Type 1 Blood sugar rollercoaster after splitting lantus

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Started to split my lantus dose last night and my blood sugars have been all over the place today. Is this normal?
I normally take 24 units so i took 12 at 10pm last night and 12 at 10am this morning.
If this is normal how long should i give it to settle down?
Thanks!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot split my lantus without rollercoastering. More hypos than spikes even with one unit. I was eating all day. My lantus is all gone by morning so I just use my humalog for the day.
There are many who do split it and do fine. My doc advised me to not split it. I have the morning rises so I thought it would help there. He said nope.

I think I've read levimere is easier to split. Not sure as I've always only taken lantus

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The manufacturer says to allow 3 days for the changes to take effect, but as said yesterday on your other thread I've no experience of slitting lantus, what I would suggest though is if you don't succeed with the split-dose ask to change to Tresiba, it's a newish basal insulin that is injected once a day and is said to last up to 42 hours, a few members on the forum use Tresiba including @robert72

Reactions: robert72

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did try splitting lantus for a while to try and smooth out my basal, but it was still erratic for me. I changed to Tresiba a few years ago and it's the flattest profile I have ever had. Certainly worth asking to try it.

Reactions: noblehead

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Lantus every night before bed seems to be working fine for me, bit confused about splitting the dose when I have Apidra during the day and the dosage is varied depending on what I eat, use Carbs and Cals as a reference.