Type 1 Who uses lantus solo star and has experienced faulty pens?

Pepe1895

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have been using lantus solo star pens for a good 5 years now. I am always having trouble with faulty pens. I can dial up the dosage I want to take but then the pen jams itself and won't release any insulin. It doesn't happen all the time but is very annoying when it does. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? And if so have they found a way to fix the problem? I do store my insulin in the fridge and am not sure if that's the cause. I live in New Zealand where the temperature is quiet warm so don't want to risk leaving it out in warm air.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi I use solo star pens pre filled and yes from time to time my pen plays up you can always ask to go on to refillible pens ones that take 3ml cartridges I find there a bit easier to use don't know how your system works in new Zealand but you can ask hope this helps good luck.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pre-pump I was using the Lantus Solostar Pens, did have a couple jam and overall I found the pens to be quite flimsy, I'd do as @Dairygrade has suggested and just change to a non-disposable pen that takes the 3ml cartridges.

Don't know if they are available in NZ but the Frio Wallets are great for keeping insulin and insulin pens cool.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I use the lantus solostar pens.... I don't have much issues with them. I think I've only had a couple of jams since I've been using it. I had a jam with my apidra (also by solostar) the other day but that was my needle... changed needles and no jamming.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
No problems with Lantus Solo Star or Apidra as long as I change needles. Always set on 2 and flush first before taking normal dosage

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use lantus solostar and novorapid, never had a problem with either - although sometimes my finger presses on the dial blocking it from moving.. that's more me than the pen though

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use lantus and don't notice it jamming but it doesn't do the same thing every day. I think the dose isn't always the same. I eat the same macro dinner everynignt and usually go to bed in the 80's. Take 2 units and some nights I drop like a rock 40 US ) and some nights I ha e. A30 point rise.

Refillable pens aren t available here.

As a side note I just had my refillable humalog pen jamming and not delivering so I called and they're replacing it. Good thing I had a back up!!

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes! I've had a few jam up on me!
When injecting i push a couple of units and then pull my finger/thumb of the dial completely for a second and do the whole does like that.

I havent had any problems since ive started doing it like that