him? Mostly, I would say that he probably does feel a lot of guilt, so avoiding saying things that make him feel like he did this to himself, no matter what caused it, is probably for the best. At least at this point.
I hope that you and your father feel better as this thread was made over a week ago. I just figured I would share my thoughts.

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. I've always been very factual with my dad regards to his diabetes and always nagging him. This has scared him.

Thankfully he is back home now stressing my mum out. He's had an infection in his toe since the beginning of the year, docs put him on various meds to get rid of it but it got to the point where it had to come off. During his stay he was having hypos every morning. Lowest 2.4. Asked the nurses what they where doing about it as I was concerned that a pattern was forming.

Have point blankly told my dad repeatedly that if he doesn't look after himself he will end up T1. Have recommended loads of stuff to him till I'm Blue in the face.

I think his depression was due to the pain he was in as he does seem a lot better in himself now.

Fingers crossed that this experience has given him a reality check and bodies do have an expiry date.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have point blankly told my dad repeatedly that if he doesn't look after himself he will end up T1.

Um. You don't end up type 1 by not looking after yourself. Type 2 diabetes doesn't turn into type 1 diabetes just because a type 2 diabetic starts taking insulin. A type 2 diabetic may end up an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic, but they will still be type 2 and not type 1.

Glad to hear your dad seems to have a bit more get up and go back at home.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope your dad's feeling better @Lorraine1973 and that you and your mum are feeling more relaxed now that he's home. As long as your daughter's new hair colour isn't a problem at school I'd tell her how fabulous she looks. It's hard trying to figure out what suits you when you are young and you're bound to make mistakes. I ended up with green hair when I put a temporary blue colour on for a party and my blonde highlights absorbed the dye. I cried my eyes out for a week but it did wash out eventually. Make sure you take lots of pictures, you'll all smile at her pink hair in the future. X

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope your dad's feeling better @Lorraine1973 and that you and your mum are feeling more relaxed now that he's home. As long as your daughter's new hair colour isn't a problem at school I'd tell her how fabulous she looks. It's hard trying to figure out what suits you when you are young and you're bound to make mistakes. I ended up with green hair when I put a temporary blue colour on for a party and my blonde highlights absorbed the dye. I cried my eyes out for a week but it did wash out eventually. Make sure you take lots of pictures, you'll all smile at her pink hair in the future. X
Haha she's had loads of different colours. The blue faze would not wash out at all ended up being an aqua colour for weeks. Had to get my hairdresser friend it. But the pink seems to be washing out fairly quickly, now a mixture of blonde and like a bubblegum pink x

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Um. You don't end up type 1 by not looking after yourself. Type 2 diabetes doesn't turn into type 1 diabetes just because a type 2 diabetic starts taking insulin. A type 2 diabetic may end up an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic, but they will still be type 2 and not type 1.

Glad to hear your dad seems to have a bit more get up and go back at home.
Meant that but wasn't sure of terminology x