Libre vs Dexcom G5

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently use a Freestyle Libre, and I love it. However, I've just had my second dodgy sensor in a row - this one wouldn't even start up, and the accuracy is not always fantastic. I also like the idea of getting alerts when I'm going to low, as particularly when it is hot like it has been lately, I sometimes struggle to tell the difference between low and high. I have also *finally* been referred to the pump clinic in my area for assessment, and I know that the dexcom can link up with some pumps. Basically, which do people prefer? For people who have used both, how does the pricing compare? Which is more accurate?

Reactions: GrantGam

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I took one look at a video of inserting a dexcom sensor... there's no way I could handle that!

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using a Libre since October last year, and I really like it. However, I've just had my second dodgy sensor in a row - this one wouldn't even start up - and the accuracy is not consistent. I've finally been referred for a pump, and I know that the Dexcom can link up with some pumps, and I also like the idea of getting an alert when I'm going low, as in this hot weather in particular I have struggled to tell the difference between high and low. So I have a couple of questions, especially for anyone who has used both.

-How does the accuracy compare?
-Outright, the Dexcom is obviously more expensive, although they do have an offer on at the moment. How does it really compare in the long run, price wise?
-Which do people 'prefer'?

Thank you!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@EllsKBells - I think I answer all your questions relating to accuracy in this post: http://www.diabettech.com/cgm/whats...n-easy-question-with-a-more-difficult-answer/

My experiences with the G5 are that it is a lot better than the Libre in terms of closeness to BG levels, and is my preferred sensor/transmitter pair for running a closed loop system. That you can also calibrate it as part of the set-up is also good.

The G5 doesn't currently link up with any pumps, you'd have to use the G4 for that, and in the UK, the G4 doesn't come with the 505 algorithm, so has a MARD slightly worse than the Libre. The other thing about the G5 is that the Clarke Error Grid compliance is 92% zone A and 99.5% Zones A+B, which is very good.

If you go with the G5 Dexcom, and use an Android phone with the xDrip+ software, you can get about 140 days out of a transmitter, so for me, with 16 days per G5 sensor, my annualised cost with the G5 is about £1675.

With the libre, again using only an Android phone and Librelink software, you pay about £1225.

On the G4 with about 21 days of good sensor use, I annualise at around £1200 as the sensors last longer and I was able to get a G4 transmitter without a receiver and use open source builds for capturing the data. If you have to buy a Dexcom receiver, it works out at about £1400 for the G4, but if you get an Animas pump, you don't need the receiver.

Lots to think about there though, so good luck!

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000s thanks, that's really helpful!

In your experience, what's the failure rate like for the Dexcom sensors? Like I said, I've just had my second outright failure in a row, which is quite annoying, because it means I'm without one at the moment, and I hadn't realised how used to it I am - it's so strange not to be able to just scan.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s thanks, that's really helpful!

In your experience, what's the failure rate like for the Dexcom sensors? Like I said, I've just had my second outright failure in a row, which is quite annoying, because it means I'm without one at the moment, and I hadn't realised how used to it I am - it's so strange not to be able to just scan.
Pretty low. I think in the last six months I've had, maybe one I remember.

The other thing with the Dexcom sensors is that if they do have a couple of bad days, they can be restarted (even in the official app on an android or iPhone) and will normally recover, as they are not dependent on the factory calibration.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
libre sensor just when i needed a second line of recording blood sugars as i need to be more in line and not have high blood sugar s the new sensor failed .
would not start after an hour on arm just said sensor finished .
must say got on to free style libre ,phoned do some check on the reader they sent a new sensor free of charge ,plus 2 new ones which i ordered now working to try and keep blood sugars a bit more in line tough like this morning working in garden go low so will now have to eat more carbs and drop insulin
very high tech these sensors so can understand when go wrong
vic on insulin

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@azure When make an enquiry on their website - you can't see anything straight up without giving them everything up to and including your inside leg measurement (not really, but it feels like that) they eventually get back to you, with more details and a price list, and they apparently have a 'temporary' offer on. I use the word temporary because you know what these companies are like.

I've attached a screenshot of the email.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 19.18.50.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 19.18.50.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 473

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used both.

I started with the Libre and loved it. Really quite accurate, once you got your head around the delay in the reading. Easy to install, test as often as you like, readings stored for overnight & trend information. Two weeks life for the sensor made it just about affordable, given the benefits. I had to stop using it as I developed an allergy to either the adhesive or the filament, meaning that sensors kept coming off and leaving a horrible mess underneath. Whilst, Abbotts were very good at replacing, the itchyness and sores left made it impossible to continue.

Currently, I'm using the G5, made possible by not having to buy the receiver and the special offer available to new users. Firstly, installing is a bit different to the Libre, but is just a painless. If you've used Libre putting the sensor in is no harder. You just need to follow the steps on the installation video. Once installed with the transmitter installed, I found no problem pairing the phone & transmitter. There's a 2 hour warm up, followed by a call for two blood sugar readings for calibration. I've found, with the first sensor, that the first week was very accurate, rate of change and alarm settings worked a treat.
At the end of the first week, I restarted the sensor, in common with many others. This hasn't been as successful as others have found, with the sensor being poor at rate of change and often a couple of units out (bearing in mind the time differences between blood and interstitial fluid). The sensor is still giving readings at the moment so I'll keep going with it until it shows the signs that it's done for. I will persevere with the other 3 sensors, though, and make a decision after that. Financially for me, this will only work out if I can make the sensors last 2 weeks at a time. Occasional use id also ruled out by the transmitter's 3 month life. There has also been no irritation or feeling that the sensor is going to come loose.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded, hope it helps.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrantGam I look forward to your inevitably insightful thoughts!

@jackois without the receiver, how much data can you see? I was talking to someone the other day who could only keep 24 hours of data at once, and one of the things I like about the libre is the way you can scroll back through.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

@jackois without the receiver, how much data can you see? I was talking to someone the other day who could only keep 24 hours of data at once, and one of the things I like about the libre is the way you can scroll back through.
I don't have a receiver, I just use my phone. But instead of the official app I use xdrip+, as I can go back to day 1 of my BG data, I can download reports and it also extends the life of the transmitter past that of the 3 months dexcom allow. That has made the G5 cost effective for me. It also doesn't time out after a week, it just keeps going until you stop the sensor.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

That's correct,

However, you can go online and use Dexcom Clarity. You access this through the main Dexcom site and it gives you your history, very similar to the Freestyle Libre programme that you can download to your computer. Clarity allows you to make reports, compare days, spot trends in very much the same way.