Fasting blood glucose is driving me nuts but doc says to take it easy. Should I?

neer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ugh my fbs is hard to get down. It is always 110-115 and rarely below 100. How ever my hba1c came out 5.5 and my doc asked me to not kill my self over fbs. I have tried everything. Seems like I have to get used to this? I have checked my bs during night and it is well around 90ish but come morning it's up up up.

Reactions: scouse13

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Unfortunately some T2s will always get a liver dump to start the day.

Your doctor is right to not be too obsessive about your fasting levels.
How your tests results are, before and after food is more important.
And your doctor will always refer to your hba1c levels which I will say are very good.

Raghu_Nandan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi , sorry to crash into the conversation , but i am also facing same issue ..but my FBG vary any where from higher 5's to 7.9 . Although my PP are always on lower end (4.00-6.00 max) , i am on low carb . Anyone has clue why Fasting is spiking so much .. throughout day they stay in 5's or max 6 . it is only Fasting which i am not able to control any hints /clues ... i have tried everything like bedside snacks (peanut butter ,cheese etc) ....

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
@neer @Raghu_Nandan
Why worry about your fasting levels when there is nothing you can do to alter them,
Your liver is going to do its thing what ever you try. Concentrate on the things you can influence, your diet and exercise. Eventually your fasting numbers should improve.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others - and your doctor. There are too many things that can affect FBG levels, about which we can do very little. Far more important are your pre and post meal levels. It is just our livers doing their job looking after us, and thank goodness they do.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG levels are well known as being the last to drop for some of us even when we have good control of other numbers during the day.
It took ages for mine to finally level out (about 12 months I think). Keep measuring but don't fret if they take a while to come down.

Reactions: ringi

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the Freestyle Libre...I find that fasting glucose starts rising between 2am-4am depending on how late and heavy my dinner was...I try to stay below 5.5 mmol (middle line) as often as possible by having light early dinner.

upload_2017-6-28_9-20-17.png

After a heavy dinner...
upload_2017-6-28_9-21-25.png

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried everything known to man woman child and dog.to get my fasting bgs down but I have come to the conclusion that my liver is just over cautious and thinks that I am dying every morning
CAROL

Reactions: TooManyCrisps

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with what others have said you can't do much to change the overnight fasting BG levels it is our liver stopping us going to low during the night . My level first thing in the morning is always in the low to mid 7s whatever I do but that is fine for me.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine too. I've got my HBA1C down from 97 to 37 without meds but my FBG is still really high. 8.5 this morning. Makes me want to scream!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest I have stopped taking a fasting BG reading ,,it stresses me out and stress puts up my BGS !!
CAROL

Reactions: Serena51
D

Deleted member 388305

My experience has been, when starting a low-carb diet, that my fasting blood sugar numbers went down and were in the 80's. However, even continuing the low carb diet, they rose within a month to between 100-110, even though my glucose control was steadily improving. I t was not until I did intermittent fasting with my "eating window" encompassing breakfast and lunch (rather than lunch and dinner as many do) that my fasting blood sugars returned to the 80's or low 90's.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't allow yourself to become obsessed with FBG levels. It is the least important reading of the day, and you need to be concentrating on readings before and after eating, or any other random time of day rather than on waking.

Your liver is doing what it is supposed to do, and those who wish it would stop releasing glucose after a long period of fasting should be careful what they wish for.

If your Liver stops doing that, how will you feel if it stops doing the other vitally important functions that keep us alive every day.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I changed when I would wake up! That worked, Bgl are now normal... I tried changing dinner time, cheese before bed etc, I tested hourly through the night... the only thing that worked was to get up earlier or later. Earlier means you get it before the liver dump and later means your body has already tackled it by the time you test. Everyone is different so different things work for different people. As long as the hba1c is good... don't get stressed!

Hope you find an easy answer.