Burnout

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Guys

So sorry for being a whinge but today I think I have finally reached burnout. I am so sick of diabetes. Every single part of it is exhausting and I dont feel like I can be bothered anymore. Have not stopped crying all day as all I can think of is, this is my life. Forever.
Ive had this for 7 years and been mostly ok but the last few weeks I have been properly struggling. The heat hasnt helped of course and all the flippin hypos!! Grrrr
I know todays the rock bottom and I'll keep looking after myself but hoping sharing with you guys you could mayb reassure me that it gets easier!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
See photo below for a T1 awareness campaign. You could replace "small children" with "grown adults" and it'd still be true.

The look on that dog's puss always makes me laugh: "why is my owner making me wear wings?" Or is it a cape, I don't know?

images (2).jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Guys

So sorry for being a whinge but today I think I have finally reached burnout. I am so sick of diabetes. Every single part of it is exhausting and I dont feel like I can be bothered anymore. Have not stopped crying all day as all I can think of is, this is my life. Forever.
Ive had this for 7 years and been mostly ok but the last few weeks I have been properly struggling. The heat hasnt helped of course and all the flippin hypos!! Grrrr
I know todays the rock bottom and I'll keep looking after myself but hoping sharing with you guys you could mayb reassure me that it gets easier!

It can be hard at times @Lynz84 , diabetes and everything that goes with it can leave an emotional toll on some. You sound as though you are over whelmed and it's too much at the moment. Have you spoken to your GP about how you are feeling ? Controlling and managing diabetes can be a challenge for anybody living with the condition – but remember, you’re never alone. Try and take little steps and set small goals for yourself and don't forget to reward yourself :)
Sending a big (((((((((((((( HUG )))))))))))))) x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you can give us some more information we may be able to suggest some actions to help? Are you on Basal/Bolus regime? Are you carb counting for meals? Have you balanced the Basal? Are you having a low-carb diet and what is your BMI? You shouldn't be having many hypos and the fact that you are implies some changes could be made to reduce them. Sorry if I'm sounding like teaching grand-mother to suck eggs but you may not have had good guidance from your GP or DN

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Lynz84 I completely understand that feeling, I think we all can and have been through it at some point! I've definitely reached burnout for the first time since being diagnosed and it's hard because although you feel that way you've no choice but to keep going! Managing those hypos in warm heat is tough, I was the same - it wears you down. You will absolutely get through this burnout, just focus on you and looking after yourself! Sometimes when you have work and other things to think about we don't give our D the focus we should so just get back to basics with basal tests etc to try and feel that little more in control. It's what I plan on doing (once I get over this bug I've caught!) and it should help spot any little issues that might be making things more difficult. Try not to let it get you down though, I always think that anyone with a chronic condition is so strong, you'll get through it :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
all I can think of is, this is my life. Forever.

Well, yes, absent some miracle cure, it pretty much is, but there are ways of dealing with that.

I often get narked by the randomness of T1, that sense of, ok, I've done the carb counting, calculated the bolus, took account of the last six and the next six hours, GI, fat content, weather, etc.etc., and it still throws me a blinder.

But then I take a deep breath and say to myself, ok, dude, that one didn't work out too well, but I'm lucky enough to live in a country where I'm being given sophisticated insulin for free, and only need to take some sweets to sort out hypos.

I then compare that to how T1s inevitably died pre-discovery in 1922 (and for a long time after until production and distribution got up to speed), how Eva Saxl made her own insulin from water buffalo pancreases during a war, and how lots of T1s in 3rd world countries would kill for what I have.

None of it seems that much of a problem after looking at it that way.

Also, recently, I've been thinking of it not as an enemy which I'm constantly fighting, but as a little bit of my body has stopped working so I need to help it out. That way, it's not confrontational, it's co-operation, and I can forgive myself if it goes wrong now and then.

Best of luck!

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aw thank u so much everyone for ur advice and support! Just a bad few days after being ground down but you are so right that things could b much worse!

Reactions: spook_kate_

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I'm down like that I usually get dolled up go into town and have a hot drink by myself at neros. It cheers me up and in a mind boggling way takes away a bit of stress. Point being do something out of the norm and cheer yourself up.

Big hugs to you x

Reactions: isjoberg and Bon83

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't let the b&*+# Type 1 get to you @Lynz84

We all know what it's like. It's a total pain. Just take one day at a time and don't get down about the erratic sugars.

Does it get easier? Yes, I think it does, in a way, because you perfect your way of dealing with it psychologically.

Keep going and congratulate yourself for every 'win' no matter how small.

Reactions: Dodo and Bon83

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the same old ****, it doesn't change how ever many years you've managed it.

You'll get through these tough patches. Keep testing and injecting, bit by bit try to understand it. Self education goes a lot further than what a doctor can tell you in 10minutes.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh @Lynz84 this diseases is, in the words of George RR Martin referring to something else, "3 b*****s and a b******". I think that about sums it up, really.

Something that really helps me, on my lowest days, when I am really struggling with it, is to set myself small goals. 3 tests a day. Injections with every meal. Numbers between 5 and 15. Remind yourself that actually, you are boss. Because we are. Each and everyone of us fighting this, we are the Boss. The diabetes monster gets too big for its boots sometimes, and I think that's when we start to feel burnt out. So set some small, achievable goals, and before you know it, you'll start to squish it back down into the tiny box it belongs in.